BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    Details of avant-garde BMW 1 Series Sport Cross / XCite emerge

03-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #111
Feli_330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18’ M2

I like it! But it better be rwd or have an x-drive option at least. I could see the eDrive version as a daily driver while a proper M sits in the garage for the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:38 PM   #112
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
The rest of the world knows that BMW, MB, Audi, all make and have made, a wide range of vehicles, from utilitarian strippers to ultra luxury vehicles. It's just that BMWUSA (and MB, and Audi) only brought their fully optioned, bigger engine, fancier models to the USA and positioned them as a luxury brand. Well, that is not exactly true in the rest of the world. Yes, they make vehicles in that 'category', but you could also buy a 5-series with a small, efficient, 4-cyclinder motor, manual windows, a manual transmission, cloth seats, and no air conditioning, etc. for a very long time along side those that might have cost twice as much out the factory door like those sold to the USA. We are just getting some of the world view of these companies. It's a mindset. The rest of the world doesn't have an issue with it. Just goes to show the narrow mindedness of the typical American. A high performance, fully loaded, luxury BMW or sport version will still be available, but it will now coexist in the USA with more of the range the rest of the world has been able to access for decades. The rest of the world doesn't see this as a problem...why should those in the USA?
You should go in here and build the cheapest one first and see where is that 5-er with manual windows:
www.bmw.de

Second, regardless that you can get them in cloth, for the rest of Europe it is still a premium vehicle with a premium price. Even stripped, BMW was never a cheap car even in Europe.
Do not mixed BMW with Skoda, Seat or Opel.

Third, the guy is talking about sportiveness of the brand and luxury. With FWD I don't see that. Do you?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #113
e92miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 C300

That white one is actually nice but make it the new X1.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:38 PM   #114
e92proper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335 / 2013 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schm
Can't wait for the Cabrio version!!!

Saw one of these today and I almost had a seizure!!! Lololol
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:14 PM   #115
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Hmm I wonder if that's what this test vehicle is?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 03:07 AM   #116
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Like the looks of the white one!

The red one looks like crap.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 03:29 AM   #117
RedRabbit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive 30i

the camo test vehicle definitely looks like an Infiniti by the weird C pillar kink outline
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #118
atg4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Yes you were wrong. We are still the number one Premium manufacturer.
It is not just BMW. Porsche,Audi and Mercedes are rapidly expanding their model ranges. To lay this at BMWs door only as if they are the sole destroyers of their soul is not fairly accurate.
BMW prided itself on RWD a. They used to laugh at the cheap Japanese cars for their FWD usage. Now we have it. We used to laugh at Audi using multiple chassis for multiple different cars and brands. BMW claimed that their chassis were engineered around each and every model. With 35up, that's no longer the case. The number of models is whatever but my problem is that BMW is chasing the dolla dolla bill now rather than making what THEY deem is the ultimate driving machine. Pretty soon, the only difference between a merc, Audi or BMW is who's pocket your money is going into rather than what car you're getting.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #119
nate82
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like John Force

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
re-bodied Toyota Venza? Where's the X7? Seems BMW always shows up late to the party.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #120
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandertg21 View Post
The number of models is whatever but my problem is that BMW is chasing the dolla dolla bill now rather than making what THEY deem is the ultimate driving machine.
+1, greed.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #121
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower View Post
What is this? Slowly annoying me... Why can't BMW be a truly devout sport/luxuxry brand, like they once used to be? The perfect line up would really, only exist of a 3 series, 5 series, 7 series, X5 and X3 and a supercar, like audis R8. The 4 series now would remain the 3 series coupe, and the 6 series, would turn to a 5 series coupe. Simple nomenclature, small amount of cars which dominate every segment as BMW can concentrate on perfecting them. And where's the problem with that? Wheres the problem with staying a proper company? Like Porsche?
Then their profits would drop, share prices would drop, and in would step VW or Toyota to start buying up chunks of the company.

If you have any idea of the ownership structure at VW and Porsche, you'd see the Porsche business model is simply irrelevant to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 02:46 PM   #122
atg4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
Then their profits would drop, share prices would drop, and in would step VW or Toyota to start buying up chunks of the company.

If you have any idea of the ownership structure at VW and Porsche, you'd see the Porsche business model is simply irrelevant to BMW.
If BMW were a publicly traded company, yes. But they own their own shares. VW can't come in and buy.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #123
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandertg21 View Post
If BMW were a publicly traded company, yes. But they own their own shares. VW can't come in and buy.
I'm not an expert but to me it seems up to 53% of the company might be available..

http://www.bmwgroup.com/bmwgroup_pro...sstruktur.html
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #124
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
I'm not an expert but to me it seems up to 53% of the company might be available..

http://www.bmwgroup.com/bmwgroup_pro...sstruktur.html
They won't sell to VAG. They stopped VAG interference in SGL and had previous VAG interference in the times of the Rover dispute.
BMW sold Land Rover to Ford in spite of VAG offering more money because VAG were interfering in BMW AGs affairs and prepping the German press and stock market for a VAG takeover.
      03-17-2015, 05:29 PM   #125
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
They won't sell to VAG. They stopped VAG interference in SGL and had previous VAG interference in the times of the Rover dispute.
BMW sold Land Rover to Ford in spite of VAG offering more money because VAG were interfering in BMW AGs affairs and prepping the German press and stock market for a VAG takeover.
Scott, I'd love to know more about this kind of thing, I understand that it was Susan Klattens efforts that stopped VW getting a bigger stake of SGL, but isn't a large share of BMW publicly traded? Do the Quandts and their extended family buy up anything that becomes available? What were VW's plans during the Rover dealings?

