BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 35 Jahre | Is this dealer vandalism?

11-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #45
crzy4bimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G63, GLS63, X7M50 (inbound)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
Any update from BMW NA?
Not yet
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #46
Fegelein
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

This is a pathetic gimmick! Last time I saw this, a Ford dealership tried it on my Father in law for an '02 Taurus. Bad enough on an avg Joe car, but on a supercar?! Outrageous.
I'd forget it too, it will always bother you and people will surely ask about it at shows, etc.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2019, 05:37 PM   #47
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition, X5 M50i

why can't they just replace the glass/windows... I mean how's that any different than if the window was smashed/broken???
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #48
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vink View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I thought this was going to be more along the veins of op picked up car from dealership and someone spray painted dick-butt on his hood...

Vandalism I feel was being a little extra lol... I think it's grimey and foolish on the dealerships part to try and force people into a particular service, yes... I don't think this is vandalism just a really poor decision making by the dealership on a limited car... Glass etching, I feel like there are ways to get around that as opposed to something like drilling holes in the body of the car...

I didn't take my original individual ordered car for a plethora of reasons, but a lot had to do with the ONE thing I asked for which was - please don't drill holes in the front bumper or I won't take the vehicle...
It's more of a metaphor and if I were in OP's position I would feel the same... x degree of vandalism
Agree to disagree... Using the word "vandalism" to describe this scenario is still extra... Majority is in agreement it's shady by the dealership and asinine of them to "completely and deliberately destroy private property..." See how extra that sounds? That's the definition of "vandalism" lolol...

If you REALLY want the car, swap the glass out... If not, then move on... This, can be resolved... Again, it's not like it's permanent holes drilled into the body, because that's obviously a far more complicated fix...
Appreciate 1
av078956.00
      11-09-2019, 02:33 AM   #49
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:

If you REALLY want the car, swap the glass out... If not, then move... This, can be resolved... Again, it's not like it's permanent holes drilled into the body, because that's obviously a far more complicated fix...

You are going to miss out on a great car if you let it go. A certified BMW shop can swap the glass out in 4 days or less.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 07:14 AM   #50
FoxberryJam
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
who the hell actually read all of that?
I did
      11-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #51
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:

I didn't take my original individual ordered car for a plethora of reasons, but a lot had to do with the ONE thing I asked for which was - please don't drill holes in the front bumper or I won't take the vehicle...
You wouldn't be able to live in Europe, then. No one cares about holes in a bumper unless it's a mclaren
      11-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #52
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Does the OP own this car yet? If not, it isn't vandalism.

Take the car as is, or move on. There really isn't much middle ground here.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #53
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:

You wouldn't be able to live in Europe, then. No one cares about holes in a bumper unless it's a mclaren
Euro plates are an entirely different story... Slim, horizontal, flows with the bumper... Our plates make our cars look like they have buck teeth...

We get you back with motorcycles though... Essentially the size of a kitchen griddle for license plates on motorcycles lol... 😬
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-09-2019, 09:37 PM   #54
crzy4bimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Does the OP own this car yet? If not, it isn't vandalism.

Take the car as is, or move on. There really isn't much middle ground here.
This was ordered by me straight from BMW NA with a deposit. It's not a dealer inventory car and since it always had the 'customer sold' status, it shouldn't have been mucked around with like this.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #55
crzy4bimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
Quote:

If you REALLY want the car, swap the glass out... If not, then move... This, can be resolved... Again, it's not like it's permanent holes drilled into the body, because that's obviously a far more complicated fix...

You are going to miss out on a great car if you let it go. A certified BMW shop can swap the glass out in 4 days or less.
Perhaps BMW NA might offer to take care of this.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:43 PM   #56
crzy4bimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I thought this was going to be more along the veins of op picked up car from dealership and someone spray painted dick-butt on his hood...

Vandalism I feel was being a little extra lol... I think it's grimey and foolish on the dealerships part to try and force people into a particular service, yes... I don't think this is vandalism just a really poor decision making by the dealership on a limited car... Glass etching, I feel like there are ways to get around that as opposed to something like drilling holes in the body of the car...

It's more of a metaphor and if I were in OP's position I would feel the same... x degree of vandalism
Agree to disagree... Using the word "vandalism" to describe this scenario is still extra... Majority is in agreement it's shady by the dealership and asinine of them to "completely and deliberately destroy private property..." See how extra that sounds? That's the definition of "vandalism" lolol...

