BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Backfire gone?

12-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #89
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I was afraid of this even though my service rep told me the ECU would only be remapped with respect to the ventilation issue. More dealer BS. I just cancelled my appointment.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 01:25 PM   #90
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lankymidget View Post
I don't have the SW update thankfully, but am wondering, after seeing the latest CarWow vid of a new X6M where it had the same restricted revving as we see with the new Porsches etc
Neither my 19 M5C nor 20 X5M have any issues with revving freely to the limit.
The 19 M5C has all burbles, crackles and pops, the 20 X5M not (at all) only the upshift burps from time to time. But both freely rev without being capped. Wondering if this new update limits the free revs as muffling the exhaust?

Also for those noticing some improvement in drive... improved launches?

I'm pretty sure north american M5 neutral revs are still limited to ~5000 RPM. Yes it has all the good burbles and pops in neutral but mine will not rev past around 5000 RPM in neutral.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #91
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdblU View Post
Hi everyone

Took the car in a few days ago for a new windshield, oil change and they did a recall. I am assuming there did a software update. Was fine for a couple days ..

Today the car is not backfiring or popping on downshifts. Its also not downshifting or holding gears properly even in S3. 2020 M5C.

Called the dealer and he is talking to the shop foreman.

Any thoughts?
Just got my car back after recall, everything is exactly the same if not better, burble is just as loud.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 3
ashmostro1254.00
lsal137.50
asif16398.50
      12-08-2020, 02:07 PM   #92
HokieM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Mineral Grey Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
Quote:
Hi everyone

Took the car in a few days ago for a new windshield, oil change and they did a recall. I am assuming there did a software update. Was fine for a couple days ..

Today the car is not backfiring or popping on downshifts. Its also not downshifting or holding gears properly even in S3. 2020 M5C.

Any thoughts?
Just got my car back after recall, everything is exactly the same if not better, burble is just as loud.
Did they do the software update or just recall?
Appreciate 1
pcai377.00
      12-09-2020, 10:11 AM   #93
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieM4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone

Any thoughts?
Did they do the software update or just recall?
Both

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 10:28 AM   #94
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

Quote:
Both
could you check the software version please ?

Mine is 11/2020.34, it was fine on the previous version 07/2020.54
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2020, 12:51 PM   #95
Spunky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I just dropped off my 2019 for service. Spoke with the service manager, who said they've been doing the recall related updates for about 2 weeks and have not heard anybody complain. Believes it is not related and the backfires should not be affected. We shall see in the next day or so...
Appreciate 2
      12-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #96
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky View Post
I just dropped off my 2019 for service. Spoke with the service manager, who said they've been doing the recall related updates for about 2 weeks and have not heard anybody complain. Believes it is not related and the backfires should not be affected. We shall see in the next day or so...
Once completed can you ask what version of software they installed?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #97
TheD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
I have a friend that is a service manager in a main dealer that I have been trying to get hold of all day.
He got back to me a short while ago.

I started the conversation with some small talk about needing an oil change and he said, "Yes no problem but there is something I need to tell you before you do it."

The gist of it is that this software update (amongst many other things) is a borderline mild remap of the car.

He has said everyone he has done it for in a F90 has commented that you notice a difference in how the car drives for the better. Apparently it also increases MPG without sacrificing power.

He also said EVERYONE including those with aftermarket exhausts have complained that the exhaust note has changed for the worse along with a drastic reduction in snap crackle and pop.

I have been told I can bring the car in for the oil change and the recall and he can do it without having to do the software update, but only for now.

Because of how long it takes the dealer to do the update BMW have allowed some leeway for now and have not made it a step that has to be done by the dealer immediately.
He has told me that within a year or so it will be unavoidable either because
A. There will be some sort of recall where a component that gets replaced will require the updated software to function.
B. It will be mandatory for the dealer to complete this step as the service history will not update without it.

This leaves me in the conundrum that I now need to decide if I should just get it over and done with and embrace it or if I should avoid it like covid.

What would you do?
At this point I am SCARED!

Let’s go step by step:

I took an 2020 M5 one month ago and Friday I did my first service. My car received the update. Same issue to the tank vent and a major OS7 update with Android Auto. Car is sounding much less than before.

My personal opinion?

BMW did a mess as usual with emission and they are trying to fix it before having a new VW scandal. These are the points:

1) Less MPG consumption means less power
2) Less power means less emissions

After dieselgate scandal nothing is more important for a major producer than avoiding a new emission scandal.

For this reason they gave us “gifts”. Enhanced Voice assistant capabilities (I found out no enhance of the system, just a different visual design on the screen) and Android Auto.

