BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Engine started by itself

10-06-2023, 06:42 PM   #1
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X7, '22 M5C, '21 Ram

Engine started by itself

Curious if this has happened to anyone on here. Did a few searches on here and on google, found nothing.

I drove to my daughter’s soccer, parked, hit the off button. After about 2 minutes, the engine turned itself back on with us still sitting in it. I had a message on the dash saying remote start engaged. The fob was in my pocket and not compressed and I wasn’t moving. This is the second time it’s happened like this. The other time was in my garage. I hadn’t gotten out and my daughter was still getting out and the engine turned itself on. I think I might be the basis for a long awaited sequel.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 07:01 PM   #2
zman21
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

I assume the car is completely stock? Not heard of that before. I'd take it in for a check. Esp. if it happened twice.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 08:39 PM   #3
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman21 View Post
I assume the car is completely stock? Not heard of that before. I'd take it in for a check. Esp. if it happened twice.
Yes, stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 06:24 AM   #4
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

I don't know if your car is brand new or not, however if you purchased used there is a chance the previous owner still has it on their app and are "havin a laugh" with you as us limeys say.

I still have cars on my app that I have not owned in over three years which I am able to lock, unlock, flash headlights, remote start, etc.

It might be an idea for you to reset it all to factory and make sure you are the only authorised user of the app.
Appreciate 2
      10-08-2023, 07:13 AM   #5
zman21
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

F30Andy has a great point..if you bought the car used. Pretty uncool of the former owner if they intentionally did that, but it can happen. BMW may also be able to see how the car was started when they hook it up to their system. Have the approximate date/time written down when it started on its own as I believe the car's onboard systems record that type of data.

Last edited by zman21; 10-08-2023 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2023, 07:26 AM   #6
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
I don't know if your car is brand new or not, however if you purchased used there is a chance the previous owner still has it on their app and are "havin a laugh" with you as us limeys say.

I still have cars on my app that I have not owned in over three years which I am able to lock, unlock, flash headlights, remote start, etc.

It might be an idea for you to reset it all to factory and make sure you are the only authorised user of the app.
+1

delete the old profiles and everything else or do you have scheduled "conditioning."
Appreciate 2
      10-08-2023, 12:44 PM   #7
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moserkm View Post
Curious if this has happened to anyone on here. Did a few searches on here and on google, found nothing.

I drove to my daughter’s soccer, parked, hit the off button. After about 2 minutes, the engine turned itself back on with us still sitting in it. I had a message on the dash saying remote start engaged. The fob was in my pocket and not compressed and I wasn’t moving. This is the second time it’s happened like this. The other time was in my garage. I hadn’t gotten out and my daughter was still getting out and the engine turned itself on. I think I might be the basis for a long awaited sequel.
Check climate control preconditioning
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2023, 12:49 PM   #8
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman21 View Post
F30Andy has a great point..if you bought the car used. Pretty uncool of the former owner if they intentionally did that, but it can happen. BMW may also be able to see how the car was started when they hook it up to their system. Have the approximate date/time written down when it started on its own as I believe the car's onboard systems record that type of data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
+1

delete the old profiles and everything else or do you have scheduled "conditioning."
Agreed with all of the above. As much as I tried, my previous RRs couldn’t be removed from my iOS app. I believe that it required the new owner to make some settings changes on his end that he never executed. I’m sure if the car had been returned to the RR dealership, they would have handled this, but my BMW dealer certainly didn’t. I’d never screw with anyone like this, but the car was totally controllable for about a year after I sold it to get into my first F90.
F30Andy1778.50
      10-08-2023, 12:52 PM   #9
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
+1 — this is what I was thinking as well.

That, or the car has some serious Christine vibes.
Attached Images

10-08-2023, 02:17 PM   #10
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
+1 — this is what I was thinking as well.

That, or the car has some serious Christine vibes.
LOL.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2023, 09:14 PM   #11
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep

Quote:

No, I special ordered it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 09:16 PM   #12
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
What am I checking?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 09:17 PM   #13
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moserkm View Post
What am I checking?
Check to make sure you don't have thr car set to start at a specific time (you could've also set it to do a one off in which case you'd never be able to tell)
Appreciate 0