BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Finally test drove an M5

07-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #1
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Finally test drove an M5

Well was stuck between getting into an M5 or E63s. MB wouldn't let me drive the E unless I wanted to buy it and I had already let slip I didn't want a white in white car (why they would spec it like that who knows). So they only let me test a C63s which I did enjoy.

Well there were no Ms anywhere near until one day one just happened to pop up on car max with a free transfer to one near me. Needless to say I jumped at the opportunity.

It was a 2020 base M5. Black on extended aragon with exec and assist plus w/ HK. Well the car had 1000 miles but was not taken care of well. Half the hood wasn't shut (she was able to fix it) and there was a big scratch in the front hoot area.

But as soon as I got inside all that crap didn't seem to matter anymore. I felt transported. The car was a dream. Felt so much more comfortable than my X5 50i with dynamic handling and rear air bags. So much better power delivery. Nothing I need to tell you all. Nonetheless there no longer was a decision to be made. I am for sure getting an M5. Currently have a M5C Marina Bay with full silver stone, BW, Exec, and DA+ on the list. Looking to lease but never leased a car before so lots of learning steps I think.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 01:27 PM   #2
foldpages
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020

Garage List
2020 AMG E63 S  [0.00]
2020 Jeep Wrangler  [0.00]
2017 X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Well was stuck between getting into an M5 or E63s. MB wouldn't let me drive the E unless I wanted to buy it and I had already let slip I didn't want a white in white car (why they would spec it like that who knows). So they only let me test a C63s which I did enjoy.

Well there were no Ms anywhere near until one day one just happened to pop up on car max with a free transfer to one near me. Needless to say I jumped at the opportunity.

It was a 2020 base M5. Black on extended aragon with exec and assist plus w/ HK. Well the car had 1000 miles but was not taken care of well. Half the hood wasn't shut (she was able to fix it) and there was a big scratch in the front hoot area.

But as soon as I got inside all that crap didn't seem to matter anymore. I felt transported. The car was a dream. Felt so much more comfortable than my X5 50i with dynamic handling and rear air bags. So much better power delivery. Nothing I need to tell you all. Nonetheless there no longer was a decision to be made. I am for sure getting an M5. Currently have a M5C Marina Bay with full silver stone, BW, Exec, and DA+ on the list. Looking to lease but never leased a car before so lots of learning steps I think.
Nice! I was also between the two and ultimately pulled the trigger on the E63s. I test drove both the E63s and M5C and for me, the E63s was just a little bit more exciting.

You should definitely try and test drive an M5C as the suspension is quite a bit stiffer than the base M5.

When you start negotiating numbers, Leasehackr is a great resource: https://leasehackr.com/calculator
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 02:31 PM   #3
selpo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Cayenne GTS

Quote:

Good luck ! I just picked up mine and am pleased so far. If you have time, should be able to search for a great deal, even use a broker. I was limited by time and the specific color combo/options but still got a respectable deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #4
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by selpo View Post
Quote:

Good luck ! I just picked up mine and am pleased so far. If you have time, should be able to search for a great deal, even use a broker. I was limited by time and the specific color combo/options but still got a respectable deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foldpages View Post
Quote:

Nice! I was also between the two and ultimately pulled the trigger on the E63s. I test drove both the E63s and M5C and for me, the E63s was just a little bit more exciting.

You should definitely try and test drive an M5C as the suspension is quite a bit stiffer than the base M5.

When you start negotiating numbers, Leasehackr is a great resource: https://leasehackr.com/calculator
Yep using lease hacker already. On there is where I found the aforementioned M5C. Unfortunately not going to be able to test drive. None within hundreds of miles. And I don't think it'll bother me all that much. Firm suspensions that is. Although I would be happy with either. I do like the M5C rims and the exhaust though. Although I know the exhaust is easy to source relatively inexpensive. The rims are another story lol
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #5
amg55driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I was on the same boat. test drove both E63S Sedan and Wagon, and M5/M5C, all of them (when spending $120k+ you need to know what you really want).

I went with base M5, becuase M5C didnt really impress me, and MB just didnt do the job for me.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 06:26 AM   #6
Gassy
Soporificist
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5- Rhodonite/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg55driver View Post
I was on the same boat. test drove both E63S Sedan and Wagon, and M5/M5C, all of them (when spending $120k+ you need to know what you really want).

I went with base M5, becuase M5C didnt really impress me, and MB just didnt do the job for me.

Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by amg55driver View Post

Good luck
My experience exactly, except I've never even seen an E63 wagon, let alone driven one. I went with the base M5 because I like the less aggressive everyday suspension; it tightens up just fine in Sport Plus X 3, and I really didn't care for the M5C wheels, truth be told. The number of occasions I actually get to open her up to top speed is so limited, and the acceleration and handling of the base being as strong as they are made that decision easier as well.
      07-03-2020, 06:57 AM   #7
Earlando86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 and F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gassy View Post
My experience exactly, except I've never even seen an E63 wagon, let alone driven one. I went with the base M5 because I like the less aggressive everyday suspension; it tightens up just fine in Sport Plus X 3, and I really didn't care for the M5C wheels, truth be told. The number of occasions I actually get to open her up to top speed is so limited, and the acceleration and handling of the base being as strong as they are made that decision easier as well.
Same here. Hell, base suspension is hard enough for me. I take my X7 out when I expect to go to rougher pavements.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 03:15 PM   #8
Wrighterjw10
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, G05 M50i

So your MB dealer only let’s you test drive if you are buying the E? What a horrible policy. Maybe clear credit, but I’d never commit to buy before driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #9
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighterjw10 View Post
So your MB dealer only let’s you test drive if you are buying the E? What a horrible policy. Maybe clear credit, but I’d never commit to buy before driving.
Haha ya I thought it was a bit sad but MB had always been a bit more hoity toyty. Plus the car was in the show room. The C63s was too but they pulled it out for me lol. Oh well. Their loss.

And with that said I would love the M5 over the M5C but I like the rims and I can't find a base M5 with my preferences. Ugh. Would save me about $10k though lol
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #10
Wrighterjw10
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, G05 M50i

Quote:
Haha ya I thought it was a bit sad but MB had always been a bit more hoity toyty. Plus the car was in the show room. The C63s was too but they pulled it out for me lol. Oh well. Their loss.

And with that said I would love the M5 over the M5C but I like the rims and I can't find a base M5 with my preferences. Ugh. Would save me about $10k though lol
I really like the e63 interior. Not gonna lie. But performance is better in the M5. Exterior styling is subjective, but the e63 just looks boring.
Appreciate 0