BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Ok, the brake squeaks and it is down right annoying!!

10-15-2019, 07:25 AM   #23
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Dealer replaced pads and rotors. Noise went away for about 500 miles. Now it's back same as before.

Only way to avoid is to do as others have stated and not "drag" the brakes all of the time. (Just check your rear view mirror first).
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #24
freezey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 dude now View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeve19M5CP View Post
My squeaking started after a few back to back extremely hard braking sessions...my guess is it glazed after this and never recovered......thankfully the Porterfields(acg relabel) put this issue behind us.......my estimate is there is 50% less dust.........still dusty but better......
I complained about this last week to the local BMW dealership. The dealership made a request to BMW North America. I am set up to replace the brakes on the 14th. I am not as knowledgeable as many of you guys on the this forum so I really appreciate when I get advice, recommendations so forth. I don't know that replacing the brakes with the same brakes (new) will help but if they are willing to do it at no cost I feel its worth a shot. If it does not help, I will look into replacing them with Porterfields.
I got mine replaced. It came back after about 1500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 11:50 PM   #25
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

How to get rid of brake squeal when it gets bad:

Find a safe space
Put the car in reverse
Go about 20mph or so
Bring the car to a stop
Repeat 3-4 times
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 11:53 PM   #26
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

This has been a common problem on the f10 and f85 chassis and the m6 as they all use the same brakes. If enough people complain there will be a official service bulletin created and a permanent fix will be released. I had all my pads and rotors replaced under the bulletin. Knock on wood but my f85 has noise free for over 3k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDriverX View Post
How to get rid of brake squeal when it gets bad:

Find a safe space
Put the car in reverse
Go about 20mph or so
Bring the car to a stop
Repeat 3-4 times
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:31 AM   #27
F90CP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5 F90 CP

wow so relived that its a common fault.. i was scared the other day this loud squeak was coming from the brakes at the front, i had to stop and jump out to inspect what was going on, I thought brakes had failed or were grinding or something was stuck in there.. scary but it stopped after a while.. how can u stop this asap is there a trick?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:14 AM   #28
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90CP View Post
wow so relived that its a common fault.. i was scared the other day this loud squeak was coming from the brakes at the front, i had to stop and jump out to inspect what was going on, I thought brakes had failed or were grinding or something was stuck in there.. scary but it stopped after a while.. how can u stop this asap is there a trick?
My 2018 M5 has the standard brakes and they made so much noise it drove me nuts. Dealer replaced pads and rotors and then wouldn't do anything more.

When I got my 2019 car it had to have the CCB brakes and best decision! No noise, dust and they perform very well!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 12:00 PM   #29
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

Just get cheaper brake pads that aren't made for hooliganism, you cannot expect the pad compound to not squeak just because it's replaced with the same pad again. If bmw provided completely silent oem pads for the m5, they wouldn't even allow publishing of Nürburgring laptimes because it would be pathetically slow or there'd be a lot of crashed m5s on racetracks..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #30
F90mfunf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Garage List
  [10.00]
A couple of days ago I upgraded my pads to porterfield r4s and I have noticed a huge improvement. No brake noise, huge reduction in dust and increased stopping power. I no longer sound like a school bus
Appreciate 0