BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Who is renewing BMW's scam CarPlay Subscription.

10-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #23
utsteve98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

I broke down and paid the $80 for a year. While I do like BMWs nav and map much more, their traffic updates are crap. This forces me to use Waze or Google maps for better traffic monitoring.

Also, the BT audio quality sucks. Only Apple CarPlay has the bandwidth to handle master quality audio from Tidal.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #24
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsteve98 View Post
I broke down and paid the $80 for a year. While I do like BMWs nav and map much more, their traffic updates are crap. This forces me to use Waze or Google maps for better traffic monitoring.

Also, the BT audio quality sucks. Only Apple CarPlay has the bandwidth to handle master quality audio from Tidal.
The above “only apple carplay has the bandwidth” comment regarding master quality audio - is this really true or is this some apple exec trolling?! Anyone know from experience / tech background?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 11:25 PM   #25
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by northtorque View Post
Quote:

The above "only apple carplay has the bandwidth" comment regarding master quality audio - is this really true or is this some apple exec trolling?! Anyone know from experience / tech background?
I didn't get the comment either but dismissed it.

However and as I understand it, if you plug the device in, Bluetooth is used primarily for phone and miscellaneous app purposes. Beyond that, the question as to the bandwidth of USB-C's suitability for conveying lossless digital audio is answered as 'sufficient' in the same way the Atlantic qualifies as a puddle. For the 19MY USB, I'm going on memory alone but even that qualifies as a lake to my earlier metaphor. :
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #26
utsteve98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Quote:

The above “only apple carplay has the bandwidth” comment regarding master quality audio - is this really true or is this some apple exec trolling?! Anyone know from experience / tech background?
I'm no Apple exec trolling. You can test for yourself. Try playing a song via BT audio. Then play that same song via the CarPlay app. Make sure you are using something that is master quality audio from tidal or other service that has master quality. The difference is apparent on the B&W. Not sure how much different on HK though.

As for bandwidth, everyone knows that BT does a lot of compression and decreases audio quality. I believe BT 5.0 is better but don't think these cars are equipped to handle. Some techie would have to confirm. CarPlay uses WiFi which has the ability to transfer more data than BT. While I can't provide tech data on the bitrates via the 2 technologies, you can certainly hear a difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #27
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The above "only apple carplay has the bandwidth" comment regarding master quality audio - is this really true or is this some apple exec trolling?! Anyone know from experience / tech background?
I'm no Apple exec trolling. You can test for yourself. Try playing a song via BT audio. Then play that same song via the CarPlay app. Make sure you are using something that is master quality audio from tidal or other service that has master quality. The difference is apparent on the B&W. Not sure how much different on HK though.

As for bandwidth, everyone knows that BT does a lot of compression and decreases audio quality. I believe BT 5.0 is better but don't think these cars are equipped to handle. Some techie would have to confirm. CarPlay uses WiFi which has the ability to transfer more data than BT. While I can't provide tech data on the bitrates via the 2 technologies, you can certainly hear a difference.
Plug it in.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 08:10 PM   #28
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't see the appeal to CarPlay... I don't see the appeal to most of it truthfully...

Also don't see the uproar over $300 for 20 years lol... That's, pretty damn cheap when you break it up monthly... it's a $1.25 a month...

It's grimey but if you want it, you have to pay the $1.25 a month... Yes yes, if it's a lease it's only 3 years (2 years really of paid CarPlay) but still, it's only $12.50 a month...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #29
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I don't see the appeal to CarPlay... I don't see the appeal to most of it truthfully...

Also don't see the uproar over $300 for 20 years lol... That's, pretty damn cheap when you break it up monthly... it's a $1.25 a month...

It's grimey but if you want it, you have to pay the $1.25 a month... Yes yes, if it's a lease it's only 3 years (2 years really of paid CarPlay) but still, it's only $12.50 a month...
That's one perspective--and it's a reasonable one, too.

