BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Ballistic (bullet-proof) windows for M5?

01-27-2022, 02:40 PM   #23
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

I was literally in Atlanta for almost a month and spent Christmas there to, it didn't really seem that bad, and I know people that live in SF as well and again never encountered this, you might just be frequenting the shitty part of town a bit too much
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 02:45 PM   #24
mrkmtchll
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Edition Velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCharlie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA///M5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
They are thicker and heavier. There are companies that specialize in armoring cars. Try contacting one to see what they can do for a G30/F90 BMW.

Moving is another option…. As is getting your own gun — these cars have a pistol compartment on the lower left side of the dash.
What and where is this compartment you speak of?
He's talking about the small cubby beneath the light switch controls (BMW calls it an "oddments tray", def not advertised as a pistol compartment &#128514… it's not really big enough or sturdy enough to fit anything you'd want to bet your life with, so not too sure what he's talking about or whether he actually stores a gun there. If so would be curious to know the make/model
Just learned about this compartment reading this thread. It fits! SIG P365
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Al Pinã1839.50
JOHNBMWM51989.00
VPRKLR63.00
      01-27-2022, 03:20 PM   #25
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
I was literally in Atlanta for almost a month and spent Christmas there to, it didn't really seem that bad, and I know people that live in SF as well and again never encountered this, you might just be frequenting the shitty part of town a bit too much
Buckhead?
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2022, 03:33 PM   #26
LASpartan
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M5

I keep my masks in that compartment. Perfect size, too.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 03:34 PM   #27
redcarrera
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5C, RR HSE, GLS450, C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkmtchll View Post
Shhhhh
Appreciate 1
Al Pinã1839.50
      01-27-2022, 03:36 PM   #28
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Garage List
2015 Yamaha FZ-09  [10.00]
2018 BMW S1000XR   [9.83]
2018 BMW R1200RT  [10.00]
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
Buckhead?
Like any big city, ATL definitely has it's issues. Buckhead is in the process of hopefully incorporating so it should get its own police force in 18-24 months. If it gets the votes, this will increase the number of LEOs by a factor of 4.

ATL does not want this as buckhead is a huge tax base (expensive homes, etc) and they want to use those taxes for giveaways to other parts of the city, and of course fraud and abuse in the system.

You definitely want to stay away from Phipps and Lenox malls in Buckhead. Anyone with a nice car or any woman with a nice hand bag can be a target.

I was born in Buckhead 53 years ago, and it's certainly sad to see. The residential parts are still amazing, its just the commercial parts that are now included in the expanded limits of Buckhead (everyone wants to say they are in Buckhead so the limits kept expanding). Unfortunately, the OVERWHELMING majority is the result of crappy/corrupt city of Atlanta "leaders" with stupid policies. I imagine the same could be said for Seattle, Portland, Chicago, SF, etc, etc.

The right policies turned NYC around many years ago, so maybe things will change. But if not, when I retire in 10ish years, I'm gone...
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 03:42 PM   #29
redcarrera
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcarrera View Post
Shhhhh
M&P Shield does too
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 04:23 PM   #30
Slynkyone
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

While it's certainly possible, there are quite a few challenges. You would want, at a minimum, Level 3 Ballistic glass, which is rated to stop 3 shots from a .44 Magnum. That would offer protection from most handguns, but offer little protection from rifle rounds.

Level 3 ballistic glass runs around 1.25 inches thick. It is substantially heavier than typical auto glass. You would be adding at least 500lbs of weight, just in glass. The doors would need to be modified to handle the thicker glass. The window motors would probably need to be replaced with stronger motors to handle the added weight. Even without adding armor panels to the doors (which you absolutely should, otherwise you would have only the illusion of safety) you would likely need to upgrade the door hinges to support carrying over 100lbs of additional weight per door.

