BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Porterfield racing brake pads rattling?

09-02-2020, 12:32 AM   #1
Lee1224
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 comp

Porterfield racing brake pads rattling?

My 2018 M5 had OEM brake pads replaced with Porterfield pads. Last couple of month I begin to hear a loud rattle noise when car goes over uneven asphalt, worst is hitting manhole covers. Took car in for service and was told that the after market pads was the cause and not much they can do. Tech mentioned that the fit is not perfect and may require a shim or something. Anyone else experience this problem and solution? Was so happy when first installed, got rid of unbearable OEM noise. Now have to choose to live with OEM pads noise or rattle noise. Please help if you experienced this. Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 07:03 AM   #2
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

How many miles and how long have they been installed before the noise began? I installed the Porterfield pads back in December of 2019 and I have not experienced any noise. My M5 is a weekend car and since December of 2019 I have only put about 2k miles on the pads.

When I installed the Porterfield pads they fit snug in the brake calibers. I would reach out to Porterfield and see what they have to say or get a second opinion.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 11:45 AM   #3
Lee1224
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
How many miles and how long have they been installed before the noise began? I installed the Porterfield pads back in December of 2019 and I have not experienced any noise. My M5 is a weekend car and since December of 2019 I have only put about 2k miles on the pads.

When I installed the Porterfield pads they fit snug in the brake calibers. I would reach out to Porterfield and see what they have to say or get a second opinion.
Just got off the phone with Porterfield, they have not heard anything on this issue. they suggest that I record the sound and send them a clip. Just have to figure out a way to do that where it is clear enough for them.
By the way, the pads were installed sometimes in April 2020 and probably not more than 1500-2000 miles on them. I really liked the pads for how quiet they are vs EOM pads. I guess keeping searching for answers. Worst scenario is put OEM pads back on and see if rattle noise gone, that would clarify 100% if pads are the cause.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 09:46 PM   #4
Lee1224
Private
Rep

Quote:

Got my car back today. I asked the tech prior my picking up the car if he can take pics or videos of suspected problem. To all of you guys that installed the pads your self, did you noticed the movement in the pads like in the video.

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 12:20 AM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1224 View Post
Quote:

Got my car back today. I asked the tech prior my picking up the car if he can take pics or videos of suspected problem. To all of you guys that installed the pads your self, did you noticed the movement in the pads like in the video.

All I see is the video shaking.
I don't see brake pad shaking.

If you see the plate on top of it, that is a spring plate.
It put pressure to the brake pad top to sit in place.
There is always a play on brake pad, otherwise it won't slide in and out during braking.

I have been selling and installed ACG / Porterfield brake pads for F90 M5 and I never had issue.

Also, don't ever 100% trust what BMW tech are saying.
I just got a customer that have rattling noise when he hit bumps or driving over rough surface road.
First thing that the BMW tech did, blame it on the H&R spring that I installed few weeks ago.
Then they said that the shock is leaking.
I told my customer that I am sure it is not my installation issue.
Upon arrival, I drove the car around then double checked all suspensions nuts and bolts. All tight and properly torqued.
At the end, I found out that one of the exhaust hanger was halfway loose.
No one touched the exhaust but the BMW Spartanburg assembly line.
So, I tightened it, and problem solved.
So much for being BMW tech where they will blame it on something else before doing a full inspection.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep

It has been my experience the dealership service department mechanics / technicians will point out a modification as the root of the problem. I also own a 2008 Tacoma 4X4 double cab off-road. I purchased it new in 2008 and still currently own it. I replaced the stock tires with Michelin M/S2's and also upgraded the stock brake pads / rotors with EBC stage 5 super street package (yellow brake pads). This was completed at approximately 40,000 miles and the Tacoma has 87,000 miles presently. I developed a steering wheel vibration at freeway speeds around 65mph with no feedback in the brake pedal. I had a recall for the Tacoma that needed to be done and I asked them to look at the vibration issue. I already had the front end alignment checked and it was good. Toyota called me and stated my after market rotors were warped (less then 100 miles on the pads and rotors). Here is were it gets interesting, they could not check the rotors to see if they were warped since they were drilled with slots. They recommended to change the rotors and pads back to OEM and I declined. After searching the web I came across the Toyota bulletin to use the Haweka adapter for balancing the wheels on my Tacoma. I returned to Discount Tire and they located a store that had the Haweka adapter and they re-balanced my wheels and the vibration is gone. The vibration demon was a balancing issue and not brake rotor issue.

Not onto a BMW issue. Back in 2002 we bought a new BMW (E39) 525i for the wife. Fast forward to 2010 I received a coupon in the mail for 50% off a oil change at my BMW dealership. I took the car in just for an oil change and received a phone call later stating it needed close to 4k in work completed. New tires, rear brakes and most notable was the high pressure power steering line was leaking oil. If memory serves me correct the cost of the power steering line was over 2k. I told the service advisor to complete the oil change and nothing else. When I picked up the car and I inspected the oil leak. I found the oil was coming from the rubber oil line that connected to the power steering fluid reservoir. The clamp that secured it the rubber hose at the bottom of the reservoir was allowing power steering oil to seep out and fluid would run down the line to the power steering cooler connection and it made its way to the high pressure power steering line. I replaced the clamp at the bottom of the power steering fluid reservoir and cleaned up the fluid and had my wife drive the car for a week. I checked for any sign of power steering oil leak and it was dry. Cost of the fix around $1.50 from NAPA auto parts. Funny thing is I received a phone call from BMW service department around a month later saying the they were concerned with the power steering oil leak and I advised the tech miss diagnosed the area were the power steering oil was coming from.

