BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Minor shake in AWD but none in 2WD

03-05-2022, 09:38 PM   #1
Eljeffrey13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw f90 M5

Minor shake in AWD but none in 2WD

So my car is lower on dinan springs and im running spacers… but i have always noticed a shaking in the steering wheel when reaching 100mph and higher, i always thought it was maybe the spacers, i rarely drive the car in 2wd and decided to tonight and noticed the steering wheel didnt shake or was very very minimal in 2wd was getting to 110 and 115 and no issues had to actually look down at speedometer because i didnt feel it.. anyone notice anything similar where it shakes in awd verus 2wd
      03-06-2022, 01:27 AM   #2
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

At steady speed it shouldn't make any difference whether you are in 2WD or AWD...according to BMWs manual the front wheel drive is not engaged unless the system discerns that some parameters are being exceeded such as slip at the front or rear wheels .
Maybe try without the spacers?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 01:59 AM   #3
M5 F90 (2018)
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Just to rule out other issues, i would get the wheels balanced with hunter road force and see if that solves the problem. Sorry, i know my comment does not answer your question but had an issue at those speeds on a private track and the tires were way out of tolerances to the point we could not get them to reduce the tolerances to acceptable levels and so i had to change the front tires. Speeds for me anywhere up to 100 mph there was no vibration, but for sure over 115 mph and above. Probably cost $100 to have all 4 wheels checked and make sure you get the rears done too. Unless you conduct a series of testing on the same day using 4 wheel and 2 on the same stretch of road i would be inclined to get the wheels balanced properly first. Good luck and hope you manage to get this sorted.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 07:57 AM   #4
Eljeffrey13
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
At steady speed it shouldn't make any difference whether you are in 2WD or AWD...according to BMWs manual the front wheel drive is not engaged unless the system discerns that some parameters are being exceeded such as slip at the front or rear wheels .
Maybe try without the spacers?
Makes sense but its just weird that that it shake in awd and doesnt in 2wd
      03-06-2022, 07:58 AM   #5
Eljeffrey13
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 F90 (2018) View Post
Just to rule out other issues, i would get the wheels balanced with hunter road force and see if that solves the problem. Sorry, i know my comment does not answer your question but had an issue at those speeds on a private track and the tires were way out of tolerances to the point we could not get them to reduce the tolerances to acceptable levels and so i had to change the front tires. Speeds for me anywhere up to 100 mph there was no vibration, but for sure over 115 mph and above. Probably cost $100 to have all 4 wheels checked and make sure you get the rears done too. Unless you conduct a series of testing on the same day using 4 wheel and 2 on the same stretch of road i would be inclined to get the wheels balanced properly first. Good luck and hope you manage to get this sorted.
I had the tire road forced balanced acouple months ago it helped but didn't completely fix the problem and i dont think its the tires since the problem goes away in 2wd
      03-09-2022, 01:27 AM   #6
SahandBB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljeffrey13 View Post
So my car is lower on dinan springs and im running spacers… but i have always noticed a shaking in the steering wheel when reaching 100mph and higher, i always thought it was maybe the spacers, i rarely drive the car in 2wd and decided to tonight and noticed the steering wheel didnt shake or was very very minimal in 2wd was getting to 110 and 115 and no issues had to actually look down at speedometer because i didnt feel it.. anyone notice anything similar where it shakes in awd verus 2wd
I do have that issue too for a long time. I'm lowered on H&R m550 spring and had wheel spacer. After year with that setup car start to vibrate above 90 mph really bad. Then I did wheel balance, one of the wheel was bad , so I replaced. Vibration didn't change at all. Then I removed all spacers and it got a little bit better. Then we checked it, my guy told me rear rotors are bad and causing vibration so I change the rear rotors and after that the vibration was gone. But as soon as I install the spacer I will feel the vibration, so now I'm running it without spacer. He told Steering Rack need to be replace. I don't know what happened to the car but so many thing after each other was causing it. First thing you have to do is remove your spacer and balance the tire, it will help a lot
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 08:01 AM   #7
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahandBB View Post
I do have that issue too for a long time. I'm lowered on H&R m550 spring and had wheel spacer. After year with that setup car start to vibrate above 90 mph really bad. Then I did wheel balance, one of the wheel was bad , so I replaced. Vibration didn't change at all. Then I removed all spacers and it got a little bit better. Then we checked it, my guy told me rear rotors are bad and causing vibration so I change the rear rotors and after that the vibration was gone. But as soon as I install the spacer I will feel the vibration, so now I'm running it without spacer. He told Steering Rack need to be replace. I don't know what happened to the car but so many thing after each other was causing it. First thing you have to do is remove your spacer and balance the tire, it will help a lot
Wow replace the steering rack? What could be wrong with the steering rack?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 10:10 AM   #8
SahandBB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SahandBB View Post
Wow replace the steering rack? What could be wrong with the steering rack?
Causing vibration at high speed, and when I turn into driveway it does make a little bit of noise.
I won't bother replacing it since I'm okay with it now
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 07:54 PM   #9
Ameer ///M6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 M6 GC & 07 bmw M6 & F90 M5