Leads me to my final question, who makes the most profit from BMWs success? If they can't be taken over then to me it simply is a question of making more profit vs. staying true to its core values... I'm happy for BMW to do what it needs to do to survive, but if it's profitable without pandering to shareholders, then does it need to do what it's doing?

I look forward to tomorrows press conference and reports.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 05:41 PM   #126
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Scott, I'd love to know more about this kind of thing, I understand that it was Susan Klattens efforts that stopped VW getting a bigger stake of SGL, but isn't a large share of BMW publicly traded? Do the Quandts and their extended family buy up anything that becomes available? What were VW's plans during the Rover dealings?

Leads me to my final question, who makes the most profit from BMWs success? If they can't be taken over then to me it simply is a question of making more profit vs. staying true to its core values... I'm happy for BMW to do what it needs to do to survive, but if it's profitable without pandering to shareholders, then does it need to do what it's doing?

I look forward to tomorrows press conference and reports.
VAG wanted BMW and if they could not get BMW they would have taken MINI and Rolls-Royce , things were not as chaotic as made out in the press which was more due to interference by other parties trying to pincer BMW.
GM and Ford also submitted bids for BMW but realistically that was never going to happen.
      03-17-2015, 05:42 PM   #127
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
You should go in here and build the cheapest one first and see where is that 5-er with manual windows:
www.bmw.de
I did say "COULD" buy them that way. But, especially in Germany where you can option the vehicles almost a la carte like you could in the old days in the USA, the difference in out the door price, even in the same series range, can be huge. In the USA (and some other markets), they only import them with a minimum subset of options (so not optional), and push them to be marketed as a premium brand. IMHO, they've always made a better Buick than the Chevy (back when those actually were designed and built in their own factories, not necessarily today), but what is sold for say taxi use in Germany verses what BMW or MB sell to us in the USA is quite different in both cost and features.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 05:55 PM   #128
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

In many areas of Europe we are submitted to tax on our vehicles so Efficiency is important .
That is why the best selling 3er is not the 335i but the 320d and in the largest market for the 3er Europe - 320ds are sold in all specifications from base models with halogen lights and small wheels. Its the market that determines this , a 3er is not only a good business car but also a good option for a first BMW or a retiree. We also sell copious amounts to Local Government , Police and Government so it illustrates that the best 3er in terms of popularity and sales is not the M3 but the 320d.

The same stands for the 5er and 1er we even introduced 114d and 518d in order to gain further sales at the lower end of the market. You may call it as selling out but its good common sense and essential to extend sales and profitability as owners normally specify extra equipment at cost and also Individual options to his or her desire. Globally each BMW model in each segment when broken down bar the Z4 , i3 and i8 the best seller and popularity lies with the diesel models within each segment.

It is where we have been since the last decade and there will be no change unless there is a surge in electric and further sustainable vehicles to eclipse diesel models.
      03-17-2015, 07:23 PM   #129
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
If they can't be taken over then to me it simply is a question of making more profit vs. staying true to its core values...
ding ding ding ding ding!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 08:01 PM   #130
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Is Porsche less of a car company because they make an SUV? Is MB less of a car company because they also make trucks? BMW makes a vast array of cars, not all of them would likely be called luxury as defined in the USA where bigger, more powerful engines, and features are expected.

BMW has been marketed in North America as (only) a premium, luxury vehicle, when they have been making much more plebeian vehicles since the beginning along with Audi and MB. The major dilution that is occurring is that we're now seeing more of the available models here. This has nothing to do with the core competency of the company...crank out a lot of stuff to make some profit also means more money for research and development.

Is a McLaren really worth $1M a copy? It is if you want to make money...volume helps pay the bills, and automation and spreading the knowledge around helps make it more affordable. BMW is good at it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 08:38 AM   #131
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzyqu View Post
starting to fall out of love for bmw....might be switching to Jaguar if the XE S is any good
Just now? I made that decision years ago.
      03-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #132
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Screw the X-Cite concept.
Make it like in the white rendering, put an RWD biased transmission in it, badge-it X1 and call it a day!
There will be the most loved small SAV in history.

I wish to work for BMW and show them the light. With some perfect reliable and beautiful vehicles, well build and well equipped, BMW could rule the world of cars, by keeping their benchmark title without being in need to penetrate every niche.

But, what I am talking, BMW decided to choose confusing expansion and walk away from the sporty core and true enthusiast values.

I was reading the other day, how after years of supremacy, BMW was beaten consequently in the last tests by all direct competitors and even by some outsiders. After years as a benchmark, the 3 series ins no more...
If I will be a member of the oval table in BMW headquarter I will start to really shake some chairs...
Appreciate 0