Last edited by Egrunt; 09-04-2020 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12912.50
      09-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #7
Lee1224
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
All I see is the video shaking.
I don't see brake pad shaking.

If you see the plate on top of it, that is a spring plate.
It put pressure to the brake pad top to sit in place.
There is always a play on brake pad, otherwise it won't slide in and out during braking.

I have been selling and installed ACG / Porterfield brake pads for F90 M5 and I never had issue.

Also, don't ever 100% trust what BMW tech are saying.
I just got a customer that have rattling noise when he hit bumps or driving over rough surface road.
First thing that the BMW tech did, blame it on the H&R spring that I installed few weeks ago.
Then they said that the shock is leaking.
I told my customer that I am sure it is not my installation issue.
Upon arrival, I drove the car around then double checked all suspensions nuts and bolts. All tight and properly torqued.
At the end, I found out that one of the exhaust hanger was halfway loose.
No one touched the exhaust but the BMW Spartanburg assembly line.
So, I tightened it, and problem solved.
So much for being BMW tech where they will blame it on something else before doing a full inspection.

Here is the complete story. Took car in for complaint of rattle/clanking noise, it was diagnosed that the upper strut mount and left front strut have permanently failed. Ordered parts from Germany , waited three weeks for parts. Parts installed, tech tested car and told me that the rattle noise still exist. They did more discovery and stated that the possible cause may be the front brake pads. The only modification to this car is that I had Porterfield Pads installed. Only got car back couple of days, havent had a chance to really drive it. Will have to keep ears open to see if noise still there. I didnt hear any noise on way home, but that was 80 miles mostly highway smooth road.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12912.50
      09-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #8
Lee1224
Private
Rep

Quote:
Here is the complete story. Took car in for complaint of rattle/clanking noise, it was diagnosed that the upper strut mount and left front strut have permanently failed. Ordered parts from Germany , waited three weeks for parts. Parts installed, tech tested car and told me that the rattle noise still exist. They did more discovery and stated that the possible cause may be the front brake pads. The only modification to this car is that I had Porterfield Pads installed. Only got car back couple of days, havent had a chance to really drive it. Will have to keep ears open to see if noise still there. I didnt hear any noise on way home, but that was 80 miles mostly highway smooth road.

Damn noise still exist. Guess I gotta to do more research. Any ideas are welcome
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #9
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Lee1224:Here is the complete story. Took car in for complaint of rattle/clanking noise, it was diagnosed that the upper strut mount and left front strut have permanently failed.

Well I wonder if they permanently failed? Didn't seem to stop the rattle/clanking noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 05:29 PM   #10
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Quote:
Damn noise still exist. Guess I gotta to do more research. Any ideas are welcome
I know this is an older thread but not that old. In case you are still having this problem - you say in the subject line that you have “race” pads... is that true? Often times an aftermarket pad manufacturer will intentionally make the backing plate of their race pad compounds a little smaller than the street or OEM version to account for the higher temps they will see and the subsequent thermal expansion which could lead to binding of “normally” sized pads.

To be clear, the dimensions we are talking about are NOT thickness of the backing plate but the “width” which is where the outer edges of the backing plate contacts the inner caliper channel.

Something to look for, and if it’s there, it’s not dangerous... just potentially annoying.

-Ash
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 09:08 PM   #11
Lee1224
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
I know this is an older thread but not that old. In case you are still having this problem - you say in the subject line that you have “race” pads... is that true? Often times an aftermarket pad manufacturer will intentionally make the backing plate of their race pad compounds a little smaller than the street or OEM version to account for the higher temps they will see and the subsequent thermal expansion which could lead to binding of “normally” sized pads.

To be clear, the dimensions we are talking about are NOT thickness of the backing plate but the “width” which is where the outer edges of the backing plate contacts the inner caliper channel.

Something to look for, and if it’s there, it’s not dangerous... just potentially annoying.

-Ash
An update to an old post

Sold the M5 last month, prior to sale, I had OEM pads put back on car. Not a bit of annoying rattling sound with OEM pads. Definitely something off with the Porterfield pads. I think that I will just leave the pads alone on my new 2021 M5 comp if and when they start to squeal. The squeal sound is much more liveable than the rattling sound coming from front wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #12
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the update. I have to believe if the Porterfield pads were the cause of the noise it was a isolated incident. The Porterfield's on my M5 are quiet. I am glad you found what the issue was. Did you go with carbon ceramic brakes on your new M5?

Last edited by Egrunt; 08-14-2021 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 09:29 PM   #13
Lee1224
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update. I have to believe if the Porterfield pads were the cause of the noise it was a isolated incident. The Porterfield's on my M5 are quiet. I am glad you found what the issue was. Did you go with carbon ceramic brakes on your new M5?
No ,Just went with regular ones
Appreciate 0