Can it be done, yes. It's exorbitantly expensive and the added weight will cause a performance hit. Quite honestly, moving is probably cheaper.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2022, 04:34 PM   #31
redcarrera
Private
United_States
Rep

Here's something else to consider. I went through anti-kidnapping driver training in the 7,000 lb armored 4 Runner because it was such a pig to drive. The added weight of armor is mainly high on the vehicle so it raises the center of gravity & ruins the handling. They make great battering rams tho,
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2022, 05:05 PM   #32
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

There's a decent recent thread on the G30 forum. If your was through it and skip past the few handful of anti-gun responses and some of the shocked non-US folks you can get some good opinions about safely traveling with accessible firearms and related safety concerns. Obvious state/local laws may vary.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28166640

It seems like it would be absurd to retrofit an M5 with this type of protection to me. Unless you really want an M car and are an assassination target or are chauffeuring diplomats or other potential HVTs. Kind of defeats the purpose of the vehicle and would be crazy expensive. Also, I don't think the average car jacker is going to unload a gun at a series of angles aimed at murdering you in your locked car after bullet resistant glass and doors stopped them. Then all of this just protects you from the scenario of car jacking while you're stopped and in your vehicle. None of it helps you when you get out to get gas, go to the store, etc.

Anyway I mean I'd be interested to see the results and know the cost if someone does it lol.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2022, 06:12 PM   #33
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
The entire Bay Area has become a shithole.

Residents are having to resort to leaving all their car windows down so they won't get smashed.

Quality of life crimes are out of control. When my window got smashed I had to exchange the rental (Sixt, highly recommended by the way) and the counter employees were saying that they get 6-12 smashed windows per day, and they're a small outfit.

The one guy was from south central LA, in SF for the summer for school and said that he couldn't wait to go back. He said that they will smash your window just to take a phone charging cord…

I'd move to Gary, Indiana before the Bay Area.
      01-27-2022, 06:49 PM   #34
adeuel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Oxford Green M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkmtchll View Post
Nice to know.

I also have an SAS.
Appreciate 1
mrkmtchll285.00
      01-27-2022, 07:47 PM   #35
Mdef
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Going to grab a p365xl from work tomorrow and see if it fits. Hopefully with the 15rd mag.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 07:51 PM   #36
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDriverSF View Post
The Bay Area is unfortunately seeing a surge of car jackings, lootings and robberies. Even the Stanford Shopping Center is now seeing armed robberies and attempted car jackings, as recently as last week.

Has anyone installed bullet proof windows in their M5? Since they are thicker, how does this work? I know most luxury car manufacturers offer specialized Government Protection Vehicles, but in this case I'm only looking for the bullet proof windows aspect.
It’s probably best you move.

Or you can buy this:

Appreciate 1
      01-30-2022, 08:53 PM   #37
Mdef
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Update , 365xl doesn't fit. Will look into other options.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 09:19 PM   #38
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyATL View Post
Like any big city, ATL definitely has it's issues. Buckhead is in the process of hopefully incorporating so it should get its own police force in 18-24 months. If it gets the votes, this will increase the number of LEOs by a factor of 4.

ATL does not want this as buckhead is a huge tax base (expensive homes, etc) and they want to use those taxes for giveaways to other parts of the city, and of course fraud and abuse in the system.

You definitely want to stay away from Phipps and Lenox malls in Buckhead. Anyone with a nice car or any woman with a nice hand bag can be a target.

I was born in Buckhead 53 years ago, and it's certainly sad to see. The residential parts are still amazing, its just the commercial parts that are now included in the expanded limits of Buckhead (everyone wants to say they are in Buckhead so the limits kept expanding). Unfortunately, the OVERWHELMING majority is the result of crappy/corrupt city of Atlanta "leaders" with stupid policies. I imagine the same could be said for Seattle, Portland, Chicago, SF, etc, etc.

