BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    "Stop-Sale" Ordered on my car today due to "emissions/fuel tank" service bulletin

11-17-2020, 07:32 PM   #111
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 G83 M4C xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccarps2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianF90M5 View Post
Car was in for servicing and this was on my work order ... looks like I'll be scheduling another visit sometime in the future
Thanks for this. Make sense, as there isn't an authorized repair yet. Or some of us would be taking delivery of their cars (such as me).

A repair could have been authorized by BMW 30 seconds after that service ticket was printed, it would still show the same, and you would be scheduling a return visit to the dealer once an official recall was announced.

As I said in a recent post. I trust my dealer. Was just told a fix is coming next week. If next week comes and goes with no fix.... Then my trust/relationship with them is over, and most likely the same with BMW. This whole stop/hold experience has been an absolute mess.

Finally I go back to some common sense with this. M550i, 530i, X5 40i,X5 50i, X6 40i, etc. etc. aren't frozen. Yet they share the same basic fuel tank/vent as the the M's that are stopped. This lends to a programming problem. While these can be problematic, the leap from what works in many of the same platform cars to the M's can't be monumental.
Agree. I feel my CA was also up front and didn't promise any miracles and did not say it was a proven fix. Reiterating what was heard from the service manager in my earlier post...

"Supposedly they will have the patch by December 1st. The plan is to try the patch on in-stock vehicles 1st, then if successful, apply it to inbound cars. This makes sense to at least get them moving on the water and then have the patch ready at VPC since they are technically still in dealer hands". That sounds more of a fair and credible scenario and if it doesn't work, then back to the drawing board..and yes, my trust in the brand is now in question, fresh after having been turned off by Porsche Cars NA

Gone but not forgotten:'22 G82 M4Comp xDrive, '21 F90 M5 Comp,'19 Porsche 911 C4S, 15 Audi RS5, etc..
Appreciate 1
rccarps2336.00
      11-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #112
rccarps2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 XM and 2023 X7 40i

This should help put a smile on everyone. Can't help but to take shots.

Name:  Screenshot_20201117-203626_Instagram.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20201117-203643_Instagram.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  154.5 KB
Pazzo0091108.50
      11-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #113
M-inent
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5, 2021 M5C. Pending

I was told to expect a fix on Monday the 23rd, which is what some other posters were told as well. I'm managing my expectations, but wanted to weigh in since this date coincides with what others have been told as well.

Good luck to us all!!
Appreciate 2
rccarps2336.00
ashmostro1252.50
      11-17-2020, 08:07 PM   #114
SOURCE1064
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G12 750 M Sport

Garage List
I took my 7 in for service and spoke to a tech manager I have know for years and he said he hasn't heard anything about a fix yet.

I also reached out to a friend who is a sales manager and he said he's hearing sometime in December. I'm leaning to believing what I heard from my friend as he use to work for BMWNA.

I'm a little bummed as my 7 lease is up next Tuesday and my car arrived at the port stateside yesterday.

2021 ///MSPORT Donington Grey M5 Competition
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 09:05 PM   #115
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2012 528i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGFather View Post
Quote:
My dealer just confirmed via email they are getting the fix "Next week". News came direct from the service manager.

No specific day mentioned. But with the holiday, I would think that means early in the week.
Weird, why are they going to do the fix the day after tomorrow for me then?
Because the fix comes out tmr for cars at the port. If it works then they release to dealers. Info is consistent with with what my CA told me last week = software program release on 11/18 to fix issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 10:05 PM   #116
cosmolaris
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 M5C

Garage List
2021 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belugs View Post
Quote:
Quote:
My dealer just confirmed via email they are getting the fix "Next week". News came direct from the service manager.

No specific day mentioned. But with the holiday, I would think that means early in the week.
Because the fix comes out tmr for cars at the port. If it works then they release to dealers. Info is consistent with with what my CA told me last week = software program release on 11/18 to fix issue.
When you say port, do you mean the VPC? My car is sitting at the VPC right now so this does give me some hope
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 01:18 AM   #117
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmolaris View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

When you say port, do you mean the VPC? My car is sitting at the VPC right now so this does give me some hope
I will let you all know tomorrow afternoon I will be one of the first "test subjects"
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:21 AM   #118
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmolaris View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think this is what my CA meant. He used the word "port" but he likely meant vehicle processing center after the car arrives at the port.

Please reach out to your CA today/tmr if your car is at the VPC and let us know if it gets fixed. My M8GC has been sitting at the dealer for 2 weeks now. Hopefully the VPC fixes works so they can release to dealers and I can go pick my car up soon.

