BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    First Road Trip/Roof Rails/Cargo Box/Spare Tire

09-20-2022, 06:40 PM   #1
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
First off, my apologies for so many various topics in one post, but I thought this was the best way!

I know there are a few roof rail and roof cargo box threads here on the F90 forum. But, when I was doing research, I could not find everything that I needed in one place that would be a complete solution for the M5, so I've created this thread with the intention and hope that someone looking for a roof rail and cargo box set up in the future will be able to have a guaranteed and bulletproof solution.

I am taking the M5 on its first road trip from the Northeast to the Carolinas with many stops in between. I felt uncomfortable doing this trip without a spare tire (more on that later), and I needed more space than the trunk would provide for all of my gear.

I ordered the roof rails (BMW PN: 82-71-2-360951) from my local BMW dealer who matched the lowest price I found online. I hate that they're silver when every exterior surface of my M5 is black, but I have already scheduled to have them powder coated black. I paired them with a Thule Force XT (Large) roof box ($749 from REI, https://www.rei.com/product/143756/t...8;gclsrc=aw.ds). Though it's noted as black, it's dark grey. Thule and Yakima both make gloss black ones which I would have much preferred, but I needed this thing today and this was one of the few available options. It has a tactile surface that isn't smooth like most other roof boxes. It's just the right size for the M5 — the medium was too small, and the extra large was too long. It's long enough (64") to cover the full length of the roof, without any visible overhang from the cabin, from either the front or the rear. I think it looks pretty good.

The box attaches to the roof rails using four two prong claws on a sliding track to accommodate various bar thicknesses, shapes, and spacings; one in each corner, that have a clicking torque indicator to let you know you've locked them in perfectly. The interior of the box has three sets of two anchor points (at the front, middle, and rear) for securing cargo with the three included high quality ratcheting straps.

The user manual says that it is rated for 80 mph, but I was consistently able to cruise between 90-95 mph with no issues whatsoever. Also worth mentioning, unlike any other box that I have used in the past, this one did not make any noise whatsoever, at speeds up to 75 mph, whether empty, full, or somewhere in between. Up to 95 mph has minimal noise that gets covered up pretty easily. Combined with the fact that you can not see it from inside the cabin while in the driver's seat, you almost wouldn't know that it's there. One of my favorite parts is also that it is made in the USA. It certainly shows.

There is more than enough clearance between the roof and the bottom of the box when places upon the rails to accommodate the shark fin. The presence of the rails and box did not interfere with SiriusXM.

The box only opens towards the passenger side. The sales person gave me an ominous warning that if I tried to open it the other way, I would break it permanently, and it would never close again. I picked up a small, thin, and flat folding one step stepstool to aid in taking things in and out.

I entered the parking garage which my master detailer is located in. The garage has 6' 6" of clearance, and I had an inch or two to spare with the car at stock Comp height. He washed the entire car with the roof box attached, and the interior remained completely dry. There was also enough clearance between the bottom of the box and the roof for him to wash and dry it, even with the whole setup in place.

A trip of this length and distance couldn't be done without a spare tire. This trip was planned last minute (less than 48 hour before departure), and so I researched Modern Spare, having been familiar with them from past forum posts. When I got on their website, I built my kit and saw the website stated it would be ready to ship by October 6th. I called them and left a message and got a call back within ten minutes. An extremely nice gentleman named Tyler let me know he was returning my call. I told him my situation and explained that I needed the kit ASAP. He dropped everything he was doing, built the entire kit himself in under 90 minutes, and it was picked up by FedEx from their Ogden, Utah warehouse less than two hours after my first phone call to him. After paying an exceedingly expensive shipping cost for overnight delivery (no fault of their's, they charged me less than the actual shipping cost, knocking $20 off the actual cost when two day shipping forced too late of a delivery date), the spare arrived before noon the next day with Custom Critical Express tier service. The spare tire kit has a heavy duty black polyester bag with reinforced carry handle and shoulder strap that contains everything within it — spare tire mounted on a black wheel, tire iron, jack kit, and tire jack point cushions to prevent vehicle damage. A spacer is also included for cars with CCBs. It weighs 50 pounds all together. The really good news: the entire kit fits in the roof box if centered! I secured it using the center mounting points and the included ratcheting tie down strap. I tested the load with spirited, but relatively low speed city driving all the way up to 95 mph. It didn't budge an inch!

