BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Handling......man....good....

06-18-2022, 01:18 PM   #1
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Handling......man....good....

I take a certain ramp at a certain speed and it is odd to me that I feel more comfortable going 5 miles per hour faster on the same ramp with the M5 that I do with my Boxster GTS. I can't quite get the nerve to push the GTS that fast, yet the M5, although much more floaty, feels planted.

Mike

(actual speed left off because the people on the P site gave me so much shit......LOL)

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2022, 02:38 PM   #2
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

do you have mods on your car or is it stock?
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 12:01 AM   #3
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
I take a certain ramp at a certain speed and it is odd to me that I feel more comfortable going 5 miles per hour faster on the same ramp with the M5 that I do with my Boxster GTS. I can't quite get the nerve to push the GTS that fast, yet the M5, although much more floaty, feels planted.

Mike

(actual speed left off because the people on the P site gave me so much shit......LOL)
Lol you care what people think? I take on and off ramps upwards of 80 and they're the 270 degree jughandles haha. Feels fine, tires don't even screech. My old f10 would handle those turns at around 70-75with tires squeeling hard lol so I'm sure the f90 would be able to go even faster, just don't want to find out where the limit is, I prefer to take cars to like 85-90% of the limit to account for unexpected circumstances (a bit of gravel for example) that might cause me to slide a bit and make the turn wider than I expected.
Appreciate 1
FSHNGRY2336.50
      06-19-2022, 11:11 AM   #4
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
do you have mods on your car or is it stock?
Bone Stock. And that's how I like it. Extended warranty, bone stock. "First edition" model 2018. (was what they called it, black, with black and black, and of course sunroof, etc LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Lol you care what people think? I take on and off ramps upwards of 80 and they're the 270 degree jughandles haha. Feels fine, tires don't even screech. My old f10 would handle those turns at around 70-75with tires squeeling hard lol so I'm sure the f90 would be able to go even faster, just don't want to find out where the limit is, I prefer to take cars to like 85-90% of the limit to account for unexpected circumstances (a bit of gravel for example) that might cause me to slide a bit and make the turn wider than I expected.
Yes, I hear you. Not quite at the rate I was used to in my RS6, that car seems more planted and the suspension was much stiffer, particularly after I put in the KW's (after second failed DRC system LOL). I am now in the 5th year driving the M5 and get more feel for it each time. With the summer tires and nice weather.....man.....

Mike

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 01:55 PM   #5
Danny D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

To my knowledge first edition was frozen red with beige interior
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 06:43 PM   #6
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D View Post
To my knowledge first edition was frozen red with beige interior
That's what they told me back in 2018 LOL, but the red one is what I find on Google LOL.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 02:27 PM   #7
M5KEITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post

Mike

Interesting I don’t think you are pushing Boxster hard enough. Regarding M5 it has a wider footprint, wider tires and longer wheel base and wheel drive all help in the corners, except its weight.

Why is your M5 floating in the corners???
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 01:39 PM   #8
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5KEITH View Post

Why is your M5 floating in the corners???
Relative term. It's not a stiff as the Boxster or my older RS6. But planted.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 11:37 AM   #9
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I think you like the security of AWD
I personally like that too . I always felt that I push AWD cars on ramps more than RWD including GT3RS which I am sure has more stability on ramps than M5 with all the down force etc
I worry that I am going to lose the rear end
it is all in the head
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2022, 11:49 AM   #10
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
I personally like that too . I always felt that I push AWD cars on ramps more than RWD including GT3RS which I am sure has more stability on ramps than M5 with all the down force etc
it is all in the head
+1 on this!
      06-29-2022, 12:47 PM   #11
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

I had a 2016 M2 and 1997 M3 (both rear wheel drive, both similar size, width, etc) and had a great feel for both. I never had the back end come out on me with either. But I knew it could happen.