BMW always wanted to win the challenge against RS6 and E63 and how could they do it better more than GIVING MORE POWER THAN DECLARED? We all know that M5 always had around 630hp on the dyno. Comp few more, but less than the officially 25 declared.

They are trying to reduce immediately the emissions and the only way the have is reducing consumption and power.

I’m also experiencing some issues on bluetooth functionality and user profile recognizing when I unlock the car.

I do really hope I’m wrong, but if they are doing this procedure under coverage, they are really doing a mess.

Somebody did the update should try the car on the dyno as soon as possible and compare che results with a car without update.

I they are doing something like that it is a fraud.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 06:23 PM   #98
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

I think you're half right. The emissions issue was the ventilation problem, which is apparently two years old and in thousands of cars already (very bad for BMW).

BMW probably bundled the fix inside a full remap so that it would be easy to prove a certain level of completion to the powers that be. If the only way to install the fix is through a new version, all you need to do is read out the overarching software version.

I think there is no change in noise or power, and people are just overreacting to FOMO.

All IMHO.
Appreciate 2
MM198422.50
Padfan9808.00
      12-09-2020, 08:19 PM   #99
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

SCARED??? LOL, over a software update??? bro you got some issues. LOL
Appreciate 1
euro*1657.50
      12-09-2020, 09:49 PM   #100
euro*
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
I have a friend that is a service manager in a main dealer that I have been trying to get hold of all day.
He got back to me a short while ago.

I started the conversation with some small talk about needing an oil change and he said, "Yes no problem but there is something I need to tell you before you do it."

The gist of it is that this software update (amongst many other things) is a borderline mild remap of the car.

He has said everyone he has done it for in a F90 has commented that you notice a difference in how the car drives for the better. Apparently it also increases MPG without sacrificing power.

He also said EVERYONE including those with aftermarket exhausts have complained that the exhaust note has changed for the worse along with a drastic reduction in snap crackle and pop.

I have been told I can bring the car in for the oil change and the recall and he can do it without having to do the software update, but only for now.

Because of how long it takes the dealer to do the update BMW have allowed some leeway for now and have not made it a step that has to be done by the dealer immediately.
He has told me that within a year or so it will be unavoidable either because
A. There will be some sort of recall where a component that gets replaced will require the updated software to function.
B. It will be mandatory for the dealer to complete this step as the service history will not update without it.

This leaves me in the conundrum that I now need to decide if I should just get it over and done with and embrace it or if I should avoid it like covid.

What would you do?
At this point I am SCARED!

Let's go step by step:

I took an 2020 M5 one month ago and Friday I did my first service. My car received the update. Same issue to the tank vent and a major OS7 update with Android Auto. Car is sounding much less than before.

My personal opinion?

BMW did a mess as usual with emission and they are trying to fix it before having a new VW scandal. These are the points:

1) Less MPG consumption means less power
2) Less power means less emissions

After dieselgate scandal nothing is more important for a major producer than avoiding a new emission scandal.

For this reason they gave us "gifts". Enhanced Voice assistant capabilities (I found out no enhance of the system, just a different visual design on the screen) and Android Auto.

BMW always wanted to win the challenge against RS6 and E63 and how could they do it better more than GIVING MORE POWER THAN DECLARED? We all know that M5 always had around 630hp on the dyno. Comp few more, but less than the officially 25 declared.

They are trying to reduce immediately the emissions and the only way the have is reducing consumption and power.

I'm also experiencing some issues on bluetooth functionality and user profile recognizing when I unlock the car.

I do really hope I'm wrong, but if they are doing this procedure under coverage, they are really doing a mess.

Somebody did the update should try the car on the dyno as soon as possible and compare che results with a car without update.

I they are doing something like that it is a fraud.
Damn, sounds like a conspiracy theory:
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 10:12 PM   #101
OttoM5
Rep
Drives: 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

Ok, these conspiracies are getting out of hand.

The recall was for a tank ventilation issue. This strictly has to do with pressure in the fuel system...letting air in and out of the system. We know that the EPA being a government agency that it is, will be behind in finding an issue if their is one in their ever changing regulations.

I don’t know the BMW system, but it seems that it’s a software fix. This probably has to do with the ventilation system being electronically controlled, so an adjustment of the “venting” takes place. It took a month for a solution because.....it’s the EPA. Have you ever tried to pull a permit at the city level for something?

Ok, we all can agree the Fuel Ventilation recall has nothing to do with pops and bangs.

The new software update, could effect pops and bangs if it remapped the ECU. The only reason they would do this would to make the car more efficient in its timing with combustion, meaning a better performing car if anything.