If you've contemplated a spare tire for your F90, these guys were fantastic to work with — honest, punctual, bend over backwards accommodating, and very proud of the work they do. The $510 kit (cheaper options start at $400 for just the wheel and tire) is reasonably priced for such a highly quality and aesthetically appealing package that includes everything you need. The $48 flat rate shipping charge gets you the kit within 5 business days. They've even been so thoughtful as to include a tire bag to contain the flat tire once removed. I certainly won't carry the kit day to day, but it's indispensable for road trips.

I'll be hitting the road early morning and will create a thread for the trip itself, which I'll fully document, when I return. Just a few pics here — more detailed shots of the roof box and rails (and the scenery!) to come!
Attached Images

09-21-2022, 10:39 AM   #2
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I have Thule Racks and the fit kit for the M5. I have had the same racks since 1986 and get new 'fit kit' for each car. LOL. And a Thule box like yours. Very handy. The mount on the M5 is pretty interesting with a screw in fitting.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2022, 11:45 AM   #3
Jarmadon
Private
Rep
Drives: 22' F90 M5C

I bought the modern spare wheel/tire as well. I don't have CCBs and got a "new" 19in spare that doesn't require a spacer. I was sketched out by that but seems to fit ok.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2022, 09:10 PM   #4
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I bought the Modern Spare kit off a previous forum member before I even bought the F90 and I keep it in the trunk most of the time in case of an emergency. It is tied down with a ratchet strap to the 2 metal points on the side and has never moved. While I have never used it on my M5, I discovered that it does fit a Porsche Macan when one of my friends popped 2 tires in a remote place at night in a downpour last year. I wasn't sure if it was going fit but we had no other choice but to try it because she only had 1 spare. It worked!
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2022, 09:25 PM   #5
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5 / X5

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Do you have a carbon fibre roof? My Thule box makes an enormous amount of noise above 75. Also, the Thule fit kit pads have ruined my PPF at the edges where it attaches. I don't use it with the box anymore because of that.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2022, 11:46 PM   #6
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
I have Thule Racks and the fit kit for the M5. I have had the same racks since 1986 and get new 'fit kit' for each car. LOL. And a Thule box like yours. Very handy. The mount on the M5 is pretty interesting with a screw in fitting.

Mike
I read you concerns about the mounting method on Scotchtion's thread. A legitimate concern, but I lease these and don't keep them long enough to worry about it.

I like the way the bars mount, they feel very secure to me after using the paint removal screw.

Very handy indeed!
      09-21-2022, 11:48 PM   #7
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmadon View Post
I bought the modern spare wheel/tire as well. I don't have CCBs and got a "new" 19in spare that doesn't require a spacer. I was sketched out by that but seems to fit ok.
How old is the one you purchased? Mine is a 19" also, but I also do not have CCBs so I don't believe I'd ever have to use it either way. My understanding is that non-CCB cars never needed the spacer.
      09-21-2022, 11:53 PM   #8
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM3 View Post
I bought the Modern Spare kit off a previous forum member before I even bought the F90 and I keep it in the trunk most of the time in case of an emergency. It is tied down with a ratchet strap to the 2 metal points on the side and has never moved. While I have never used it on my M5, I discovered that it does fit a Porsche Macan when one of my friends popped 2 tires in a remote place at night in a downpour last year. I wasn't sure if it was going fit but we had no other choice but to try it because she only had 1 spare. It worked!
Very smart idea, but the amount of space it takes up is substantial, especially in my case when coupled with trunk organizer that takes up the entire width between the wheel wells, and it about 18 inches deep. One of the reasons I went with the Thule box was to be able to fit two 30" full size aluminum suitcases (on their sides, parallel to one another) while not having to remove the trunk organizer. It's an exact and tight fit, but it works! Also, fortunately, as I mentioned, it fits exactly in the center of the roof box, helping stabilize its center of gravity a bit and prevent shifting.

