BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Regional Forums UK    Joined the M5 club

03-06-2023, 06:26 AM   #1
Rza000
Rep
Drives: BMW M5C

Joined the M5 club

Hi all,

I picked up my 'used' M5C on Friday. Picking up cars never gets old, all that excitement and anticipation, love it! About the car, it is a year old example with approx 7k miles in Brands Hatch Grey, Silverstone leather and comes with comfort pack. I do miss not having radar cruise, but it was hard to find a suitable car with tech pack unfortunately. As from my previous post, I am coming from an Audi SQ7 (petrol v8), great car but having owned SUVs for a number of years, I was a little bored and wanted to get back to a more enjoyable car. Not only is this my first M car, it is my first BMW. As I am a little late to the game, there is not much more or different I can provide as way of feedback, you all know all the details and there are some wonderful posts here detailing this way better than I can ever. But I will share some personal thoughts below;

Power and luxury - The power is so addictive and probably too much for the road. The acceleration is brutal, the kids love it
Handling - As I am coming from an SUV, most cars will feel better handling wise, I just love how easy this goes round bends, roundabouts and corners
Tech - I love having buttons (I know the newest versions are going all digital), the screens and idrive are really nice and so easy to use, I missed having a click wheel too. It is so much better than my Audi with the configurations, settings and info available. My Audi did not even have tyre pressure monitors!
Quality - I feel the quality is of a much higher standard than the Audi (the Audi was great), leather feels better, there is more of it too.
Sound - I know non LCI sounded better, but I am loving the sound here, SQ7 was ok, but the is so much better.
App - I find the app is better than the Audi too, plus having a digital key on phone is great just in case.
Seats - I love the front seats, so comfortable and hold you in place. Lots of adjustments
Head Up display - Fantastic and huge so much better in ether standard or sport mode.
Other - The auto hold is soo much better than previous car. So is stop start but I don't use this.

Not so good:
I don't like you can't switch off the comfort access as I could in my previous car
Unable to change the tilt angle of passenger mirror when reversing (again I could in Audi)
Having manual child locks in rear doors (Audi you could switch them on and off electronically via a switch
Rear seat space for such a large car is a bit small. I know the front seats take a lot of room.
Drivers display - limited configuration options

Getting Familiar:
The fat steering wheel, still trying to get used to it.
I miss the rear wheel steering of my car as the turning circle on the M5 is much longer

Appreciate 5
Patton2502939.50
DavidXJ663.00
M5 London337.00
      03-06-2023, 06:47 AM   #2
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Congratulations on the beautiful car!

I thought that the steering wheel was too fat for a long time but I did get used to it and do not even think about it anymore.

I did not get used to the terrible turning radius - it is probably the worst on any car I have driven in decades. I park in a garage in NYC and it always requires a few extra moves to get the car where I want. I had a Mercedes mini-bus rental in Spain two weeks ago that turned in a smaller radius than the M5.
Appreciate 1
Rza00021.00
      03-06-2023, 06:55 AM   #3
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Beautiful pictures. I love that color. There should be a switch on your armrest that allows you to tilt the passenger side mirror when you go in reverse. It’s been on every BMW I’ve owned since 2019. If it’s not on yours perhaps it’s a “built for England” thing?
Appreciate 1
Rza00021.00
      03-06-2023, 09:00 AM   #4
Rza000
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM3 View Post
Congratulations on the beautiful car!

I thought that the steering wheel was too fat for a long time but I did get used to it and do not even think about it anymore.