Funny I had read about "loss of steering wheel input" back in 1998 or so, and sought that out on a ramp. One with no guard rails and lots of flat grass, so it was ideal, just incase. With the Summer tires I never felt it in the M3, however, I deliberately tried out the same ramp with my Blizzaks on (first generation 'ice tires') and I felt that "loss of steering wheel input" and it's an interesting feeling in the steering wheel. As you hold resistance on the wheel to keep it 'turned' you all of a sudden loose the push back by the steering wheel. That is the moment before you loose adhesion. A well balanced car does not get to the point of making the tires squeal before you actually reach loss of traction. With the RS6 I never got to a point where I lost that steering wheel input again because of the mechanical all wheel drive in the Audi, but I am sure that 'point' for the Audi was there somewhere to be found by a more adventurous type, not me. The more I drive the M5 the more confident I get with it but I'll never push it that far. I have had it for 5 years vs 15 for the RS6. The Boxster's limits are more elusive to me as I have only driven it for in total three months or so. It takes time. (On Rennlist they will say it only can be achieved in a Track Event, meh)

I still am amazed to see people taking exit ramps in SUV's and Pickups at considerable speed and not go flying off the road. As some point physics is going to get you.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 03:18 PM   #12
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
it is all in the head
Also some cars break away in the rear more gradually than others and once you learn that predictability you can control it. I have read that R compound tires typically give less notice than street tires, which is why they are not recommended to beginning racers. I’d be scared to push the GT3RS mostly because it is a $200k car that I would not want to crash. If I had that sort of money for a toy I would spend a few thousand more on some driving schools. I have done only a couple. I agree AWD feels very safe and stable and of course the traction control adds even more if you leave it on - it pretty much won’t let you get in trouble.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 03:41 PM   #13
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Also some cars break away in the rear more gradually than others and once you learn that predictability you can control it. I have read that R compound tires typically give less notice than street tires, which is why they are not recommended to beginning racers. I’d be scared to push the GT3RS mostly because it is a $200k car that I would not want to crash. If I had that sort of money for a toy I would spend a few thousand more on some driving schools. I have done only a couple. I agree AWD feels very safe and stable and of course the traction control adds even more if you leave it on - it pretty much won’t let you get in trouble.
Haha ironically this is why I'm getting 6 hours private instruction in the m5 courtesy of bmw🤣 told them I want to learn to control the car at and beyond the limit so nothing will surprise me. Then again mine is nearly a 200k car all in with taxes ppf and once I get the radar install done...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 04:40 PM   #14
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
I have done several driving schools
but also driving abilities depend on multiple factors
how often we practice
genetic abilities. Some of us are genetically better than others for certain skills.
age when we start driving and training etc
so overall driving skills is more complicated than paying for few school days
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 05:21 PM   #15
Danny D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I wish the m5 had linear springs instead of progressive. This is what throws me off to the balance of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 06:47 AM   #16
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I have done several driving schools
but also driving abilities depend on multiple factors
how often we practice
genetic abilities. Some of us are genetically better than others for certain skills.
age when we start driving and training etc
so overall driving skills is more complicated than paying for few school days
Recent driving school would help someone understand the limits and what they are comfortable with. I agree some drivers are simply better drivers than others, but just about anyone can improve with practice near the limits. An occasional on/off ramp is simply not enough practice and few of us live in areas where we can practice safely on public roads.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 08:36 AM   #17
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Recent driving school would help someone understand the limits and what they are comfortable with. I agree some drivers are simply better drivers than others, but just about anyone can improve with practice near the limits. An occasional on/off ramp is simply not enough practice and few of us live in areas where we can practice safely on public roads.
Agreed, also helps when you're driving someone else's car on someone else's tires and you're not worried about sending yours into a ditch/trees. Once you find the "limit" you can always dial back say 10% and have a safe buffer while still enjoying your car to an extremely high degree imo. And if you do happen to cross that limit know how to react and not panic making things worse lol (been there done that, did a 2700 spin before and I'll say it wasn't very fun, but knowing how to somewhat control the direction of the car helped me from smacking a barrier doing 80 mph)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 09:36 AM   #18
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

I have definitely had some scary seconds when I wished I was a better driver. I have done the unexpected 180 and 270 as well as some major fishtailing that I was not sure I could get back under control. My toy is a 99 M3 with a turbocharged built block and head making 700 rwhp. I have to use R compounds (Toyo RA1) to get traction and after the latest round of mods that added about 100 rwhp, I scared myself more than I ever had before and the car has been supercharged or turbocharged for 15 years. After that incident, I installed a Racelogic traction control — fairly crude by todays standards but better than the none that I had before. I would definitely like to do more driving schools - need to move that up the priority list.
Appreciate 0