BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Exhaust center box rattle

04-13-2024, 04:44 PM   #1
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX F90 M5

Exhaust center box rattle

Heard a slight rattle the other day, today on a cold start it was much more pronounced.
Went under the car thinking it was the valves.
After hitting under the exhaust all over the place and getting underneath when the car is running it appears it’s coming from the middle box of the stock muffler setup.
Has anyone had something like this before? Searching the forum it appears some have had issues with the valves but I cannot replicate it at the mufflers only that center box.
Debating on how to go about this, I already have x pipe and secondaries. Wasn’t planning on doing more exhaust work.
Cheapest fix would be to simply delete that middle section and just have the two rear mufflers separate.
More expensive would be to just get the MAD catback.

Last edited by LouK; 04-13-2024 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 04:29 PM   #2
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Updating this in case anyone else ever has this issue.

Took a better look under the car and found out the center box is actually cracked which is whats causing the noise.
Shop is going to just cut it out and cap the outer mufflers.
Appreciate 1
Holset274.00
      04-17-2024, 09:04 PM   #3
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouK View Post
Updating this in case anyone else ever has this issue.

Took a better look under the car and found out the center box is actually cracked which is whats causing the noise.
Shop is going to just cut it out and cap the outer mufflers.
Wonder how that happened. I've never seen that before.

Obviously I prefer you go the Mad catback option but, here is another option if it doesn't sound great

https://recyclebmws.com/products/bmw...r-8071111.html
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 09:08 PM   #4
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
So you will just be straight pipe 100% now?
I still have my primaries and the outer two mufflers. Only taking out the highlighted in red center piece.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 01:23 PM   #5
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
I still have my primaries and the outer two mufflers. Only taking out the highlighted in red center piece.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 04:00 PM   #6
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

Quote:
I seen a post that suggested that cutting that centerbox out improves the sound and i tend to agree as my awe exhaust have two separate pipes in the back and it sound good together with the x-pipe.
But it can introduce some drone too.
Appreciate 1
LouK170.00
      04-18-2024, 06:34 PM   #7
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Crack is just underneath the pipe going to the drivers side muffler
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Holset274.00
      04-18-2024, 06:51 PM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I’d get a full cat back, but if you like what you have, weld up the crack or cut out the middle box and put a straight pipe in. I bought a valved titanium exhaust for $1800 shipped from Alibaba and like it. Also have Supersprint turbo manifolds, Savu 3.5” primaries and MAD secondaries.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 04-18-2024 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 07:53 PM   #9
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I’d get a full cat back, but if you like what you have, weld up the crack or cut out the middle box and put a straight pipe in. I bought a valved titanium exhaust for $1800 shipped from Alibaba and like it. Also have Suietsprint turbo manifolds, Savu 3.5” primaries and MAD secondaries.
You mean supersprint manifolds? It’s super expensive did you noticed/measured any difference?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 08:49 PM   #10
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’d get a full cat back, but if you like what you have, weld up the crack or cut out the middle box and put a straight pipe in. I bought a valved titanium exhaust for $1800 shipped from Alibaba and like it. Also have Suietsprint turbo manifolds, Savu 3.5” primaries and MAD secondaries.
The only thing i would gain from a full catback would be different rear mufflers. I am fairly satisfied with the current volume, so if i can just delete the rear section and have it fixed that makes the most sense for me.

I understand the titanium will make it sound slightly different than the factory setup. I just dont think its worth it for me though.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 09:10 PM   #11
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The only thing i would gain from a full catback would be different rear mufflers. I am fairly satisfied with the current volume, so if i can just delete the rear section and have it fixed that makes the most sense for me.

I understand the titanium will make it sound slightly different than the factory setup. I just dont think its worth it for me though.
Bang for the buck that should make you content is fixing what you have. I do think a full aftermarket exhaust sounds different from a hacked-up-but-probably improved sound-wise stock exhaust.

And also that titanium sounds better. Worth my $1800 but not your $5000.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 09:42 PM   #12
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bang for the buck that should make you content is fixing what you have. I do think a full aftermarket exhaust sounds different from a hacked-up-but-probably improved sound-wise stock exhaust.

And also that titanium sounds better. Worth my $1800 but not your $5000.
Whatever helps you justify the alibaba offbrand lol,
my 5,000 to some random other amount of money. 😂
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 07:20 AM   #13
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holset View Post
You mean supersprint manifolds? It’s super expensive did you noticed/measured any difference?
I did not do any before and after testing. Yes, the turbo manifolds are expensive. Only 3 members here have them that I am aware of and none have any before and after. Supersprint makes claims about flow but also has no numbers. This is definitely not a bang for the buck mod and it probably adds little power to a stock block with tune and bolt ons, but neither do any other bolt on parts. I will likely build a motor in the next year or two.