I did not get used to the terrible turning radius - it is probably the worst on any car I have driven in decades. I park in a garage in NYC and it always requires a few extra moves to get the car where I want. I had a Mercedes mini-bus rental in Spain two weeks ago that turned in a smaller radius than the M5.
Thanks. I am sure I will get used to the steering wheel, it is feeling better the more I drive it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 09:02 AM   #5
Rza000
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Beautiful pictures. I love that color. There should be a switch on your armrest that allows you to tilt the passenger side mirror when you go in reverse. It’s been on every BMW I’ve owned since 2019. If it’s not on yours perhaps it’s a “built for England” thing?
It does tilt when I select reverse (as long as the mirror button switch is on the drivers mirror. The issue is unlike my Audi where you could adjust and set the reverse tilt angle, here it is fixed and for me tilts way too much.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 09:07 AM   #6
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rza000 View Post
It does tilt when I select reverse (as long as the mirror button switch is on the drivers mirror. The issue is unlike my Audi where you could adjust and set the reverse tilt angle, here it is fixed and for me tilts way too much.
I think I understand what you’re saying. You can adjust how much it tilts when you put it in reverse. I forget how to do that right this second and I’m not in one of my BMWs. Maybe someone else can chime in also.
Appreciate 1
Rza00021.00
      03-06-2023, 11:56 AM   #7
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Congratulations on the new car! It’s absolutely beautiful. Enjoy it in good health!

I absolutely adore RHD M5s!

FYI — You can turn off Comfort Access in iDrive (at least on US spec cars). Child locks should also be electronic (or again, they are at least for US spec cars) with the button by the driver’s window switches. If you purchase BimmerCode and the necessary dongle, you can adjust what percentage angle the side mirrors tilt down at in multiples of 10.
Patton2502939.50
      03-06-2023, 11:59 AM   #8
Rza000
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Congratulations on the new car! It’s absolutely beautiful. Enjoy it in good health!

FYI — You can turn off Comfort Access in iDrive (at least on US spec cars), and if you purchase BimmerCode and the necessary dongle, you can adjust what percentage the angle the side mirrors tilt down at in multiples of 10.
Thank you. That's interesting, I could not find anywhere in iDrive to turn this off completely. I will have another look.

So no way of changing angle without coding I guess then.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2023, 12:02 PM   #9
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you. That's interesting, I could not find anywhere in iDrive to turn this off completely. I will have another look.

Sorry, I edited my post after you quoted it because I forgot about mentioning the child locks.

See if the child lock button is where I mentioned.

As for Comfort Access, I will take a look in iDrive for you when I am in the car next. I’m wondering if it’s different for UK market cars.
      03-06-2023, 12:06 PM   #10
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

You’re welcome! Unfortunately, it’s no go without coding. But the app is $40 USD here and the peferred dongle (OBDLink CX BimmerCode) is $80 USD.
It’s a great investment in my opinion — there are at least a few things you’d probably want to end up changing once you see the capabilities.

It’s very easy and doesn’t require any technical knowledge.

You can see everything possible here:

https://bimmercode.app/cars/g30/
      03-07-2023, 04:30 AM   #11
Rza000
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I edited my post after you quoted it because I forgot about mentioning the child locks.

See if the child lock button is where I mentioned.

As for Comfort Access, I will take a look in iDrive for you when I am in the car next. I’m wondering if it’s different for UK market cars.
Ah ok, must be different across the pond. I have manual child locks only the rear windows are controlled electronically via the button you mentioned. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 04:33 AM   #12
Rza000
Rep

Quote:
You’re welcome! Unfortunately, it’s no go without coding. But the app is $40 USD here and the peferred dongle (OBDLink CX BimmerCode) is $80 USD.
It’s a great investment in my opinion — there are at least a few things you’d probably want to end up changing once you see the capabilities.

It’s very easy and doesn’t require any technical knowledge.

You can see everything possible here:

https://bimmercode.app/cars/g30/
Thanks for this, appreciated. I will look into this.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 12:55 PM   #13
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah ok, must be different across the pond. I have manual child locks only the rear windows are controlled electronically via the button you mentioned. Thanks.
Very likely. This is probably another one of these Euro/UK safety things that is different from NHTSA regulations in the US.

At least you get the laser lights that we don’t!

Haven’t been in the car yet, but I will check the Comfort Access menu location in iDrive for US spec for you when I am in it later today.
      03-07-2023, 12:56 PM   #14
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for this, appreciated. I will look into this.
You’re welcome!
      03-09-2023, 01:24 PM   #15
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Rza000 sorry for the delay. Just got in the car. For US spec cars, the comfort access option is found at:

Menu —> Car —> Settings —> Comfort Access

There you will find two tick boxes:

Unlock when approaching
Lock when walking away

If you don’t see this there, I am assuming it’s not an option for UK spec cars.

