BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Winter tires

10-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #67
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Materhead66 View Post
I have been searching and cannot find an all season performance tire that meets the complete specs. The load factor on the front / rear on the summer tires is 102 / 104. I can find the Michelin 3S+ only in a 100 in the rear size.
Just checked Discount Tire and the seem to have some low end (BFGoodrich) and also the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 but even though fronts are 102Y rears come with 100W - they still sell them as sets of 4 for the M5. Wonder what difference that would make.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #68
Materhead66
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

100- 1764 #'s. and 104- 1984 #'s. I am not a tire expert. I am sure BMW would recommend against it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 07:55 PM   #69
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
100- 1764 #'s. and 104- 1984 #'s. I am not a tire expert. I am sure BMW would recommend against it.
Here is my thought. Yes, the load rating is different for sure. However they are rated at the maximum weight the vehicle can carry/forces.

I did the Michelin AS 3+ last week swap over.

The car carries 1 person, 90% of the time.. no one is in the back seat... except my 70lb. bulldog.

During the colder/winters months.. no way am I loading the car up with the stresses the car sees in the summer.

With the AWD, I don't foresee the need for full blown snow tires like on my M2.

Not to mention our winters are unpredictable.... 60" of snow one year... 10" of snow the next.

I'm completely comfortable with the rears having a lower rating.

Also... didn't BMW say 102 rating all the way around was fine also.. that cuts the difference in the rears, in half.

Even less of a concern.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #70
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Quote:
Here is my thought. Yes, the load rating is different for sure. However they are rated at the maximum weight the vehicle can carry/forces.

The car carries 1 person, 90% of the time.. no one is in the back seat... except my 70lb. bulldog.

During the colder/winters months.. no way am I loading the car up with the stresses the car sees in the summer.

Not to mention our winters are unpredictable.... 60" of snow one year... 10" of snow the next.

I'm completely comfortable with the reads having a lower rating.
Great to hear somebody tried them. How is the car with the all seasons? Any comparison with the previous setup? Did you have Pirellis or Michelin before?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 08:22 PM   #71
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Great to hear somebody tried them. How is the car with the all seasons? Any comparison with the previous setup? Did you have Pirellis or Michelin before?
Unfortunately I had the Pirelli's. (Which are for sale...cheap... 5,300 miles on them)

Only did the change 6 days ago.. so not much time on the tires.

That being said, road noise is less on one particular stretch of my drive.. but on highway surfaces.. I can tell no difference. The car is well insulated.

No change in comfort/tracking/anything else really.

I look forward to see how they perform when it's 20° out.. and in the snow.

Should be a blast.. not as fun as the M2 in 4" of snow... but fun for a car it's size.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #72
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately I had the Pirelli's. (Which are for sale...cheap... 5,300 miles on them)

That being said, road noise is less on one particular stretch of my drive.. but on highway surfaces.. I can tell no difference. The car is well insulated.

Should be a blast.. not as fun as the M2 in 4" of snow... but fun for a car it's size.
I have the Pirellis too I am trying to get rid off and only have about 1400 miles.

I keep asking everybody - but did you have any subtle vibration on steering wheel or feet with them as if the wheels are off balance? I am really hoping switching tires will help since my dealer cannot find anything else wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #73
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have the Pirellis too I am trying to get rid off and only have about 1400 miles.

I keep asking everybody - but did you have any subtle vibration on steering wheel or feet with them as if the wheels are off balance? I am really hoping switching tires will help since my dealer cannot find anything else wrong.
No... nothing like that. Sorry. You could just have a bad tire... but who the hell knows.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #74
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m5 comp

Quote:
Quote:

Also... didn't BMW say 102 rating all the way around was fine also.. that cuts the difference in the rears, in half.

Even less of a concern.
Do you have them on 20" wheels? I wasn't able to find the A/S for 20".

Checked tire rack as well as my local tire shop. 19" was available.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #75
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswiff View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Even less of a concern.

Discount tire and a couple of other places seem to carry them for 20". Note they are 100W vs 104Y (200 pounds less load and W - 168mph vs 186mph max speed) for the rears which should be fine unless you carry full load and have removed speed limiter.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #76
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Even less of a concern.

Discount tire and a couple of other places seem to carry them for 20". Note they are 100W vs 104Y (200 pounds less load and W - 168mph vs 186mph max speed) for the rears which should be fine unless you carry full load and have removed speed limiter.
Thanks. Appreciate it. I'm gonna look again
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 03:49 AM   #77
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Even less of a concern.

Yep.
Right off Tire Rack.

Search for the tire/size... not for the car specially.

$1,008 delivered.

Make sure you are checking for:
A/S 3+

Not A/S 3
Appreciate 1
Oswiff162.00
      10-14-2018, 07:45 AM   #78
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Even less of a concern.

Yep.
Right off Tire Rack.

$1,008 delivered.

A/S 3+

Not A/S 3
Thanks.

Still can find it. Tire Rack search shows no tires in the size.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #79
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Even less of a concern.

Yep.
Right off Tire Rack.

$1,008 delivered.

A/S 3+

Not A/S 3
Thanks.

Find the 275 size first and add it to cart - then find the 285 size and add it to cart too. If you search for both at the same time it won't show them as a possible combination for a set of 4. I just tried it and both are there.

Still not sure why - maybe there is a reason tire rack doesn't want to show them as a set.
Appreciate 1
Oswiff162.00
      10-14-2018, 08:24 AM   #80
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Even less of a concern.

Yep.
Right off Tire Rack.

$1,008 delivered.

A/S 3+

Not A/S 3
Thanks.

Find the 275 size first and add it to cart - then find the 285 size and add it to cart too. If you search for both at the same time it won't show them as a possible combination for a set of 4. I just tried it and both are there.

Still not sure why - maybe there is a reason tire rack doesn't want to show them as a set.
Thanks. I'll do that
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #81
NASTY-M5
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M% Competition

Quote:
Quote:

Even less of a concern.
AWD is not an excuse to not use snow tires.

2019 M5 Competition.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #82
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY-M5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Even less of a concern.
AWD is not an excuse to not use snow tires.
It absolutely is, with the correct non-snow tires, depending each persons climate.

Do you realize A/S 3+ are all-seasons?

For people that get moderate snow, and their state has proper snow removal equipment, these with AWD, is more than adequate.

These are better tires/AWD systems/vehicles together are better than 97% of the vehicles on the road.

EDIT:
In your area.. yes.. true snow tires are needed regardless of the traction system in vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #83
marcvtec
Banned
Rep

Tire rack has the pirelli soto V2 winter tires for the OEM 20 inch tires.
These would work well.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 07:55 PM   #84
Ragazzi-07
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Michelin is suppose to have the alpine 4 or something.

But fronts won't be out until end of November early December
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #85
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:

Before you change tires, you could see if doing a Road Force Tire Balancing would help.

I had a similar problem with my M4 from delivery. It solved the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #86
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth70mde View Post
Before you change tires, you could see if doing a Road Force Tire Balancing would help.

I had a similar problem with my M4 from delivery. It solved the problem.
Thanks - yes I have already done road force balancing at dealer but made no difference.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2018, 11:52 AM   #87
bengals9
Rep

dealer now says you can use the Alpin 5 Snows 265/40/19 102V all around rather than offsetting with 285/40/19 107V. Anyone think that's a bad idea?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 12:43 PM   #88
sybaek9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals9 View Post
dealer now says you can use the Alpin 5 Snows 265/40/19 102V all around rather than offsetting with 285/40/19 107V. Anyone think that's a bad idea?
No issue with this square setup.
Appreciate 0