BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Active Sound, MPE, and tuning questions on new-to-me M5C

03-11-2024, 10:32 AM   #1
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

Active Sound, MPE, and tuning questions on new-to-me M5C

I bought a 2021 M5C that came with ///MPE.

Coming from an F80 M3, the interior of the F90 seems awfully quiet. This was a surprise considering the installed MPE. I imagine that the previous owner must have disabled active sound. I generally appreciate that the interior is quiet, but I am curious as to how loud it would get with active sound on. I imagine that MPE has nothing to do with the sounds that Active Sound produces, correct? Hard to imagine the MPE makes Active Sound generate different sounds.

Is it annoying to turn Active Sound on/off? It seems to require coding form what I read.

While on that subject (sort of), how do I know if the previous owner tuned the car or not? For that matter, how do I know if there is any other type coding done?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 12:41 AM   #2
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
How many miles do you have
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 08:04 AM   #3
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSHNGRY View Post
How many miles do you have
I don't see how it's relevant, but 33k.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 09:05 AM   #4
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
I don't have MPE but the M5 is supposed to be much quieter than the M3. It is supposed to be more luxurious and a more isolated feeling. I've only driven the M3 at Thermal, and it was a bit more fun because you feel more of the track. But I could and did lap in the M5 for hours because it is so much more comfortable and quieter.

So many focus on the V8 vs I6 or the power numbers (M5 vs M550 vs M3) but it is more than that. The M5 isn't just a more powerful car than the M3, it is in a different market segment. I liked back in the early 2000s when I think C&D named the category best: Über Sedan. Unfortunately, now the stupid ride service has ruined that name. It was supposed to be "I want luxury and performance and handling and utility all in one package and I don't want to make any huge trade-off".

The definition of a luxury car has changed over the years now that most features are available in all cars. But to me 1 requirement of a luxury car is a minimum of 8 cylinders.

All that said, a little more exhaust noise would be nice, some of the time.
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ663.00
      03-12-2024, 08:09 PM   #5
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Majority of exhausts have some “break in” time. This is more so with packing style exhausts, but many people report certain systems do get louder over time.
With yours having 33K it would not be the case.
For your active sound question, all your getting is speaker noise, no actual exhaust noise. If you have active sound on or off it doesn’t effect the actual exhaust sound just a fake noise played from speakers.

If the previous owner did other coding and tune you could go to your HP guages to see if they are reading correctly or if the values have been modified.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 08:50 PM   #6
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

BimmerCode allows you to easily turn off ASD. To be honest, I don't really notice much with it on or off (I have MPE, as well). I usually leave it off, but this most recent update re-enabled it. Since I have an oil change at the local dealer/service tomorrow, I am holding off putting back the settings so I don't get scolded by some bonehead SA.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 11:39 PM   #7
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
So- I too came from an f8x M car w MPE.

Upon delivery of the f90 (ordered w MPE) I was severely let down on “in car” exhaust sound.

Everyone here told me after a few thousand miles that the exhaust will suddenly break in and be much louder

I figured you had the same issue- hence why I asked your mileage

I once turned off “active sound” and it made me sad. Yes it makes a big difference. Maybe take it in and re initiate it?

The f8x and f90 are designed for different reasons- obviously- so don’t be bummed be exhaust note!
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 1