BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 Competition question???

11-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #155
Muntter
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Hey mightyhoof

“ OK i will install this week and UPDATE you all”

How did you get on? Keen to know as I have the same issue
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 10:00 AM   #156
Mightyhoof
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 COMP

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muntter View Post
Hey mightyhoof

“ OK i will install this week and UPDATE you all”

How did you get on? Keen to know as I have the same issue
Will be installed on friday as soon as its on ill will let you guys now
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #157
Jocko78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 / X3 M40i

2020 m5

Mine is a week old and 2020 non-comp US spec. Pops and bangs like crazy in park and while driving. Curious to see what your car would sound like with an aftermarket exhaust, wonder if it would somehow still be muted.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 12:17 PM   #158
Mightyhoof
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 COMP

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Soooo despite geniuses from AC Schnitzer saying it will work it didn't......Nothing more to add here than im sad as f#$k.....
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      11-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #159
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C, '17 911 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyhoof View Post
Soooo despite geniuses from AC Schnitzer saying it will work it didn't......Nothing more to add here than im sad as f#$k.....
We tried telling you an axle back wouldn't make a difference, but you didn't want to listen. The only way to bring the pops and bangs back is through an ECU remap, which unfortunately will void your warranty.
      12-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #160
M5NL
Rep
Drives: M5 2020

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyhoof View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience !
I got mine finally yesterday and yeah the sound is sad. After the 2k maintenance I will have the OPF removed and the pops and bangs put back with a tuning
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #161
bpma
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5C Stage 2

Does anyone have a sound comparison of OPF vs non OPF sound? Preferable on the same car, on which the OPF has been removed and the ECU tuned to bring back the burble?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #162
M5NL
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpma View Post
Does anyone have a sound comparison of OPF vs non OPF sound? Preferable on the same car, on which the OPF has been removed and the ECU tuned to bring back the burble?
give me a few months I will be posting that once I have done the 2k maintenance
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #163
bushboy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Wish I'd known!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGillies View Post
Br0adSw0rd: I certainly feel the pain, please keep pushing BMW, the more people complain the more likely they are to find a resolve. I am chasing daily however so far have nothing from BMW, Sytner Nottingham are doing the chasing.

Interestingly Sytners are working hard as they have 5 customers in the same position as myself all of whom ordered the car after driving the Sytner demo model. One client ordered an M5 (non-comp) and paid for the MPE and is devastated, I feel the same as the car is not the same without the improved noise.

What made it worse was Sytner Nottingham gave me their car for two weeks while they were trying to resolve my own, it had the MPE and sounded fantastic so it was a "look what you could of had" moment!

Keep pushing BMW, please keep complaining!
Having previously owned an M4CS with an amazing exhaust note, and having seen the reviews online for the M5 Comp I went ahead an purchased one from Williams BMW.

Picked up my M5 Comp yesterday. Amazing car but couldn't seem to work out how to make the exhaust crackle and pop. Started looking online to see if this was a wider problem. I now find out from this thread (post purchase ) that BMW have quietened their exhaust and removed the burble.

To say I am disappointed is a total understatement. The exhaust sounds lame and muted. I never would have purchased the car if I'd known. The exhaust note is part of the theatre of owning a V8. I need to find a way to get the burble back - I don't mind if the warranty is void. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Totally agree with AGillles - £2k for black tail pipes is unacceptable...BMW you should be ashamed for pulling the fleece over (loyal) customers eyes. Be open and transparent. You are happy to take your customers' money but keep it a secret you're toning down a key element of a performance machine which costs near £100k! M Division - really not happy!

Last edited by bushboy; 01-03-2020 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 03:28 PM   #164
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
Having previously owned an M4CS with an amazing exhaust note, and having seen the reviews online for the M5 Comp I went ahead an purchased one from Williams BMW.

Picked up my M5 Comp yesterday. Amazing car but couldn't seem to work out how to make the exhaust crackle and pop. Started looking online to see if this was a wider problem. I now find out from this thread (post purchase ) that BMW have quietened their exhaust and removed the burble.

To say I am disappointed is a total understatement. The exhaust sounds lame and muted. I never would have purchased the car if I'd known. The exhaust note is part of the theatre of owning a V8. I need to find a way to get the burble back - I don't mind if the warranty is void. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Totally agree with AGillles - £2k for black tail pipes is unacceptable...BMW you should be ashamed for pulling the fleece over (loyal) customers eyes. Be open and transparent. You are happy to take your customers' money but keep it a secret you're toning down a key element of a performance machine which costs near £100k! M Division - shame on you!
Still plenty of crack and pop here in the U.S. A little too much to my liking actually. However, it's very easy to add that back in with a tune. Especially if you're not worried about warranty.
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #165
bushboy
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
Still plenty of crack and pop here in the U.S. A little too much to my liking actually. However, it's very easy to add that back in with a tune. Especially if you're not worried about warranty.
I need to find a local tuning company here in the UK who can do it for me. Also need to ensure I can go back to them should BMW do a software upgrade during a service and revert the car to the previous ECU mapping. Anyone know of one in the North West of England? As I say, not even interested in additional HP. Just want the sound back.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 06:14 PM   #166
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
I need to find a local tuning company here in the UK who can do it for me. Also need to ensure I can go back to them should BMW do a software upgrade during a service and revert the car to the previous ECU mapping. Anyone know of one in the North West of England? As I say, not even interested in additional HP. Just want the sound back.
Imran@Evolve has a well tested tune and he is in the UK. He can adjust the burble as well.