I guess another indication that it works is if cars start moving from the VPC to dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 09:57 AM   #119
MotegiM5
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Yeah this situation is annoying for sure. I have a '21 M5 Competition in Motegi Red I agreed to buy and put a deposit on etc that cannot be picked up as well. Gave them the deposit the 11th then I get told about the stop sale afterwards. I was sort of wondering why they were so quickly offering to sell me a loaded Competition in this color for like 7% under MSRP and offering me a very nice trade value on my 550i, but I think the stop sale is why. Since that stop sale was issued the 5th, they obviously had to have known about it before offering me that price and taking my deposit lol. The dealer is saying they are on the "pilot program" whatever that means and claiming that means they will be first in line with the remedy, but I have yet to be told anything concrete at all. Longer this goes on though, the more likely I am to tell them that discount off MSRP should be get bigger. I'm in no crunch, I own my 550i outright but obviously would like to get the M5 soon as possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 11:50 AM   #120
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotegiM5 View Post
Yeah this situation is annoying for sure. I have a '21 M5 Competition in Motegi Red I agreed to buy and put a deposit on etc that cannot be picked up as well. Gave them the deposit the 11th then I get told about the stop sale afterwards. I was sort of wondering why they were so quickly offering to sell me a loaded Competition in this color for like 7% under MSRP and offering me a very nice trade value on my 550i, but I think the stop sale is why. Since that stop sale was issued the 5th, they obviously had to have known about it before offering me that price and taking my deposit lol. The dealer is saying they are on the "pilot program" whatever that means and claiming that means they will be first in line with the remedy, but I have yet to be told anything concrete at all. Longer this goes on though, the more likely I am to tell them that discount off MSRP should be get bigger. I'm in no crunch, I own my 550i outright but obviously would like to get the M5 soon as possible.
Yea I think BMW has to offer something to sweeten deals a bit after the inconvenience faced by M car buyers. These are buyers of their most expensive cars that are being put through this.

At first I thought maybe a week max is how long we will have to wait...but it's about 2 weeks now and no concrete communication on what to expect. So inconvenient!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 12:30 PM   #121
MotegiM5
Rep

Quote:
Yea I think BMW has to offer something to sweeten deals a bit after the inconvenience faced by M car buyers. These are buyers of their most expensive cars that are being put through this.

At first I thought maybe a week max is how long we will have to wait...but it's about 2 weeks now and no concrete communication on what to expect. So inconvenient!
Yeah. I mean I'm ok with getting the car early next week. But if they cannot deliver this thing to me before thanksgiving that's when they are gonna start hearing from me something along the lines of "drop that sale price a good bit more" or give me my deposit back and I'll be going back to shopping some competing brand's cars that I also like, which aren't stuck at the dealership lol
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 12:34 PM   #122
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotegiM5 View Post
Quote:

Yeah. I mean I'm ok with getting the car early next week. But if they cannot deliver this thing to me before thanksgiving that's when they are gonna start hearing from me something along the lines of "drop that sale price a good bit more" or give me my deposit back and I'll be going back to shopping some competing brand's cars that I also like, which aren't stuck at the dealership lol
Yea pretty much after thanksgiving, whatever sales deals are coming out in December to move inventory should also be given to customers affected by stop-sale.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #123
MotegiM5
Rep

Quote:
Yea pretty much after thanksgiving, whatever sales deals are coming out in December to move inventory should also be given to customers affected by stop-sale.
yeah or even just the fact that the month will be over at that point, so even if no deals coming in for the holiday, you know any dealer is going to want to get these cars off out of their inventory even more. Typical month end situation even without a stop sale going on. I'd just rather have my new car though at the agreed price before thanksgiving. Like another couple G discount or something is great but not worth waiting into December to take delivery of it. That starts getting into shit weather here in Chicago and not the ideal time to be taking delivery of a brand new car that I still need to put winter tires on, ceramic coat it etc etc. Would be annoying not getting to enjoy the car on non freezing roads for a bit, rush winter prep or have to drive my Duramax around while I do all that lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #124
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

I just registered a complaint/escalation with BMW Customer Relations and asked for a CR Manager to call me back with either better information or a remediation incentive.

