BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    BMW Performance Center West / M8CP / Ambient Temp 106

07-03-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
RoboM5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 - Space Gray

BMW Performance Center West / M8CP / Ambient Temp 106

We were the first to drive new M8CP yesterday at the BMW Performance Center West and I'm very happy to report the engine cooling has been upgraded over the stock M5s (not CP). I'm writing this in the M5 forum because I drive an M5CP and we drove the none CP version on the M5 at Thermal in 80 degree weather and the M5 dropped the power within 3 laps. This starts with the M5 reduced redline from 7,200 to 6,500, then down to 5,500 and power dropped to 400'ish, per dynamic sport HP guage.

We drove the M8CP in 106 degree weather and then held up for about 10 laps. We only had to do a rolling cool down to get the car back to a lower temp and then back at it. We were all totally stunned how much better they were holding up in the heat. We were short shifting at about 5,500 to help save them too.

Both the M5s and the M8s drive amazing, I don't use the rear bias M-Mode and go straight to traction control off. The cars are totally predictable and even a novice driver should not have any issues losing traction, but the rear bias M-Mode is less predictable because there is no power going to the front wheels and when you're in a turn and the rear bias goes to the front, you better be ready for it.

I would say the main driving difference between the M5 and M8 is turn in and exit of the tight low speed turns, the M8 understeers less and had significantly less tire wear than the M5 did with similar driving.

We also learned the M5CPs cooling is supposed to be upgraded from the M5. I have only driven my M5CP on the track once age was short shifting in 80 degree weather and didn't have any issues, but wasn't driving it like I do when I do private lessons in BMWs cars...

I hope this info helps.

Current ///M: '19 F90 M5CP Donnington Grey/CCB/MPE/MP full carbon
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 05:07 PM   #2
LQM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 750i

I live about 3 miles from the thermal track (BMW West perf school). In summers temps usually hover between 115-120, I push my M5 hard everyday and can report I've never had an issue with over heating. Even in these temps car handles like a dream.