The right policies turned NYC around many years ago, so maybe things will change. But if not, when I retire in 10ish years, I'm gone...
are you sure we're talking about the same atlanta here??? Phipps and lenox were full of "nice" cars, even an SLR I saw simply parked by the macys entrance in the garage on the second floor. Plenty of M cars porches etc just sitting both in the garage and the lots, of course shitty cars too but comparably the most "nice" cars I'd seen in a while and this was last month.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 07:39 AM   #39
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Garage List
2015 Yamaha FZ-09  [10.00]
2018 BMW S1000XR   [9.83]
2018 BMW R1200RT  [10.00]
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
Quote:
are you sure we're talking about the same atlanta here??? Phipps and lenox were full of "nice" cars, even an SLR I saw simply parked by the macys entrance in the garage on the second floor. Plenty of M cars porches etc just sitting both in the garage and the lots, of course shitty cars too but comparably the most "nice" cars I'd seen in a while and this was last month.
I did not say that there isn't plenty of money at these malls and they they were somehow a war zone or suddenly on the south side of Chiacgo. In fact there is tons of money all over Buckhead. But I would not "let" my wife go there by herself nor would she want to go there alone.

It's not like you automatically are in peril by going to Buckhead (Lenox and Phipps) but you need to stay alert and vigilant if anything about you makes you a target (female, nice car....) and I'd certainly stay away from the malls at night.

For many, many years Buckhead was thought to be a respite from the big city. All I'm saying is that is no longer the case. Buckhead is part of the city and if you fail to recognize that, it could bite you in the ass.
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 09:18 AM   #40
Boiler Up!
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakerStyle View Post
It’s probably best you move.

Or you can buy this:

Or this:

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 01:36 PM   #41
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyATL View Post
I did not say that there isn't plenty of money at these malls and they they were somehow a war zone or suddenly on the south side of Chiacgo. In fact there is tons of money all over Buckhead. But I would not "let" my wife go there by herself nor would she want to go there alone.

It's not like you automatically are in peril by going to Buckhead (Lenox and Phipps) but you need to stay alert and vigilant if anything about you makes you a target (female, nice car....) and I'd certainly stay away from the malls at night.

For many, many years Buckhead was thought to be a respite from the big city. All I'm saying is that is no longer the case. Buckhead is part of the city and if you fail to recognize that, it could bite you in the ass.
Ohhhh that makes much more sense now, I thought you literally meant it was like Detroit or something. Honestly though, that's sort of the same anywhere, like even Manhattan for example. Luckily for me I've only had 1 window broken around Thanksgiving at a used to be wyndham hotel a few years back in Atlanta and no other incidents outside of that ever. Thankfully it was a rental car and not my own lol I guess they saw all the empty bags in the back seat and thought they were getting something.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 05:53 PM   #42
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Just buy this and your problem is solved. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...tJoNyQoHTyBR2I

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 12:06 PM   #43
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Stig View Post
Just buy this and your problem is solved. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...tJoNyQoHTyBR2I
It's funny because we live in AZ, and if you do that here, you'll just get shot and killed. Don't want this to devolve into a debate, but choices and policies do have their consequences.

OP seems like a cool guy, come on down to Scottsdale. It gets hot some times of the year but the weather otherwise is nice and there's lots of nice roads to beat up late at night with nobody on them.
      02-05-2022, 07:24 AM   #44
rs1987
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C LCI, S1000XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattles View Post
In Texas it is a pistol compartment. And yes, It does fit a significant sub compact 9mm
I grew up in South Africa, which has a severe carjacking problem. The modus operandi there is not to order the victim out of the car, but simply to kill them immediately, as a dead person can't identify the perpetrator to the police or witness against them in a court of law .

Keeping a firearm in a cubby means you can't reach it quickly enough in most circumstances.

IMHO, a better technique and the one I always used is to drive with the firearm upside down, resting on its slide, sandwiched between your thigh and the seat bolster with the barrel pointing forwards. This way, it can be picked up and used very quickly if necessary.

This works slightly better for a right-hander in a right hand drive vehicle than a right-hander in a left hand drive vehicle, as the firearm is then not visible to anyone looking into the vehicle due to being on the door side of the driver
Appreciate 0