My educated guess? The ECU mapping hasn’t been changed, and guys are thinking “fuel” tank recall coincides with exhaust sound because it’s “fuel” related. I would bet nothing has changed in regards to exhaust sound.
Appreciate 2
AHall981.50
ashmostro1254.00
      12-09-2020, 10:19 PM   #102
HokieM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Mineral Grey Metallic

The Fuel Ventilation recall and the latest software update are two separate issues. The latter does remap the ECU and slightly changes the tone of the exhaust. It's a very slight change, but a change nonetheless. Noticeable enough for my four year old to comment on it.
Appreciate 1
F30Andy1774.00
      12-09-2020, 10:25 PM   #103
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlar View Post
Quote:
Both
could you check the software version please ?

Mine is 11/2020.34, it was fine on the previous version 07/2020.54
Where can I see that?

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 01:52 AM   #104
TheD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
Damn, sounds like a conspiracy theory:
Yes, it’s exactly what I heard about Dieselgate.

Anyway, it’s a little bit “strange” that a software update is going to change the sound of the car, even more if it’s something they do aftermarket during fixing updates on the sold cars (even on two years old cars). This stuff usually happens during LCI update.

I am scared because I don’t want a different car in terms of power and engine performance, and less fuel consumption and reduced emission 100% mean less power.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 04:24 AM   #105
Azlar
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Where can I see that?
If you go to car - settings - general - go down to 'remote software update ', in there is the current version.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 04:25 AM   #106
Azlar
Private
England
Rep

Here is the reply I got from the dealership.

I asked for it to be reversed and they tell me it isn't possible as 'all updates are carried out from the BMW system so we do not have access to the previous versions'

The EU / ECE exterior noise legislation stipulates that the driving noise of passenger cars should be
gradually reduced by 2026.
For BMW M vehicles as of production 07/2019 onwards, BMW is already adapting the noise levels, thereby
making a contribution to greater quality of life.
However the vehicle continues to display the sporty and emotional sound typical for the BMW M brand.
In order to give the customer a clear image of the current sound of the exhaust system (standard and sport),
it is essential to recommend demonstration of a vehicle produced after 07/2019
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #107
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoM5 View Post
Ok, these conspiracies are getting out of hand.

The recall was for a tank ventilation issue. This strictly has to do with pressure in the fuel system...letting air in and out of the system. We know that the EPA being a government agency that it is, will be behind in finding an issue if their is one in their ever changing regulations.

I don’t know the BMW system, but it seems that it’s a software fix. This probably has to do with the ventilation system being electronically controlled, so an adjustment of the “venting” takes place. It took a month for a solution because.....it’s the EPA. Have you ever tried to pull a permit at the city level for something?

Ok, we all can agree the Fuel Ventilation recall has nothing to do with pops and bangs.

The new software update, could effect pops and bangs if it remapped the ECU. The only reason they would do this would to make the car more efficient in its timing with combustion, meaning a better performing car if anything.

My educated guess? The ECU mapping hasn’t been changed, and guys are thinking “fuel” tank recall coincides with exhaust sound because it’s “fuel” related. I would bet nothing has changed in regards to exhaust sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #108
TheD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I asked for it to be reversed and they tell me it isn't possible as 'all updates are carried out from the BMW system so we do not have access to the previous versions'

The EU / ECE exterior noise legislation stipulates that the driving noise of passenger cars should be
For BMW M vehicles as of production 07/2019 onwards, BMW is already adapting the noise levels, thereby
However the vehicle continues to display the sporty and emotional sound typical for the BMW M brand.
In order to give the customer a clear image of the current sound of the exhaust system (standard and sport),
Wow, so they are improving my quality of life reducing my exhaust sound in terms of compliace with a future law.

OMG, they are great.

So they will change my power unit with an electric one in compliance with UK regulation that will forbid internal combustion cars from 2030?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #109
OttoM5
Rep
Drives: 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

Quote:

Based off of this response from the dealer, the owners of 2020 MY M5s would have complained about the exhaust sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 12:52 PM   #110
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Based on what Azlar and others from EU (and UK) are saying vs. what north american owners are reporting, it looks like the software update for NA and EU cars are different, no? Most NA owners (apart from a couple) are saying there's no change to the burble tune after the software update, while we know for a fact that newer EU M5s (and M8s) are neutered from the factory and earlier production date cars which did have a burble tune according to Azlar have had the burble tune completely removed by the software update.

We have known for a long time now that post 07/2019 EU M5s have been neutered. It appears that BMW is trying to get the pre 07/2019 M5s "cleaned up" in the EU with this software update by eliminating the burble tune to make it in-line with the newer cars. This doesn't appear to be happening with the NA version of the software update as NA owners have reported. The only thing that appears weird to me is why some NA owners say that the pops and bangs have been reduced (volume/frequency).

Last edited by pcai; 12-10-2020 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0