BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Fixing coolant expansion tank

09-19-2023, 08:18 AM   #23
F10Mfizzy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 mfizzzzzy

Guys it’s not that serious just keep an eye on your tank. I drive with engine cover off to keep iats a bit lower.. I always keep an eye on the tanks.. this motor creates so much heat it’s inevitable to stop those tanks from eventually leaking it’s plastic. Had a whole week of 90 + degree days in nyc this summer. Had the car in traffic AC blasting and all… with that being said luckily I was smart enough to check coolant levels.. it actually burnt some coolant off because of the extreme temps so always check your coolant levels!! Add some redline waterwetter in there to help as well.. many people blown their motors for the simple fact of not checking coolant levels then blame the m5 like omg another blown motor these cars suck…no you just need to keep an eye on certain things.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 02:55 AM   #24
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 F91

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10Mfizzy View Post
Guys it’s not that serious just keep an eye on your tank. I drive with engine cover off to keep iats a bit lower.. I always keep an eye on the tanks.. this motor creates so much heat it’s inevitable to stop those tanks from eventually leaking it’s plastic. Had a whole week of 90 + degree days in nyc this summer. Had the car in traffic AC blasting and all… with that being said luckily I was smart enough to check coolant levels.. it actually burnt some coolant off because of the extreme temps so always check your coolant levels!! Add some redline waterwetter in there to help as well.. many people blown their motors for the simple fact of not checking coolant levels then blame the m5 like omg another blown motor these cars suck…no you just need to keep an eye on certain things.
I do expect to get a low coolant warning before there’s a chance for engine to blow because of the low coolant?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 04:43 AM   #25
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Maybe before the engine blows from low coolant but not before the tank leaks onto the injectors and coils and causes the engine to fail.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 03:38 PM   #26
EMCCM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Comp/2022 G80 Comp

Getting this replaced next week due to a leak. For what it’s worth, my dealer is replacing this for nearly free despite being out of warranty, suggest anyone asks their dealer to do the same before doing DIY.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2023, 06:10 PM   #27
hookson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 2015, M5 2019

Hey guys if somebody still wants to get CCP I have few more in stock here in US. Worldwide shipping possible. ✌🏻

https://1evel.us/products/f90-m5-f9x...lant-catch-pan
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 06:12 AM   #28
EMCCM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Comp/2022 G80 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookson View Post
Hey guys if somebody still wants to get CCP I have few more in stock here in US. Worldwide shipping possible. ✌🏻

https://1evel.us/products/f90-m5-f9x...lant-catch-pan
Do you have evidence of the updated model failing in the form of at least somebody posting about it somewhere? I’ve searched a lot about this issue and haven’t come across someone with a replacement part # that failed I’d consider buying something like this as a failsafe (despite the exorbitant cost for plastic with a hole in it, which obviously there’s R&D involved, but wow), but it seems a bit asinine to think BMW has this known issue, then issued a new part that fails in the same manner. Seems like they are asking for a lawsuit to replace a part known to risk catastrophic engine failure with another one that does the same. Anyway, would love to see examples of the failed new part, would make me highly consider purchasing your product to have my dealer install this next week.

Edit: of course now I’ve already found instances myself after searching further. Super frustrating, will need to consider purchasing this.
Appreciate 1
hookson82.00
      09-23-2023, 09:03 AM   #29
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
I just checked the coolant level on my 2023 w/5500 miles. It was 225ml below the min line. I'm not sure if that's a leak or it has been that way since the factory. I'll keep an eye on it. I inspected the tank as best I could and I didn't see any evidence of a leak. Seems like the Germans cannot figure out cooling systems. I ordered some HT-12 to have on hand JIC. And a quart of oil too. I miss the days of a GM car where I could just pop over to walmart to get OEM stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 09:54 AM   #30
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

It is interesting that many have found the level low without triggering a low level code.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 10:58 AM   #31
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMCCM View Post
Do you have evidence of the updated model failing in the form of at least somebody posting about it somewhere?

Edit: of course now I’ve already found instances myself after searching further. Super frustrating, will need to consider purchasing this.
You probably found the one about another member’s updated tank only surviving around eight months I believe. I agree it is frustrating and inconvenient to always be on the lookout under the bonnet of when it’s going to happen.

Edit: The Youtube algorithm at its finest when I needed a point of reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlDyQeHp0WQ

Last edited by imperfectluck; 09-23-2023 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0