That's awesome that it fits the Macan. I suppose that is the upshot of two sets of holes to mount it. Did you happen to catch whether it used the same set (I believe the inner set) of holes as the M5?
      09-22-2022, 12:02 AM   #9
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryBark View Post
Do you have a carbon fibre roof? My Thule box makes an enormous amount of noise above 75. Also, the Thule fit kit pads have ruined my PPF at the edges where it attaches. I don't use it with the box anymore because of that.
Affirmative on the CF roof. To be candid, I hated the Fit Kit, and every thing I read about people having problems with the roof rack/cargo box setups revolves around the Fit Kit, noise included. I can confirm that even at triple digit speeds, the set up as I have it makes very little noise. Thule makes wind deflectors to help with the noise. I thought I was going to get one, but it turned out to be wholly unnecessary with the set up as configured. I am assuming you are using Thule rails as well? That's what everyone complains about it seems. The claws that come with the Thule box attach to the BMW rails perfectly, and didn't budge one millimeter through nearly 1,000 miles so far. If your Thule box has the claws, I'd recommend trying the BMW rails and attach with the claws instead of the Fit Kit. With BMW's rails and the Thule box I used, there is enough space between the roof and the box to minimize noise. Further, the claws are much less bulky than the Fit Kit components, so I think that makes it less noisy as well. Also, the BMW rails and their mounting points don't come in to contact with painted surfaces at all on the car, so no need to to worry about scratches or PPF damage!
      09-22-2022, 05:03 AM   #10
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Yes, I have the Thule rails as well. I'll take a look at bmw. My box has the claws so should attach to anything I think.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2022, 05:05 AM   #11
Jarmadon
Private
Rep
Drives: 22' F90 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Quote:
How old is the one you purchased? Mine is a 19" also, but I also do not have CCBs so I don't believe I'd ever have to use it either way. My understanding is that non-CCB cars never needed the spacer.
About a year. When I ordered mine they were out of the spacers, after a week I got this incredibly long email. They basically just said they didn't have the spacer, but had these newer 19" wheels that won't require the spacer.

They went on explaining how the 19" would eventually be what they sell, but would cost more. They were sending it to me so I didn't have to wait and don't need to pay more, blah blah blah. The website still says they sell an 18" wheel with spacer, so the whole thing had me a little skeptical at first.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2022, 06:12 AM   #12
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Since you were putting a big box on your roof, could you have just brought one of your winter wheels, a snn M5 a battery impact and a small scissor jack? I like to have a spare on trips over 100 miles and have put one of my extra full size wheels in the trunk with other cars.

For my E90 M3, which had a small trunk compared to the F90, I eventually bought a steel mini spare. For the F90, I would probably go aluminum mini spare. The comment about the BMW spare fitting the Macan is worth looking into — I have a 21 Cayenne S that has a deflated aluminum mini spare that I could test fit on the M5 but it’s tire aspect ratio is probably too big since SUV have more sidewall. An odd size tire can mess up differentials.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2022, 06:40 AM   #13
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Quote:
That's awesome that it fits the Macan. I suppose that is the upshot of two sets of holes to mount it. Did you happen to catch whether it used the same set (I believe the inner set) of holes as the M5?
I did not notice which set of holes were used because it was pouring when I had to do this and I just wanted to finish. She had the dealer take it off when they replaced the tires so I did not see it then either.

It does take up space in the trunk and I have removed it when heading to the airport in order to fit the suitcases but for day-to-day use it has not been an issue.

Just before I got the F90 I was on the West Side Highway in NYC and saw another F90 limping along in the right lane with a tire flopping off the rim as he was crawling up to the next exit. I felt bad and after I dropped my family off where they had to go, I went back to try to find the car where I guessed it would be in order to offer up the spare but I did not find them.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2022, 07:07 AM   #14
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I have AAA Premier, which provides 1 tow up to 200 miles with any others that year limited to 100 miles. Have not used it on the F90 or Cayenne, but have used it for other vehicles and have had my E36 M3 turbo towed from the dragstrip 40 miles home few times over the years. I like to get the cars home so I can work on them rather than a shop, though that would not be possible on a road trip.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2022, 02:59 PM   #15
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Long trips, spare, jack, plug kit...

Short trips, jack and plug kit...

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2022, 08:32 PM   #16
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, I have the Thule rails as well. I'll take a look at bmw. My box has the claws so should attach to anything I think.
I think that may alleviate your noise issue! You should check into whether it's returnable to wherever you buy it from in case it doesn't. Also, do you have the same Thule Force box? My research led me to believe some of the older ones were less aerodynamic and as a result, noisier.
      09-22-2022, 08:34 PM   #17
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
About a year. When I ordered mine they were out of the spacers, after a week I got this incredibly long email. They basically just said they didn't have the spacer, but had these newer 19" wheels that won't require the spacer.

