BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Uneven Tire Wear

10-17-2019, 03:32 AM   #1
ResidualJinx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Uneven Tire Wear

I understand our AWD system is very RWD bias but for some reason I did not expect the significantly faster wear on the rear wheels. I'm at 4.5/32 on the rears and 7.5/32 for the fronts. I already have a replacement staggered set ready to throw on. I have a few questions, when are you guys planning to replace your rears? Is everyone else seeing similar wear patterns? Are you/should I replace the fronts at the same time as the rears with so much meat left in the front?

Just FYI I'm in Maryland and get plenty of rain and a healthy amount of snow but I plan to switch to snow tires Dec-Apr each year.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

How many miles do you have?

I have about 3900 miles - don't notice much difference front vs rear tread wear yet. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the wear difference you mention is typical for the M5. Even while running in normal "4WD" the torque is routed preferentially to the rear.

My last vehicle (Maserati Ghibli SQ4) routed torque 100% to the rear unless slippage was noted. I can tell you those rear Pirellis were done at 10k miles (12k miles was downright dangerous with even 1/4" snow!) The front Pirellis lasted 20k miles easily.

My plan on the M5 is this: I'm switching out the standard summer Michelin PS4s for Pirelli Sotozero 3s for November-March. They'll last 3 winters because I only drive about 3k miles each winter. The summer Michelins will go back on for summer 2020. After that they'll have 10k miles so I'll buy another full set for Summer 2021. Lease is done 3/2022.
      10-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
ResidualJinx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

I have just over 16k miles so I'm super happy with how long they've held on and your rotation between winter and summers sounds like a good plan. Have you measured your wear recently?
Appreciate 0