BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Wheel sizing question. Help!

05-14-2024, 08:19 PM   #1
Rselopal824
Rselopal
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
Wheel sizing question. Help!

Long story short, hit a pothole, bent and cracked rear wheel. I took it to a reputable and trust worthy wheel and tire shop who said they would repair it if I really wanted them to however they strongly suggest that I don’t considering the crack is on the face of the wheel and not on the inner barrel. They advised that the crack can get larger over time and potential for slow leak eventually.

To play it safe, I acted (too) quickly and luckily found someone selling a single wheel in great condition only to later realize that the wheel I just bought from him was for the front *facepalm*. I totally forgot to double check before buying it

I had the shop install a 285 tire on it and I’m currently running it in the back. Considering that the tire size is correct and there’s no issues with running that size tire on a 9.5 wheel, can this cause any long term damage?

Appreciate any input/advice!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 09:41 PM   #2
pmsteinm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
I don't think that is a good idea long term (as a temp spare until you get a correct one no big deal). The rolling diameter of the tire changes slightly based on the rim width (you can read all about that at tire rack). You are going to put a little more wear on the differential. It might also make your car pull slightly to one side if the diameter difference is large. The offset is slightly different too. If this was an econo-box I'd say don't worry about it. But in theory we all own this car for its handling, so why take a chance at messing it up. That said there are a lot of cars on this forum with *interesting* wheel/tire/lowering combinations so maybe it doesn't matter after all.

Since you live up north you could use that wheel to create a second set of wheels for winter use. Or just keep it as a full-size spare (that way even if you don't have it in the car and you get a flat you can uber home and pick up the wheel and jack and get your car home without a tow truck).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 10:44 PM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I agree with everything pmsteinm wrote.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2024, 09:16 AM   #4
Rselopal824
Rselopal
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
I don't think that is a good idea long term (as a temp spare until you get a correct one no big deal). The rolling diameter of the tire changes slightly based on the rim width (you can read all about that at tire rack). You are going to put a little more wear on the differential. It might also make your car pull slightly to one side if the diameter difference is large. The offset is slightly different too. If this was an econo-box I'd say don't worry about it. But in theory we all own this car for its handling, so why take a chance at messing it up. That said there are a lot of cars on this forum with *interesting* wheel/tire/lowering combinations so maybe it doesn't matter after all.

Since you live up north you could use that wheel to create a second set of wheels for winter use. Or just keep it as a full-size spare (that way even if you don't have it in the car and you get a flat you can uber home and pick up the wheel and jack and get your car home without a tow truck).
Totally makes sense. I appreciate you taking the time to share that with me. I’ll definitely be looking for the correct wheel
Appreciate 0