BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Carwow enamored with the M5 CS

09-07-2021, 02:51 PM   #45
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
People really want to believe the CS was more than a quick way to wag the dog and get people to pay more for less. Museum with plaque that reads "perfection?" More likely to end up in the section giving examples of consumer mania, marketing tricks, and astroturf.
Go drive one and then come back and let us know what you think. There is a legitimate reason why all of the reviews have been so positive.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #46
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

^^^The only people who think like this are the people who haven't driven one. I'm sold. I want to hate BMW for shoddy designs and 'M everything' as of late but the M5 CS has drawn me back into the mix. They should have tuned the M5 Comp like this somehow giving feel back to the steering rack. Almost feels hydraulic. Well done BMW. And the buckets are extraordinary. Better than Porsche GT car buckets (more comfortable and more adjustable and heated) and a lot more user-friendly. They cradle you as well as any seat can. Easy ingress/egress. Not for chubby people though because the bolsters are quite snug even on most relaxed setting. BMW makes the best seats in the business.
Appreciate 1
Chicane_1050.00
      09-07-2021, 07:27 PM   #47
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
^^^The only people who think like this are the people who haven't driven one. I'm sold. I want to hate BMW for shoddy designs and 'M everything' as of late but the M5 CS has drawn me back into the mix. They should have tuned the M5 Comp like this somehow giving feel back to the steering rack. Almost feels hydraulic. Well done BMW. And the buckets are extraordinary. Better than Porsche GT car buckets (more comfortable and more adjustable and heated) and a lot more user-friendly. Easy ingress/egress. Not for chubby people though because the bolsters are quite snug even on most relaxed setting. BMW makes the best seats in the business.

careful.... i got a few people panties in a bunch when i said something similar.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 10:35 PM   #48
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

Quote:
And the buckets are extraordinary. Better than Porsche GT car buckets (more comfortable and more adjustable and heated) and a lot more user-friendly.
Hmmm… heated seats but no armrest storage? I guess being "hard-core" doesn't mean giving up toasty bum, lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 04:40 AM   #49
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeh the fixed center console is idiotic. I would've changed a bunch of stuff. There's no perfect car, sadly. But if the drive is a top priority, the M5 CS is your car. Probably not as a daily driver but some will. Although, the car is very comfortable overall. Ride quality is almost luxurious.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 06:03 AM   #50
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep

It's too bad that BMW makes the real M5 in an Uber expensive limited production model. In my opinion there should only be the M5, not three separate models of it.

I can almost get behind the idea of having two, the M5 and M5C, where the C is the hard-core track model that's a bit edgy for the regular supersedan crowd. The CS should have been the C, and I'm sure most Competition buyers would pay an extra $10k for all the CS hardware minus the crazy rear seats and carbon hood, especially if it got such universal praise from the media.

Isn't it also kind of dumb that the M5CS gets hand-me-down (up?) seats from the M3 Competition? There is no M3CS, which is a good thing IMO.

BMW has way too many models and seems to water-down their regular MX performance cars.
Appreciate 2
Slugsy01157.00
      09-09-2021, 07:02 AM   #51
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Carwow enamored with the M5 CS

The orginal design brief for the M5 wasn't for a trackday car, but really welcome BMW having the balls to do this when on paper it doesn't fit.

M5 CS demand shows there is a need for this type of car.

The only real fault of the M5C is the feedback and feel, but if you have driven the orginal E28, the steering is much worse IMHO - even more so in the E34 with its recirculating ball steering. This maybe because the versions I drove were old and tired, but this comment is frequently levelled at the M5s of old.

For me the M5C is the nutter barge that meets family, towing and occasional wet trackdays duties.

The UK doesn't get the standard M5 at the moment so we just have two versions.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 08:04 AM   #52
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep

There's nothing dumb about these 'hand me down' seats. I'm certain BMW spent a ridiculous amount of money engineering them, and they are almost perfect. Only things I'd change is deleting the ball sack holder, adding a bit of lumbar and maybe cooling. Other than that I've never sat in a better seat for spirited driving. Perfect combination of comfort and performance. The standard M5 seat is amazing too. Also has to be one of the ultimate seats on the market. Both blow away Porsche's.

Oh, and here's another thought. I rode in the rear bucket seat and was astonished by the comfort and support. Best back seats in history. Maybe even better than the front seats because they're easier to get in and out of and also don't have the absurd ball sack holders.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 11:23 AM   #53
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
It's too bad that BMW makes the real M5 in an Uber expensive limited production model. In my opinion there should only be the M5, not three separate models of it.

I can almost get behind the idea of having two, the M5 and M5C, where the C is the hard-core track model that's a bit edgy for the regular supersedan crowd. The CS should have been the C, and I'm sure most Competition buyers would pay an extra $10k for all the CS hardware minus the crazy rear seats and carbon hood, especially if it got such universal praise from the media.

Isn't it also kind of dumb that the M5CS gets hand-me-down (up?) seats from the M3 Competition? There is no M3CS, which is a good thing IMO.

BMW has way too many models and seems to water-down their regular MX performance cars.

CF seats are usually not bespoke to a specific model, unless you are into hypercar territory. Porsche typically has the same seat for its GT3, GT3 RS and GT2 RS. Now the TTS with the lightweight package has the same seats. Nothing is hand me down. If anything from the price and hierarchical perspective, its the other way round.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 09:30 PM   #54
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
There's nothing dumb about these 'hand me down' seats.
Apologies, I wasn't stating the seats themselves were bad. I'm sure they're as incredible as you and many others have said.

I was merely suggesting because they come from a model costing half as much it just takes something away from that special feeling a rare 5-Series of that price should have. Those are M3/4 Competition seats in an M5, not the other way around.

I must clarify, I do believe the M5CS is every bit the pinnacle of big sedan performance everyone says it is. It's an astonishingly good car. BUT, I feel the Competition should have been this car minus a few of the crazier bits, then more people would have the opportunity to own one.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2021, 02:44 AM   #55
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

I think cars such as M5, RS6 and GT3 wouldn't be as relatively cheap, if the main R&D costs hadn't being recouped through lesser model sales and parts reuse.

Customised low volume supercars with anything carbon, runs into multiple £100ks and likely to be fairly unreliable and very expensive to run.

Throttle house had a drag race between the M5 CS and 992 porsche Turbo, with the Turbo barely winning. The ring times tell a similar story.

The way that BMW have put the M5 CS together from the parts bin with some recalibration magic makes this car special enough
Appreciate 1
Chicane_1050.00
      09-10-2021, 07:45 AM   #56
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlees View Post
The way that BMW have put the M5 CS together from the parts bin with some recalibration magic makes this car special enough
That's what they typically after the first few years of production. They literally did the same thing with the M2C when they had to get rid of the N55 and used the S55 from the bin and de-tuned it not to compete with the M3/M4.
Appreciate 0