And you don't have to go anywhere to do it. You just need to by a $5 cable and have a laptop or PC running windows and plug into your card OBDII port and you can flash back to your stock tune at anytime
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 04:55 AM   #167
bushboy
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
Imran@Evolve has a well tested tune and he is in the UK. He can adjust the burble as well.

And you don't have to go anywhere to do it. You just need to by a $5 cable and have a laptop or PC running windows and plug into your card OBDII port and you can flash back to your stock tune at anytime
Wicked. Thanks pal. Will contact Imran.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #168
Apl259F90
Registered
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Hi DGilles, Can you please update as to what answer BMW have given you. Picked up my car 17th of December and have exactly the same issue. Drove the demonstrator and was epic... thats what sold me. I have complained in writing and the salesman called me and also messaged me to say it would get better after the running in service. I have questioned this as I think its a load of BS... I am also gutted but not enough to hand the car back as I love the performance. Was at a BMW group meet on Sunday and they reckoned a tuner could retune the pops back in. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #169
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C, '17 911 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apl259F90 View Post
Hi DGilles, Can you please update as to what answer BMW have given you. Picked up my car 17th of December and have exactly the same issue. Drove the demonstrator and was epic... thats what sold me. I have complained in writing and the salesman called me and also messaged me to say it would get better after the running in service. I have questioned this as I think its a load of BS... I am also gutted but not enough to hand the car back as I love the performance. Was at a BMW group meet on Sunday and they reckoned a tuner could retune the pops back in. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance
You're correct on both parts - it won't get better after the running in service and yes, a tuner can bring the pops back.
      01-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #170
Apl259F90
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the reply. Will tuning it be a warranty issue though?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 04:00 PM   #171
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Yes, it risks BMW accepting (and hence covering financially) warranty claims on affected components where affected is anything downstream from the modified component. Stated another way, the warranty of your power seats, for example, is unaffected whereas warranty claims on say XDrive almost certainly will be. It's not quite as 'black and white' as the picture I'm painting but it's moving in that direction.

Note: you cannot prevent BMW from detecting ECU/TCU mods which are required to restore the exhaust note.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:34 AM   #172
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Tuning kills the Drivetrain/engine warantee. Best leave well alone unless you have lots of spare cash to spend.
      01-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #173
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

Others in EU have changed exhaust with good result. Or try an Xpipe on the Comp exhaust. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #174
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 2019

Quote:
I had the same problem and wanted answer to the exhaust issue it took some time but this was the response from BMW.

“The vehicle has been built in accordance to EU regulations in place for all vehicle manufacturers at the time the vehicle was produced, for both emission and noise pollution controls.

This requirement is most noticeable while the vehicle is stationary. Whilst in motion the vehicle will retain a sporty tone.

While we recognise there may be disappointment with this unavoidable regulatory change, unfortunately we are not able to offer a solution to the concern raised around the tone of the exhaust. The vehicle in this instance is consistent with a factory standard and as a result I am sorry we would not consider compensation.”
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 12:39 PM   #175
Apl259F90
Registered
Rep

Ian, thanks for the copied BMW reply. Guess I have no chance pushing this then and will lead to nothing. Will have to accept this. I noticed it sounded good through a tunnel whilst in motion. Still love the car and its way better than the alternatives out there as new cars anyway... I’m not going to mess with it as its a waste of money and also I wont risk the warranty on a new car... thanks for the confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #176
M5NL
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian335xd View Post
I had the same problem and wanted answer to the exhaust issue it took some time but this was the response from BMW.

“The vehicle has been built in accordance to EU regulations in place for all vehicle manufacturers at the time the vehicle was produced, for both emission and noise pollution controls.

This requirement is most noticeable while the vehicle is stationary. Whilst in motion the vehicle will retain a sporty tone.

While we recognise there may be disappointment with this unavoidable regulatory change, unfortunately we are not able to offer a solution to the concern raised around the tone of the exhaust. The vehicle in this instance is consistent with a factory standard and as a result I am sorry we would not consider compensation.”
Thanks for sharing indeed!
I wrote to them in November and still have not got an official reply beside the "we are working on it" if they take 3 months for this reply, I will be even more pissed off. I asked for compensation of the sport exhaust option which I think considering the rip off is the bare minimum.
Appreciate 0