BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    question about snow chains...

12-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #1
gambleup
Rep
Drives: m4

question about snow chains...

is there any chance u can put snow chains on 20in winter tires on the m5 comp?? im about to get winter tires put on soon and i really want to take the car to mammoth for snowboarding trips.... and big bear when it snows but some parts requires chains... wondering if theres enough clearance if anyone has done it??
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

I would not recommend this at all.. if you want to take the car up there buy some winter tires.. driving on PS4's is suicidal in snow conditions.. but to answer your question, yes SCC cables will fit i use them on my regular cars. For M5, Model # SZ435 Super Z-6 should fit OEM 20" non-comp car in rears but the issue you will have most likely is very tight clearance.. i doubt it will fit at all on comp model since it sits lower.

I've taken my F10 M5 many times to mammoth you just have to go when roads are clear, going up there in snowy conditions is just a bad idea..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 01:22 PM   #3
gambleup
Rep
Drives: m4

hey thx for the reply, i am getting winter tires put on but some parts require chains. i dont need chains to drive in the snow in the f90 with winter tires but some parts won't let you pass in a storm without chains. your f10 m5 is a great car but for sure not a good idea to take into snow. the f90 however is will be just fine i was just wondering about the chains clearance for m5 comp
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

If you are going to put snow tires you should be fine, i've never gotten stopped in the past by CHP with snow tires -AWD or 4X4.. all others have to chain up..

since you have comp pack i would not attempt putting those cables as surely you will have clearance issues especially when snow builds up.. i'm only going to take my F90 up there when roads are dry..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 09:38 PM   #5
Ameer ///M6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 M6 GC & 07 bmw M6 & F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg View Post
I would not recommend this at all.. if you want to take the car up there buy some winter tires.. driving on PS4's is suicidal in snow conditions.. but to answer your question, yes SCC cables will fit i use them on my regular cars. For M5, Model # SZ435 Super Z-6 should fit OEM 20" non-comp car in rears but the issue you will have most likely is very tight clearance.. i doubt it will fit at all on comp model since it sits lower.

I've taken my F10 M5 many times to mammoth you just have to go when roads are clear, going up there in snowy conditions is just a bad idea..

I know this is an old post. But I do have a question for ya. I drove up to mammoth yesterday In sunny conditions and we got a freak storm and it’s going to be pretty gnarly driving home. What kind of chains would I need to get?

285/30/20 front 305/30/20 rear? There is zero clearance for the rear wheels but the front I have some. I hear you can put cables on the front of an AWD vehicle. Or will I damage something?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 05:57 PM   #6
CrashCade
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M5 Comp,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameer ///M6 View Post
I know this is an old post. But I do have a question for ya. I drove up to mammoth yesterday In sunny conditions and we got a freak storm and it’s going to be pretty gnarly driving home. What kind of chains would I need to get?

285/30/20 front 305/30/20 rear? There is zero clearance for the rear wheels but the front I have some. I hear you can put cables on the front of an AWD vehicle. Or will I damage something?
You don’t! Do not run chains on a Comp!

Best bet is studded winter tires if legal.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 03:03 PM   #7
Rotary1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition 2019

Garage List
I had chains for my F80. They were low-profile fitting chains and I bought them on etrailer. You should check that site as they were really helpful when I bought my set. As you know that car was RWD and so I kept them in the trunk for emergencies...never had to actually use them but with snows on an F90, you shouldn't need chains.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 08:20 PM   #8
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambleup View Post
is there any chance u can put snow chains on 20in winter tires on the m5 comp?? im about to get winter tires put on soon and i really want to take the car to mammoth for snowboarding trips.... and big bear when it snows but some parts requires chains... wondering if theres enough clearance if anyone has done it??
Per the owners manual, NO. Will they fit? I'm sure there are chains that would fit but then again I'd rather be wafe than sorry.
Appreciate 0