BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    M5 future owner need reliability input.

11-30-2021, 06:38 PM   #1
BulletsGarage
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current Lexus GSF

M5 future owner need reliability input.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello everyone. New to the forum. I'm looking to get a m5 comp after I Less my Lexus GSF.
The gsf is a great car but I need more power the 5.0 L v8 is a beast super reliable no issues jsut not enough power at 470hp.

When I get the m5 all I plan on doing is downpipes exhaust and I take and a conservative tune. Just to make sure it's running good with those mods. Not looking to break records or anything. Not looking to deal with spun rod bearing type shit.
Those of you that had these amazing cars how has your ownership been? Are you guys just leasing and enjoying them and not worrying about anything? For those of you that purchase them and plan to keep them long term what are possible issues Thst come up?
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1829.50
      11-30-2021, 06:39 PM   #2
BulletsGarage
United_States
Rep

Current ride
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:04 PM   #3
Bfpd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletsGarage View Post
Hello everyone. New to the forum. I'm looking to get a m5 comp after I Less my Lexus GSF.
The gsf is a great car but I need more power the 5.0 L v8 is a beast super reliable no issues jsut not enough power at 470hp.

When I get the m5 all I plan on doing is downpipes exhaust and I take and a conservative tune. Just to make sure it's running good with those mods. Not looking to break records or anything. Not looking to deal with spun rod bearing type shit.
Those of you that had these amazing cars how has your ownership been? Are you guys just leasing and enjoying them and not worrying about anything? For those of you that purchase them and plan to keep them long term what are possible issues Thst come up?
I bought a 2020 new and kept it bone stock until two weeks ago, when I did the Noelle tune. Totally awesome ownership experience for me. Lexus reliable so far, and way more fun. Only had the tune for 2 weeks, but it is next level. Anyway, couldn't be happier with mine. I plan to drive it into the ground!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-01-2021, 07:11 AM   #4
BulletsGarage
United_States
Rep

Appreciate your input man. Glad it's been going good for you.
So now you just have the tune no other mods ?
How many miles u have on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 09:15 AM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

You want to find the high mileage owners. Many don’t drive these cars much, and since they came out just 4 years ago, there aren’t that many high mileage. Most are still under warranty.
Appreciate 2
      12-01-2021, 11:23 AM   #6
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Before I purchased M5, I checked for systemic issues on the F10. I did not find anything that did not appear to be resolved. So I purchased 2021 M5C. I do not believe in modifying/tuning cars, but why do you not just get a tune on the Lexus if you just want more power?
Appreciate 2
      12-01-2021, 01:14 PM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

GSF is naturally aspirated so the results from tuning are much more limited. To gain really noticeable power requires a lot more mods, which costs a lot more.

I modded my E90 M3 naturally aspirated V8 with all the bolt on mods and it woke the car up, but a stock F90 M5 still would literally run away from it and the GSF has straight line performance similar to a stock E90 M3.
Appreciate 2
      12-01-2021, 08:53 PM   #8
hyboost
Private
Rep
Drives: '88 M3

BulletsGarage, good to see you on here.
Make the leap and you won’t look back. I loved my ISF, GSF and LC but the M5 is on another level. Can’t speak to reliability yet since I’ve only had it a couple months but the ride, acceleration and overall feel is night and day. I can only imagine what the tune will feel like…
Appreciate 1
DryBark161.50
      12-02-2021, 12:59 AM   #9
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
I'm currently running M Perf Exhaust and Eisenmann Secondary Downpipes. No tune, and not interested. Just as others have mentioned above, still too early on to really report any old age pains.

Now that I think of it, I don't think I've read on many people having tuned a "new" car and reporting anything positive 5+ years later. whatsoever.

Besides, if all you're worried about is a CEL- you don't get one if you leave the primaries in place and only change lower unit and back. I don't think I would REALLY feel that much more impressed with 750hp in comparison to what it comes with, or however much i'm putting down now.

