BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    M Performance Exhaust - Part Number Check

02-15-2023, 01:51 PM   #23
GriggsyG22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BSM M5C w/ 813m's

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost3dx View Post
Secondary DP only. No other exhaust mods. Just intake and turbo inlets.

I'm assuming secondary DP's are still considered a no no to BMW regarding them doing warranty work on parts? I just know I hear of them finding any way they can to blame even the most minor mods on an issue
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 01:59 PM   #24
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GriggsyG22 View Post
I'm assuming secondary DP's are still considered a no no to BMW regarding them doing warranty work on parts? I just know I hear of them finding any way they can to blame even the most minor mods on an issue
Whether you will or will not be denied warranty coverage is often dealer specific, but if BMW NA wants to find a way to void your warranty (because of an aftermarket modification), they will. Even over secondary DPs.

DPs are still absolutely considered an aftermarket modification by BMW. I posted BMW’s definition of aftermarket modifications on a previous thread recently when we were discussing intakes. If I find it again, I’ll post it here.

EDIT — Here is BMW’s definition of aftermarket that is included in the M5 New Vehicle Warranty document provided by BMW.
Attached Images

02-15-2023, 05:05 PM   #25
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS & 2022 X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Any mod will prevent any warranty coverage - if the mod had something to do with the problem.

It's BMW's responsibility to prove whatever mod you did caused whatever the problem you're having.

They can't "void" your warranty for DPs. If your heated seats fail, they're not going to go and say tough shit because you don't have secondary cats.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 05:49 PM   #26
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Any mod will prevent any warranty coverage - if the mod had something to do with the problem.

It's BMW's responsibility to prove whatever mod you did caused whatever the problem you're having.

They can't "void" your warranty for DPs. If your heated seats fail, they're not going to go and say tough shit because you don't have secondary cats.
Agreed — thanks for the clarification. I meant that if you install DPs then have a related failure, they can choose to not honor warranty. Of course some dealerships really reach to show relation/causation. Heated seats warranty coverage denial over DPs? No. Exhaust system for example? You’re getting closer.

Boost pressure is off? That could be a million things. “Let’s try to say it’s because of the DPs.”

Part of what I meant when I said, if they want to find a way to deny coverage, they will.
      02-15-2023, 09:04 PM   #27
GriggsyG22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I know this but the warranty reserves them the right to say "This caused this" when its anything under the hood or sensor related. They could very much just say it's the dp's. However how could I get them to "prove" that it's what caused it without it being some obnoxious and pointless legal battle?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 09:07 PM   #28
GriggsyG22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

For example. Had a buddy who was a BMW tech and they had a guy come in who needed injectors. Dude had downpipes and they didn't void warranty (legally they can't) but they did make him pay out of pocket for the injectors.

We all know that it's quite a darn stretch to try and blame the dp's for that
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 09:35 PM   #29
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I know this but the warranty reserves them the right to say "This caused this" when its anything under the hood or sensor related. They could very much just say it's the dp's. However how could I get them to "prove" that it's what caused it without it being some obnoxious and pointless legal battle?
^ THIS.
      02-15-2023, 09:36 PM   #30
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For example. Had a buddy who was a BMW tech and they had a guy come in who needed injectors. Dude had downpipes and they didn't void warranty (legally they can't) but they did make him pay out of pocket for the injectors.

We all know that it's quite a darn stretch to try and blame the dp's for that
Exactly the type of situation I was thinking of.

EDIT — And to clarify, when I said void your warranty, I didn’t mean your entire warranty. I should have more clearly and correctly stated that they can elect to deny warranty coverage for that specific component; effectively voiding your warranty for that specific component. Thanks for keeping me on my toes, gentlemen.