If you REALLY want the car, swap the glass out... If not, then move on... This, can be resolved... Again, it's not like it's permanent holes drilled into the body, because that's obviously a far more complicated fix...
I think 'Is this dealer sleaziness?' might've been better. Either way, I'll let you all know what BMW NA says on Monday.
Appreciate 1
shoei7778.00
      11-09-2019, 10:39 PM   #57
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeblebrox View Post
I think 'Is this dealer sleaziness?' might've been better. Either way, I'll let you all know what BMW NA says on Monday.
That's a rare and beautiful car--get them to make it right with an apology, some replacement glass and a dealer-installed upgrade or two.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2019, 01:12 AM   #58
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That was 100% perfect and spot on, lol...

And yes, 100% they were absolutely sleazy and just fucking stupid to do that on a limited edition vehicle...

I do hope you get the car how you want it... i.e, unmolested lol...
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #59
BeamerandBimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S63tu

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
That's a rare and beautiful car--get them to make it right with an apology, some replacement glass and a dealer-installed upgrade or two.
If you don't get the option of a replacement and still want the car, I certainly wouldn't let this dealer install or touch anything. I would ask that the car be brought to another dealer and have the side windows replaced. I would not replace the Windshield or rear glass.
Past BMWs;'22M850 Conv, '19 SG M5(ED 5/19),14 Ionic Silver i3, '16 S1000XR, '16 Azurite Black M5, '07 G650X-Challenge, '10 R1200GSA, '15 Mineral Gray M4, '14 S1000R,'10 Alpine White 135ia M-Sport, '13 Carbon Black X5 50i, '10 Carbon Black M5, '07 Graphite K1200GT, '08 335ia, '05 545i, '04 R1150R, '03.5 M3 Cabrio, '00 540ia, '97 M3 sedan, '97 540ia
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #60
norbtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerandBimmer View Post
If you don't get the option of a replacement and still want the car, I certainly wouldn't let this dealer install or touch anything. I would ask that the car be brought to another dealer and have the side windows replaced. I would not replace the Windshield or rear glass.
Yea, for all you know, they might put the front plate on just to be jerks!
      11-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #61
crzy4bimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

TL;DR - BMW NA called and said they're going to look into it but can't do much to intermediate with the dealer. I've asked for help getting my deposit back since I haven't heard from the dealership. Pretty likely that I'll be walking away from the brand for a while.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 04:30 PM   #62
Joey.Donatelli
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5C

Quote:
TL;DR - BMW NA called and said they're going to look into it but can't do much to intermediate with the dealer. I've asked for help getting my deposit back since I haven't heard from the dealership. Pretty likely that I'll be walking away from the brand for a while.
I hate that you are walking away from the brand of BMW for one dealers actions. With that being said, I don't blame you. Best of luck getting BMW NA to help. You might send them a link to this thread, I would be willing to bet if they knew it was generating this much buzz it might influence their response/action moving forward.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #63
crzy4bimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey.Donatelli View Post
Quote:
I hate that you are walking away from the brand of BMW for one dealers actions. With that being said, I don't blame you. Best of luck getting BMW NA to help. You might send them a link to this thread, I would be willing to bet if they knew it was generating this much buzz it might influence their response/action moving forward.
I forwarded the thread to them. They seemed genuinely concerned about the details here but non committal on the response. I don't blame them and I'm not hopeful either.

BMW was the first nice car I ever owned when I could afford one. I still remember the enjoyment of owning the E90 series M3. It's a connection that's hard to erase, I'm sure.

Thanks for all the support and constructive feedback here! I will keep updating if I hear back.
Appreciate 1
gblansten1913.00
      11-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #64
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

agree walking away from the brand is not in your best interest
I myself have been very critical of BMW for a variety of reasons
and I have owned multiple other cars from other German companies , Audi , Benz, Porsche
and I can tell you if you lease your cars
none of the others give you value for your dollar compared to BMW
if you buy, then it is a different story
The M5 is a great car for the money
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2019, 07:17 PM   #65
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey.Donatelli View Post
Quote:
They aren't going to care about a thread with only sixty some posts.

Hell, there was a thread with over a thousand posts about how terrible the AC is in the previous gen X5 and they did nothing.

Vote with your wallet. Move on if it's unacceptable.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #66
ZZZZMD1991
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
A sorry, low-life tactic one would expect at a Kia dealership, not at one selling 6-figure special edition vehicles.
Thanks, also, for the heads-up; I can cross Open Road BMW off my list when I order my F90 next month.
Appreciate 1