Id rather Bimmercode triple their customizable offerings and details, but that's just me
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 11:44 AM   #10
BulletsGarage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyboost View Post
BulletsGarage, good to see you on here.
Make the leap and you won’t look back. I loved my ISF, GSF and LC but the M5 is on another level. Can’t speak to reliability yet since I’ve only had it a couple months but the ride, acceleration and overall feel is night and day. I can only imagine what the tune will feel like…
Trust me i know its a totally different beast, i test drove an m5 comp at at bmw event and it blew my mind!!! Tunnel vision when doing a launch!!!
like i told u on ig when u plan to sell let me know!! cuz you always put great mods no your cars and sick wheels. did you buy or lease?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #11
BulletsGarage
United_States
Rep

good plan do the secondary downpipes have cats in them also? if so then ur right just change those and get a catback and it should be perfect sounding. no tune needed
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 11:48 AM   #12
BulletsGarage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
GSF is naturally aspirated so the results from tuning are much more limited. To gain really noticeable power requires a lot more mods, which costs a lot more.

I modded my E90 M3 naturally aspirated V8 with all the bolt on mods and it woke the car up, but a stock F90 M5 still would literally run away from it and the GSF has straight line performance similar to a stock E90 M3.

exaclty even a FBO gsf would only make around 450-460 whp and a supercharger kit from RR-Racing which is the only one that offers forced induction on these cars is a nice 12k price tag. and i cant justify that kinda money on such a outdated platform already.
trans i feel is very slugish for what it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 06:43 PM   #13
Bfpd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletsGarage View Post
Appreciate your input man. Glad it's been going good for you.
So now you just have the tune no other mods ?
How many miles u have on it.
I only have the tune and zero other mods. 11K miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 06:49 PM   #14
Bfpd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSHNGRY View Post
I'm currently running M Perf Exhaust and Eisenmann Secondary Downpipes. No tune, and not interested. Just as others have mentioned above, still too early on to really report any old age pains.

Now that I think of it, I don't think I've read on many people having tuned a "new" car and reporting anything positive 5+ years later. whatsoever.

Besides, if all you're worried about is a CEL- you don't get one if you leave the primaries in place and only change lower unit and back. I don't think I would REALLY feel that much more impressed with 750hp in comparison to what it comes with, or however much i'm putting down now.

Id rather Bimmercode triple their customizable offerings and details, but that's just me
The right tune takes more than a full second off the 60-130, and more than a half second off my previous best 1/4 mile time. Those are huge performance differences (also drops 0.7 seconds off the 0-100 mph).

Agreed the car may need more maintenance once high mileage, but it also partly depends on how you drive it (particularly when not fully warmed up).
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 06:50 PM   #15
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

My 18 has 36k but I added only 12k of those. It was CPO so the service records were good — no issues. I saw one for sale recently with 70k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 10:37 AM   #16
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Good fuel, good maintenance and don’t launch control it every light and lug it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #17
BulletsGarage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryInch View Post
Good fuel, good maintenance and don’t launch control it every light and lug it.
the lugging issue.
thats what i dont understand if the car is in full auto wont the trans downshift if it needs to to avoid lugging the engine?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #18
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, but some guys drive in manual. I do all the time and on the freeway you have to watch especially with some piggie backs or tunes, they add a bunch of boost and you can goto pass someone in 8th not realizing, it will pour on the boost pretty quickly. The car should pull timing but with an aftermarket tune, that can change. Regardless, no engine should be lugged, but special attention is required with these as they build boost pretty fast and quick in low rpm.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 06:35 PM   #19
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh ya and pop the hood when you park for the night. The hot vee turbo makes a lot of heat, with the hood open it escapes quicker and won’t cook the top end of the engine so much.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 05:32 PM   #20
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Owned a 2018 M5 until I ordered my 2022 M5 CS. Drop dead reliable. Had two check engine lights throughout my ownership experience. Dealer fixed both. Loved the car. Loved it so much the only thing good enough to replace it was the best version of it. Get it. Drive it.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 06:59 PM   #21
BulletsGarage
United_States
Rep

Glad to hear.
A buddy with a 2020 m5 with 22k miles. Mods downpipe and tune and motor started knocking bad last night.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 08:15 PM   #22
m4h2o
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSHNGRY View Post

Any vids on the exhaust sound?
Appreciate 0