They went on explaining how the 19" would eventually be what they sell, but would cost more. They were sending it to me so I didn't have to wait and don't need to pay more, blah blah blah. The website still says they sell an 18" wheel with spacer, so the whole thing had me a little skeptical at first.
Just double checked the website and you're right, definitely still listed as 18. I am definitely going to reach out to them for clarification on this when I am back. The time when it's actually needed would be a terrible time to figure out whether I actually need the spacer or not. I'll report back!
      09-22-2022, 08:36 PM   #18
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I think that may alleviate your noise issue! You should check into whether it's returnable to wherever you buy it from in case it doesn't. Also, do you have the same Thule Force box? My research led me to believe some of the older ones were less aerodynamic and as a result, noisier.
I have the new Thule Force XT, the same one I think.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2022, 08:42 PM   #19
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Since you were putting a big box on your roof, could you have just brought one of your winter wheels, a snn M5 a battery impact and a small scissor jack? I like to have a spare on trips over 100 miles and have put one of my extra full size wheels in the trunk with other cars.

For my E90 M3, which had a small trunk compared to the F90, I eventually bought a steel mini spare. For the F90, I would probably go aluminum mini spare. The comment about the BMW spare fitting the Macan is worth looking into — I have a 21 Cayenne S that has a deflated aluminum mini spare that I could test fit on the M5 but it’s tire aspect ratio is probably too big since SUV have more sidewall. An odd size tire can mess up differentials.
Great idea!

But I actually don't run a separate winter wheel setup for my M5s. I love my 706Ms, and with leasing the car, it makes more financial sense to have my summer tires removed from my wheels, and the winter tires mounted on the same set. The swap and storage costs me $600/year ($300 per seasonal swap), so only $1800 for the duration of my lease. A dedicated set would obviously be more expensive. Have been doing this with previous M5, and will continue to do so with my new one.

While I don't have the exact measurements of my 706Ms handy, based on a quick look, I don't believe a 706M wheel would fit in there with a tire mounted if I did. I will take measurements when I am back and look into this though! It's worth mentioning that even if a full size does fit, it would take up a lot of the cargo room. The spare takes up probably 50-ish % less room. I suppose the answer to that would be to go with a bigger box, but I didn't want any overhang.
      09-22-2022, 08:51 PM   #20
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM3 View Post
Quote:
I did not notice which set of holes were used because it was pouring when I had to do this and I just wanted to finish. She had the dealer take it off when they replaced the tires so I did not see it then either.

It does take up space in the trunk and I have removed it when heading to the airport in order to fit the suitcases but for day-to-day use it has not been an issue.

Just before I got the F90 I was on the West Side Highway in NYC and saw another F90 limping along in the right lane with a tire flopping off the rim as he was crawling up to the next exit. I felt bad and after I dropped my family off where they had to go, I went back to try to find the car where I guessed it would be in order to offer up the spare but I did not find them.
There is some comfort to be had with knowing it's always back there, but I typically transport multiple Bankers Boxes of files with minimal notice, especially when we get docudumped, and my trunk organizer eats up the space that could otherwise hold two of them. The M5 is my DD and by extension my mobile office. I wish it could just go where a spare tire should go under the trunk floor, but obviously there is no room and the battery is under there.

You are definitely the reliable friend! Kudos to you for not just helping out a friend in the pouring rain, but also attempting to help someone you don't know at all. Even if you couldn't find the other M5, your actions are commendable, and you certainly make the world a better place by giving good unto it!
      09-22-2022, 08:57 PM   #21
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I have AAA Premier, which provides 1 tow up to 200 miles with any others that year limited to 100 miles. Have not used it on the F90 or Cayenne, but have used it for other vehicles and have had my E36 M3 turbo towed from the dragstrip 40 miles home few times over the years. I like to get the cars home so I can work on them rather than a shop, though that would not be possible on a road trip.
That's great peace of mind to have. Agreed, in the context of a road trip, I'd love to be able the get the car to a dealership/tire shop to put on any full size wheel that fits if PS4Ss are not available. Then just get your usual tire once you've returned home if need be. Without the spare, you're looking at a tow there if it's significant damage that can not be temporarily repaired. I have truly been out in the middle of nowhere on this road trip so far in between stops, and I couldn't imagine having to wait for a tow in some of the places I've been over the last few days!
      09-22-2022, 09:03 PM   #22
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Long trips, spare, jack, plug kit...

Short trips, jack and plug kit...

Mike
+1 on this. I have not taken a trip of this distance with my M5 (or any of my cars that don't have a spare). But I frequently make the four hour drive between my city and the next major one I drive to often without a spare. I have been lucky that any damaged tires I've had with the M5s have been minor enough that they weren't anything Fix a Flat and my compressor couldn't handle. With that being said though, I've had 3 tire issues in the last year; a nail, a screw, and a significant bolt, all within a few miles of my dealer. No tow needed, and I did have patch repairs done on a couple of them while awaiting a new tire to come in, and the guys hate to clean that stuff out from inside a tire though.