BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Cosmetic Modifications    Help Me Replace My Rear Bumper!

10-02-2019, 12:45 AM   #1
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Frozen Bla

Help Me Replace My Rear Bumper!

Bad news: rear ended tonight by and old lady driving a 2007 Toyota Matrix who wasn't paying attention

Bad News for Her: my car is Frozen Black

Good News: I get to replace the rear bumper, diffuser with something cool!

What should I do? Was thinking about this

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...-rear-diffuser

On a side note, has anyone with a Frozen color had to get their rear bumper replaced? Any tips/gotchas to look out for?
      10-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

Any reputable body shop should be able to match Frozen Black if they have your car there. We typically will ask for a sample (gas door) for when we paint bumpers and then ship to customers.

Could even do the 3D Design diffuser in frozen clear. This one is the M-Performance with did with frozen clear and frozen red accent.

10-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-M5 View Post
Bad news: rear ended tonight by and old lady driving a 2007 Toyota Matrix who wasn't paying attention

Bad News for Her: my car is Frozen Black

Good News: I get to replace the rear bumper, diffuser with something cool!

What should I do? Was thinking about this

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...-rear-diffuser

On a side note, has anyone with a Frozen color had to get their rear bumper replaced? Any tips/gotchas to look out for?
If you have access to certified BMW body shop, have it done by them.
I know that you probably won't be able to play much with the replacement pieces, such as the diffuser.
But, at least you are at a "good" hand with guaranteed work for color and finish quality.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #4
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

how are you going to get insurance to cover a 4k diffuser when your stock one isnt anywhere near that price?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin Montego View Post
how are you going to get insurance to cover a 4k diffuser when your stock one isnt anywhere near that price?
insurance will only cover the cost of the replacement diffuser. I'll just pay the difference for an aftermarket diffuser.
      10-05-2019, 01:22 AM   #6
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
Any reputable body shop should be able to match Frozen Black if they have your car there. We typically will ask for a sample (gas door) for when we paint bumpers and then ship to customers.

Could even do the 3D Design diffuser in frozen clear. This one is the M-Performance with did with frozen clear and frozen red accent.

I like the Frozen clear option. going to shoot you guys an email
      10-08-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-M5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post

I like the Frozen clear option. going to shoot you guys an email
That looks great; agreed—you'll have to come by again to show me that in-person.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #8
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
I know that you probably won't be able to play much with the replacement pieces, such as the diffuser.
But, at least you are at a "good" hand with guaranteed work for color and finish quality.

you'd be surpised how some BMW shops operate. some of them sublet the work out, it's not even done in house. just an FYI
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Quote:

you'd be surpised how some BMW shops operate. some of them sublet the work out, it's not even done in house. just an FYI
Hmm, good to know.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #10
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Quote:

Yes. Here in Seattle, neither BMW Seattle nor BMW Bellevue do any sort of bodywork in house. For BMW Seattle they use Pacific Auto Rebuild and for BMW Bellevue they use AutoNation Collision center. It's honestly a disappointment because you are getting the same level on service on a $110k+ M5 as you are getting on a $40k X1. Right now they are trying to tell me they won't replace my bumper, that they would rather sand the entire existing bumper down and repaint it. On a 4 month old M5.