Will let you know if I make any progress with BMW.
Appreciate 2
eman45171708.00
rccarps2336.00
      11-18-2020, 01:37 PM   #125
Enzo Montana
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

My car has been at port (NJ) since 11/9. This issue is only affecting cars up to 11/4 production. If cars produced after 11/4 are ok how did they solve it? Bmw took 6 months to realize there is an issue. Yet they shipped these cars knowing there was an issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 01:42 PM   #126
rccarps2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
I just registered a complaint/escalation with BMW Customer Relations and asked for a CR Manager to call me back with either better information or a remediation incentive.

Will let you know if I make any progress with BMW.
Funny... I just spoke with them too. Did not try an escalation. Very interested in what the CR manager comes back with to you.

Was told there are 2 outstanding issues tied to my VIN. Both fall under the same bulletin, posted earlier in this thread. He kept referring to the issues as "recalls".

1 - "Tank Vent Diagnosis"
2 - "Vent Valve Control Problem"

As usual.... No estimated time to complete. He stated, "Once the fix is developed it needs to be approved by the NHTSA before applying to vehicles."

I told him that I can't continue with the open ended for weeks upon weeks and that if a timeline for resolution isn't presented shortly that I would be moving onto a different manufacturer. He totally understood my situation and then made an interesting statement. That I would qualify for "compensation" from BMWNA for time spent without the vehicle due to the stop sale. He would not elaborate further what that meant, as he said that every situation is unique.

What kind of compensation would I get? Who knows. I can't imagine it being much of anything, since I couldn't ask/apply for it until after I get the vehicle, thus losing any leverage.

I can deal with delays, if there is a path/timeline to completion. But this current situation is a joke. A week? Weeks? Months? Tomorrow marks 2 weeks and not a single official statement, other than the original vague stop.
      11-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #127
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Very similar thought process you and me. I'm willing to wait a specified amount of time that we agree to, or wait an unspecified amount with an agreed upon compensation (could be money, or could simply be they put me into an M550i until the M5 fix comes out). I'll let you know how the conversation goes (assuming there is one).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #128
cosmolaris
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 M5C

Garage List
2021 BMW M5C  [0.00]
My car has been sitting at the VPC port (NJ) since 11/11 and I just called. Still no information. There has been an work order opened on my car since 11/12 and was told it will be fixed at the port before being sent to the dealership. No other information.

Definitely thinking about escalating and asking for compensation. This is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 01:55 PM   #129
rccarps2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Very similar thought process you and me. I'm willing to wait a specified amount of time that we agree to, or wait an unspecified amount with an agreed upon compensation (could be money, or could simply be they put me into an M550i until the M5 fix comes out). I'll let you know how the conversation goes (assuming there is one).
Don't hold your breath on a call back. Customer relations across businesses in general are a fraction of what they used to be.

My CA told me that the fix is coming next week. I am ok with waiting through that time. I am expecting (I really mean hoping) to be into my car by Wednesday.

If we get through the holiday without any fix or firm update with a timeline, then its going to be a very serious talk with the dealership. Life is too short to let BMW play games with me like this. Again, I can sympathize that the situation "may" be complicated and fluid, but that isn't an excuse for the epic failure of the customer relations and PR team on this one.
      11-18-2020, 01:57 PM   #130
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I’m with you that if the fix does come through next week as rumored then I am fine. It’s the other rumors we’re hearing that conflict with this information that have me nervous.

I also agree that getting a call back is dubious, BUT you gotta follow the process and get things documented, in case the s—t does hit the fan. I’m hoping it doesn’t and that this just becomes a speed bump in the rear view pretty soon, but......
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #131
rccarps2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’m with you that if the fix does come through next week as rumored then I am fine. It’s the other rumors we’re hearing that conflict with this information that have me nervous.

I also agree that getting a call back is dubious, BUT you gotta follow the process and get things documented, in case the s—t does hit the fan. I’m hoping it doesn’t and that this just becomes a speed bump in the rear view pretty soon, but......
Agreed. I am going to make it a point to call BMWNA on a daily basis. I know the call are documented, as the CS rep was reading through the notes of my previous calls. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

On a side note, I am having fun calling them out on IG whenever I can. To the point where I would expect to be banned/blocked. If nothing else the negative exposure I can put on them is somewhat substantial and I would imagine worrisome for them, as they have a hefty following. BMW has 29M followers and BMW M has 8.2M.
ashmostro1252.50
eman45171708.00
      11-18-2020, 02:21 PM   #132
rccarps2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Speak of the devil.....

Name:  Screenshot_20201118-151534_Instagram.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  122.4 KB
Name:  Screenshot_20201118-151518_Instagram.jpg