E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rear tires middle section wearing faster

11-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #23
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post
I don't think a 4 psi difference will affect you mpg too much. 34psi is already good and around what BMW recommends.
At 34psi, it lowers MPG by 3-5mpg. Plus, as I've read about the Michelin A/S 3 tires are NOT designed for MPG when compared to other make tires. I think I read it on Tirerack but I'm not sure. Plus, with that much lower pressure, "understeer" problems!!! As if we already don't have this from the getgo?
And soft ride and not sharp when turning or lane changes. Spongy feel.
I can feel the tires "dragging" a lot more. You'll lose a lot of performance edge because of this problems. The overall feeling I get is "cheap tires" driving with low pressures. It's acts like a tired mule...

I might have to go lower psi to compensate for middle section worn and let the sides do more work...like 32psi. I'm not looking forward to it at all...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #24
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmraza2 View Post
Rear wheel drive will always wear out the rear wheels before the front. Especially if they are over inflated.

Rule of thumb... Stick with 35lbs
Ever since I got the tires, I periodically checked it. Fronts are good. Now the rears I know they will wear out faster. I'm not saying "why do rears wearing much faster?"

So I started out with 38 and saw middle noticeably wearing faster. So went to 36, nothing I noticed in change. Went back to 38....
So back down to 35. Again nothing I noticed.
Now I'm on 34psi.

Mind you I had Michelin PS2 ZP tires before these set and they wore lovely evenly. I don't check treads that often as I do with A/S 3s.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #25
adiba14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Have same tires I think and I run 37-38psi in rears...no problem but only 5k on the tires so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #26
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Lol, he's running a 10" tire on a 9.5" rim and no one thinks that's the cause of the issue?

BMW always puts narrow tires on their vehicles for performance purposes. Unfortunately, that's not a good combo for tread wear.

If you were on a corvette/camaro website, people would be recommending you put 315 tread width tires on your car.

Short answer: your rims are too wide and/or your tires are too narrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #27
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
Lol, he's running a 10" tire on a 9.5" rim and no one thinks that's the cause of the issue?

BMW always puts narrow tires on their vehicles for performance purposes. Unfortunately, that's not a good combo for tread wear.

If you were on a corvette/camaro website, people would be recommending you put 315 tread width tires on your car.

Short answer: your rims are too wide and/or your tires are too narrow.
Huh? I'm not the one who had 10" wheels. That's another guy.
I'm not sure if I understand you about BMW performance = narrow tires.
Anyhow, I'm running 9.5" VMR VB3 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #28
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiba14 View Post
Have same tires I think and I run 37-38psi in rears...no problem but only 5k on the tires so far.
Are you on stock wheels 18x8.5"?
Around 5k miles later I casually checked the tread and noticed tires middle area going out more.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #29
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4 View Post
Rofl Actually you are one of few that I heard going square setup.

I had Pilot Sport before and it wore enenly. I'm stumped...
I'll stay away from Generals.
It's a bit different to drive with 255's on the front. Definately have to watch it in the rain on some curvy roads.

The 255 General's I had were great on the rear. I wanted to go square with them by buying 2 more. Unfortunately, General stopped making them saying there wasn't enough demand. I hunted for months hoping to find someone who had 2, never did find any.

But I kind of wondered if what went wrong was because the 255's were made in Brazil and the 225's were made in Mexico.....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #30
rararat4
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

I know this thread is old but, I have the same problem so here is my three cents worth.

I have a plain-Jane 328i RWD, originally 205 55R16. Maybe for 9 years I ran RFT tires winter and summer and never had uneven wear. Then, I got a 17'' rims and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires 225 45R17, which are, of course, non-RFT. I rotated them as I did the RFT tires before every season. The uneven wear was evident after one summer on the rears.

I noticed that the Pilots run very hot compared to the other tires I had. All that stickiness generates a lot of heat so I am doubtful that the discussion on what to inflate them to is going to be productive. They will get a lot of pressure inside just from rubbing the road.

By the way, I got the wheels aligned when I put the Michelins on.

Personally, I suspect that the RFT characteristic has something to do with the wear pattern too. E90 is designed for RFT. When I switched my winters to non-RFT the car became more bouncy, granted on the stock 205 55R16. Still, it was noticeable and even that winter tire has a very mild increased wear around the middle.

So, my next tires, for better or worse, are going to be RFT.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 12:58 PM   #31
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rararat4 View Post
I know this thread is old but, I have the same problem so here is my three cents worth.

I have a plain-Jane 328i RWD, originally 205 55R16. Maybe for 9 years I ran RFT tires winter and summer and never had uneven wear. Then, I got a 17'' rims and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires 225 45R17, which are, of course, non-RFT. I rotated them as I did the RFT tires before every season. The uneven wear was evident after one summer on the rears.

I noticed that the Pilots run very hot compared to the other tires I had. All that stickiness generates a lot of heat so I am doubtful that the discussion on what to inflate them to is going to be productive. They will get a lot of pressure inside just from rubbing the road.

By the way, I got the wheels aligned when I put the Michelins on.

Personally, I suspect that the RFT characteristic has something to do with the wear pattern too. E90 is designed for RFT. When I switched my winters to non-RFT the car became more bouncy, granted on the stock 205 55R16. Still, it was noticeable and even that winter tire has a very mild increased wear around the middle.

So, my next tires, for better or worse, are going to be RFT.

I've recently switched the rears to Falken Pro G5 Sport A/S 255x18.
It is wearing evenly, except the inner side wear faster and that's normal with bit of camber on -2 deg.

On unrelated issue, these Falken Pro G5 Sport A/S were very scary to drive as they were NERVOUS rearend twitching as if REAR WHEEL STEERING on its own. I later dropped the pressure from stock 39psi to 33psi and now all good. That's a lot of drop. I asked Discount Tires about this and they never heard of such issues. Thanks for your .03.
Appreciate 0