BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Random Cold Engine Tick

11-12-2023, 05:25 PM   #1
smbsocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 M5, '59 C1, '23 X6

Random Cold Engine Tick

I have a '21 M5 and when cold the M5 engine may have a random loud tick/ping. The tick/ping isn't always present and subsides after the engine has been warmed up. It almost sounds like the normal ticking/pinging of the engine but ever so often, randomly, there will be a much louder tick/ping.

The M5 has 20k miles and the issue started after service at 18k miles which included; air filter, spark plugs and oil change.

My BMW dealership has been able to recreate and confirm the issue but have been unable to identify the cause over the past week. The fact that it occurs randomly has made it more difficult to point to a specific item/issue. The dealership have turned videos of the issues over to BMW engineers for further advice.

Here is a video I took a couple weeks ago. It is easy to identify the tick/ping on my cell phone speaker but not on my notebook speakers so depending on what you are listening to it may not be evident.

https://youtube.com/shorts/J1XuBU0gXZY

Anyone else run into this before?

Thanks much.
Appreciate 0