BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Low coolant warning but no residue near expansion tank, normal?

03-24-2024, 02:01 PM   #1
logicators
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Just got the low coolant warning for the first time on my 2023 M5 (about 12k miles).

Checked the expansion tank but don’t see any signs of a leak / residue around cap or tank. Is it normal for the car to just use the coolant?

I am currently out of state on a road trip. It’s Sunday and nearby dealer isn’t open, so will stop by at auto zone or AAP to get some aftermarket coolant added.

Here is the expansion tank picture:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 05:16 PM   #2
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post
Just got the low coolant warning for the first time on my 2023 M5 (about 12k miles).

Checked the expansion tank but don’t see any signs of a leak / residue around cap or tank. Is it normal for the car to just use the coolant?

I am currently out of state on a road trip. It’s Sunday and nearby dealer isn’t open, so will stop by at auto zone or AAP to get some aftermarket coolant added.

Here is the expansion tank picture:
Did you look in the tank to see just how low is the level? Have you checked the level before? If so how long ago? If possible I would swing by a BMW dealership in the morning and purchase coolant or have them top it off if that is an option.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2024, 05:20 PM   #3
logicators
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Did you look in the tank to see just how low is the level? Have you checked the level before? If so how long ago? If possible I would swing by a BMW dealership in the morning and purchase coolant or have them top it off if that is an option.
Nope never opened it before. I did buy some BMW spec coolant from AAP and topped it off since I still have 3 hours of driving to do tonight and didn’t want to take a risk. Will get it checked as well.

Here is what I used:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m_content=ITEM
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 05:31 AM   #4
GTTC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post
Nope never opened it before. I did buy some BMW spec coolant from AAP and topped it off since I still have 3 hours of driving to do tonight and didn’t want to take a risk. Will get it checked as well.

Here is what I used:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m_content=ITEM
Careful topping off. You might add too much and it will leak off the cap. Look at the High/low tab and keep it in the middle (closer to low level to account for expansion). I would not use anything other than BMW HT-12 antifreeze/coolant
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 12:52 PM   #5
logicators
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTC View Post
Careful topping off. You might add too much and it will leak off the cap. Look at the High/low tab and keep it in the middle (closer to low level to account for expansion). I would not use anything other than BMW HT-12 antifreeze/coolant
Sorry topping off was the wrong terminology. I added a bit to bring it above min. Just returned from the local BMW dealership. They looked into it, and added more blue coolant to get it to max. They also looked at the bottle I had and said it’s fine for this car.

Expansion tank still seems ok. Will need to keep an eye.
Appreciate 1
GTTC55.00
      04-16-2024, 08:29 AM   #6
johnny5ive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

FYI this seems to pop up every once in a while when there's a drastic temperature change. I get the warning and then it goes away in a few miles usually. Had it checked and the coolant is never low.
Appreciate 1