One member who is building a 1300-1400 rwhp motor said his shop looked at the Supersprint manifolds and decided they did not offer much improvement. It’s all relative. If I build a motor, it will be pump gas plus meth and probably 800-900 rwhp. I like the efficiency theory — sort of like the full Dinan intake. If you improve efficiency you can get more out if what you have with less boost and stress.

Comparing the stock and Supersprint side by side, I don’t see any dramatic gains. I think I see minor ones and maybe they add up. I did spend additional money to coat the manifold, which reduces temperatures in the hot Vee and improves efficiency. I would recommend coating to anyone considering the manifold because the larger runner manifold means the part of a heat shield that extends from under the alternator to over the first 2 runners (#1 and #4) must be trimmed away. I think its purpose is to insulate the turbo oil drains and the Bank 2 turbo actuator.

Sound wise, I’d like to say there is more volume but honestly it could be in my mind.
Appreciate 1
Holset274.00
      04-19-2024, 07:31 AM   #14
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Whatever helps you justify the alibaba offbrand lol,
my 5,000 to some random other amount of money. 😂
I am not trying to justify anything. We are all free to spend our money how we choose. And if paying $5000 for a titanium valved exhaust made in China makes you feel better than paying $1800 for a titanium valved exhaust made in China, then spend the extra money for the “name brand” label you have heard about rather than the “off brand” label. I put the savings towards more mods so I did not really save any money.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 08:44 AM   #15
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
I did not do any before and after testing. Yes, the turbo manifolds are expensive. Only 3 members here have them that I am aware of and none have any before and after. Supersprint makes claims about flow but also has no numbers. This is definitely not a bang for the buck mod and it probably adds little power to a stock block with tune and bolt ons, but neither do any other bolt on parts. I will likely build a motor in the next year or two.

One member who is building a 1300-1400 rwhp motor said his shop looked at the Supersprint manifolds and decided they did not offer much improvement. It’s all relative. If I build a motor, it will be pump gas plus meth and probably 800-900 rwhp. I like the efficiency theory — sort of like the full Dinan intake. If you improve efficiency you can get more out if what you have with less boost and stress.

Comparing the stock and Supersprint side by side, I don’t see any dramatic gains. I think I see minor ones and maybe they add up. I did spend additional money to coat the manifold, which reduces temperatures in the hot Vee and improves efficiency. I would recommend coating to anyone considering the manifold because the larger runner manifold means the part of a heat shield that extends from under the alternator to over the first 2 runners (#1 and #4) must be trimmed away. I think its purpose is to insulate the turbo oil drains and the Bank 2 turbo actuator.

Sound wise, I’d like to say there is more volume but honestly it could be in my mind.
Okay cool man yeah have not heard that many people run these.
How is the build quality and welds?

Supersprint is an old company that has made exhaust for Bmw’s for a long time.
I have supersprint downpipes on my car and I wasn’t impressed with the welds on them especially for the price but so long they have held up fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 09:15 AM   #16
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

The build quality is good from the outside. The merge inside was not as good as I would have liked to see from the end of the turbo side, but the more important direction is through the runners to the turbo, not backwards from the turbo. They fit fine, but they are also adjustable in that the crossover runners are adjustable — can be pulled in or out of the main pipe a little. Photo is before sending to Jethot for the 2500 degree coating.

What diameter are the Supersprint one piece down pipes? All 3.5”? 3.5” at the turbo then 3.0”? Stepped or consistent?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Holset274.00
      04-19-2024, 09:39 AM   #17
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am not trying to justify anything. We are all free to spend our money how we choose. And if paying $5000 for a titanium valved exhaust made in China makes you feel better than paying $1800 for a titanium valved exhaust made in China, then spend the extra money for the “name brand” label you have heard about rather than the “off brand” label. I put the savings towards more mods so I did not really save any money.
What 5,000 are you talking about? Thats what I’m confused about??? I never mentioned me spending any money on that?
Only actual exhaust mentioned was the MAD which is 1800ish.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 11:00 AM   #18
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

I thought you were responding to my post about the titanium valved exhaust I bought from Alibaba for $1800. If you buy what appears to be the same titanium valved exhaust with a name brand, it is $5000, and I don’t think the markup is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 12:20 PM   #19
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
The build quality is good from the outside. The merge inside was not as good as I would have liked to see from the end of the turbo side, but the more important direction is through the runners to the turbo, not backwards from the turbo. They fit fine, but they are also adjustable in that the crossover runners are adjustable — can be pulled in or out of the main pipe a little. Photo is before sending to Jethot for the 2500 degree coating.

What diameter are the Supersprint one piece down pipes? All 3.5”? 3.5” at the turbo then 3.0”? Stepped or consistent?
Okay thanks for the pic.
The downpipes is bigger about first 8” or so then step down tp 3”.
Appreciate 0