However, price vs. principle is what's igniting this fire. BMW are charging a rental (or subscription) fee for a one-time piece of software--there's no backend service, there's no cloud element beyond the money Apple are already making from the phone and its subscriptions; there's no special feature-set above and beyond what iPhone customers get in a Kia... and then there's the entry-point price premium for a BMW. This is nickel and diming on features that don't justify a subscription service and it's that--in principle, not in price--that's pissing people off... me included.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 08:22 PM   #30
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:

However, price vs. principle is what's igniting this fire. BMW are charging a rental (or subscription) fee for a one-time piece of software--there's no backend service, there's no cloud element beyond the money Apple are already making from the phone and its subscriptions; there's no special feature-set above and beyond what iPhone customers get in a Kia... and then there's the entry-point price premium for a BMW. This is nickel and diming on features that don't justify a subscription service and it's that--in principle, not in price--that's pissing people off... me included.
Did I or did I not say it's grimey !!! Oh snap, Grimey-Limey... It works lol...

I completely agree it's grimey but what are we going to do? Revolt and not renew subscriptions? Cuz that's the only way it's going to cause an impact and change...

I just look at it as I'm gonna pick and choose my battles and $1.25 or $12.50 is not a battle I want to waste whatever time I got remaining on the planet is all...

Shits popping off all over the world and we up in arms over $1.25... I'm more concerned with if Hockeytyme is gonna beat Limey's trap speeds...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 09:32 PM   #31
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I completely agree it's grimey but what are we going to do? Revolt and not renew subscriptions? Cuz that's the only way it's going to cause an impact and change...

I just look at it as I'm gonna pick and choose my battles and $1.25 or $12.50 is not a battle I want to waste whatever time I got remaining on the planet is all...

Shits popping off all over the world and we up in arms over $1.25... I'm more concerned with if Hockeytyme is gonna beat Limey's trap speeds...
You ask what folks are gonna do: not pay —you have your answer.

As for me and HockeyTyme: I sincerely hope he does. He and I have been working closely together for the past 3 or 4 days to get him fully up and running. He's there now and already running competitive times. Now it's time for tinkering with fuel and map 6.

As Mike and I have discussed at length, I won't modify my car to that extent for my own reasons but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with his and GTEnedIO's cars and their more free-breathing setups—hopefully my experiences and input prove fruitful.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 09:35 PM   #32
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As for me and HockeyTyme: I sincerely hope he does. He and I have been working closely together for the past 3 or 4 days to get him fully up and running. He's there now and already running competitive times. Now it's time for tinkering with fuel and map 6.

As Mike and I have discussed at length, I won't modify my car to that extent for my own reasons but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with his and GTEnedIO's cars and their more free-breathing setups—hopefully my experiences and input prove fruitful.
Well yeah... I'm living vicariously through him... I have an open ticket currently with BMW NA so I'm gonna have to wait a little while longer before I get to tinker with dme...

Edit - *I meant to say a little while longer before I tinker with dme... IF I was an irresponsible person cuz I would NEVER think of defiling such a fine automobile made by said company... A company that has adopted the EA model of "loot boxes" and pay to play...

*cough-cough
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #33
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C

Quote:

Quote:

Well, it's gonna be a while for me to get everything to where it needs to be. Rain this week and then next week I have to leave town for 5 days. So, we'll see what I can get accomplished.

I have Limey's secret sauce. Now, I just need to add it to my improved air quality here in CA and we'll see.. haha
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #34
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Well, it's gonna be a while for me to get everything to where it needs to be. Rain this week and then next week I have to leave town for 5 days. So, we'll see what I can get accomplished.

I have Limey's secret sauce. Now, I just need to add it to my improved air quality here in CA and we'll see.. haha
All I hear is a buncha excuses !!!

Just leave the car with me and Limey while you're outta town... We'll take care of it and get it done...

Appreciate 1