Hope this helps.

EDIT — In case it’s not in that location, but perhaps somewhere else in the menus, perhaps try hitting the voice command button on the steering wheel and saying “comfort access settings.” That should pull it up if it exists.
      03-09-2023, 03:35 PM   #16
Charmonafarm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp F90

Joining the M5C club 😎

Hi All,

Tomorrow i pick up my 2021 M5C in brands hatch grey. I am very much looking forward to it!

I took delivery of one of the first BMW M4s many years ago and looking forward to getting back into BMW product. I have just come out of a 3 year contract hire on a Tesla Model 3 performance and its safe to say whilst the performance (in a straight line) is great fun and charging at home works well, the cost of charging (now £40 for a full charge at a supercharger) and the realistic mileage of 180 - 200 miles on a full charge, i am glad to see the back of it.

I am 32 and a car nut and also own a Mcclaren 720s.

The M5 is going to be my new daily (40 miles a day roughly) and i cant wait to collect.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 02:39 AM   #17
Mark6147
Private
England
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

What's the spec of the car? My old car was for sale in the Wales area!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 06:50 AM   #18
Rza000
Rep

Quote:
Rza000 sorry for the delay. Just got in the car. For US spec cars, the comfort access option is found at:

Menu —> Car —> Settings —> Comfort Access

There you will find two tick boxes:

Unlock when approaching
Lock when walking away

If you don’t see this there, I am assuming it’s not an option for UK spec cars.

Hope this helps.

EDIT — In case it’s not in that location, but perhaps somewhere else in the menus, perhaps try hitting the voice command button on the steering wheel and saying “comfort access settings.” That should pull it up if it exists.
Thanks, I have these options, I was looking for one to completely turn off keyless entry etc. But its fine as I have found out the key stops sending a signal after so many seconds.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2023, 06:52 AM   #19
Rza000
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmonafarm View Post
Hi All,

Tomorrow i pick up my 2021 M5C in brands hatch grey. I am very much looking forward to it!

I took delivery of one of the first BMW M4s many years ago and looking forward to getting back into BMW product. I have just come out of a 3 year contract hire on a Tesla Model 3 performance and its safe to say whilst the performance (in a straight line) is great fun and charging at home works well, the cost of charging (now £40 for a full charge at a supercharger) and the realistic mileage of 180 - 200 miles on a full charge, i am glad to see the back of it.

I am 32 and a car nut and also own a Mcclaren 720s.

The M5 is going to be my new daily (40 miles a day roughly) and i cant wait to collect.

Exciting! Hope the collection goes well. I am sure you will enjoy it more than the tesla. Also nice colour choice, I am liking the colour more and more on mine. Enjoy! 720, nice, I have been in one and they are a serious bit of kit and underrated in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 11:58 AM   #20
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, I have these options, I was looking for one to completely turn off keyless entry etc. But its fine as I have found out the key stops sending a signal after so many seconds.
Glad to hear it!
      03-11-2023, 01:24 AM   #21
Charmonafarm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp F90

Thanks guys! Picked up from Coventry! Little bit disappointed though . On driving home I noticed the the wheel isn’t straight. Quite strange. I need to turn it slightly off centre to the left in order for the car to go straight. It also came up with a RDC tyre monitoring failure? I was two hours into the drive home so didn’t have time to take it back. Will take to Sytner Cardiff Monday to see if they can fix it. Also, I noticed the rear exhaust doesn’t look like a standard M5C exhaust. I think it’s after market and they haven’t noticed? If I upload pictures would someone take a look and let me know? I only noticed last night when showing my dad on the drive!

Thanks all - other than that she is some car, surprisingly quiet to drive and a really comfortable cockpit to be.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 06:23 AM   #22
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Get a faraday box to keep your keys in at night. I’ve seen on our CCTV that this was a great investment.
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ663.00