That’s so dang weird. I have the same exact friggen issues.

Anything above 130MPH-140MPH the car shakes when in 4WD I had the inclination that it was the front diff.

Also too if under heavy load 5k-6.5k RPM the car has tendencies to actually pull hard right. Kinda scary if I’m honest.

I’m on KW coil overs
Running 285/30/20 front and 305/30/20 on the rear.
The car never did that before except after I did tire changes.
I’m so confused. 🤦🏻*♂️🤦🏻*♂️🤦🏻*♂️

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 12:20 AM   #10
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameer ///M6 View Post

Anything above 130MPH-140MPH the car shakes when in 4WD I had the inclination that it was the front diff.

Also too if under heavy load 5k-6.5k RPM the car has tendencies to actually pull hard right. Kinda scary if I’m honest.

I’m on KW coil overs

Not to state the obvious but you answered your own question "car wasn't doing it before you changed tires"
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 01:26 AM   #11
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameer ///M6 View Post

I’m on KW coil overs

If a car pulls left/right under hard acceleration it can be an indication that the suspension alignment is off...often a different toe-in angle side to side at the rear will cause the back wheels try to steer the car under acceleration and/or when quickly closing the throttle
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 11:20 AM   #12
Ameer ///M6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 M6 GC & 07 bmw M6 & F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
If a car pulls left/right under hard acceleration it can be an indication that the suspension alignment is off...often a different toe-in angle side to side at the rear will cause the back wheels try to steer the car under acceleration and/or when quickly closing the throttle

Awesome thanks so much. I’ll have an alignment done here shortly.
Also too would having let’s say 285/35/20 front and 305/30/20 rear do it? The height of the tire upfront maybe?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 04:25 PM   #13
Arteq
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljeffrey13 View Post
Did You solve the problem? I have the same issue...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 04:49 PM   #14
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Mine is smoother in 2wd vs AWD and the car is stock... Not so much of a shake, but a tiny bit of vibration, you can feel it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 08:06 AM   #15
Eljeffrey13
Private
United_States
Rep

I had 5mm spacers in the rear and switched them to 10 hubcentric and it helped alot
      02-01-2023, 09:47 AM   #16
pmsteinm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
Base on the dealer tech guides from TIS if you are feeling something different in AWD vs 2WD on the highway at a steady speed the transfer case must be engaging the clutch when it isn't supposed to:

"In contrast to the rear-based standard all-wheel drive of the BMW VTG control, the BMW M VTG
control only applies torque to the front axle after the rear axle exhibits slip and additional drive torque
transfer to the rear axle is therefore no longer effective. The slip defined in this way on the rear axle,
before the drive torque is transferred to the front axle via the BMW M VTG control, has the effect that
the new BMW M5 handles more like a rear-wheel-drive vehicle in terms of the driving dynamics."

I don't see how spacer would matter but are you running the stock tire sizes and rim widths?

It has this disclaimer in the guide:
"The tire tread depth as well as the tire manufacturer should be the same on the front and rear axles if
possible in order to ensure proper functioning of the xDrive. It is also advisable to only use tires that
have been approved or recommended by BMW."

If you are all stock then I would take it in and complain. The clutch should be fully open when cruising at a steady speed.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 11:13 PM   #17
Eljeffrey13
Private
United_States
Rep

I guess the 5mm wasnt hubcentric and when i switch to 10mm hubcentric the shaking almost completely went away which didnt make sense either, but it was the only change i did… the car is on dinan adjustable springs with spacers, thats it, also when i first noticed the shaking i had the wheels road force balenced which helped alittle but problem consisted until i changed the rear spacers