BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Paint 2018 M5 Door Handles

05-11-2020, 07:43 PM   #1
brownbear_M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Paint 2018 M5 Door Handles

I'm looking to get my chrome door handles factory colored-painted. I'm trying to do a chrome delete and this is the last piece to this puzzle. I've read of some enthusiasts mailing their handles in to IND, but that the handles are also fragile. I don't exactly trust my DIY skills on this so I'd love some guidance on how to remove these or if anyone is aware of a good shop in the Seattle area that could help me out.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
Xx 335Mangaki xX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 12 550xi

Best way and cleanest, purchase 2019 handles and have them color matched. Roughly $400 installed. Cheapest way, purchase color matched vinyl wrap.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 10:07 PM   #3
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear_M5 View Post
I don't exactly trust my DIY skills on this so I'd love some guidance on how to remove these or if anyone is aware of a good shop in the Seattle area that could help me out.
There's a rubber plug in the door at the level of the handle when you open it. Pry that out, use a T15 torx screwdriver with a shaft length of at least 6" to engage the screw inside the door that holds the handle. It's captured and held in plastic, can't fall out inside the door. Turn it out and pull lightly on the door handle as you do. When the handle is free it'll pull out of the door. There are still wires attached on the forward end of the handle. Detach those and tape them to the door so they don't pull back inside. The handle is free.

IND does good work, they've done two sets of handles for me. My 2013 F10 had the chrome on the handle also. They
painted the handle black, and the chrome piece the car color.

Edit: Just watched Egrunt's video, it is a T15 torx! I hate putting bad info up, sorry!

Last edited by Used2be; 05-13-2020 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #4
brownbear_M5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Quote:
I don't exactly trust my DIY skills on this so I'd love some guidance on how to remove these or if anyone is aware of a good shop in the Seattle area that could help me out.
There's a rubber plug in the door at the level of the handle when you open it. Pry that out, use a T20 torx screwdriver with a shaft length of at least 6" to engage the screw inside the door that holds the handle. It's captured and held in plastic, can't fall out inside the door. Turn it out and pull lightly on the door handle as you do. When the handle is free it'll pull out of the door. There are still wires attached on the forward end of the handle. Detach those and tape them to the door so they don't pull back inside. The handle is free.

IND does good work, they've done two sets of handles for me. My 2013 F10 had the chrome on the handle also. They painted the handle black, and the chrome piece the car color.
Amazing, thanks! IND is ordering new 2019 handles for me and getting them painted. Just need to figure out how to put them on. Appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 07:22 AM   #5
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

Attached is a video from Youtube showing how to remove the handles. I have a 18 M5 and want to change the chrome to the body color of the vehicle.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #6
soopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

What color is your car? My car is Singapore GM and my shop used some leftover tint film to cover mine
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 09:54 AM   #7
brownbear_M5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
Attached is a video from Youtube showing how to remove the handles. I have a 18 M5 and want to change the chrome to the body color of the vehicle.

Thanks! I saw this too. This is going to be my guide if I can pull this off. Looks relatively simple and the folks at IND said it was too. They're great. They ordered the 2019 door handles and are getting them painted in my color, Donington Grey, and then will ship them. I'll have them next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

i would not recommend a novice to try this. If you drop that screw, forget it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 05:33 PM   #9
brownbear_M5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
i would not recommend a novice to try this. If you drop that screw, forget it.
Haha, well I was feeling confident till now.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #10
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:

are you handy at all? i mean if so, shoot. If not, do not try it.

If you're still feeling froggy and want to try, do any other door except drivers, in case screw falls in and you can't retrieve.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #11
brownbear_M5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Quote:

are you handy at all? i mean if so, shoot. If not, do not try it.

If you're still feeling froggy and want to try, do any other door except drivers, in case screw falls in and you can't retrieve.
Yeah, that's the plan, good call. Will see once I get the handles and reach out to a few shops to get installation pricing. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 08:12 AM   #12
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

let us know how it goes. I'm thinking of doing this myself
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #13
Clarkey
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport Touring

I had someone wrap mine at a professional place. £40. Very quick. Same colour, so a simple solution. Maybe try living with it and maybe this is easier than the other route?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 06:50 PM   #14
brownbear_M5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
I had someone wrap mine at a professional place. £40. Very quick. Same colour, so a simple solution. Maybe try living with it and maybe this is easier than the other route?
Good idea. Actually, is your whole car wrapped in a gloss black or is trust the handles? Your setup looks great. Love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #15
brownbear_M5
Private
United_States
Rep

I have so much satisfaction coursing through my veins right now. One door handle in the books.

It takes a little intuition but it's not terribly difficult. IND sent me the the two pieces for each door handles plus the door lighting and wires to connect it back to the car. It's doable. I'll record myself doing the next handle in case anyone is interested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Egrunt548.50
Jamesmick131.00
      05-26-2020, 04:46 PM   #16
Clarkey
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport Touring

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Good idea. Actually, is your whole car wrapped in a gloss black or is trust the handles? Your setup looks great. Love it.
Car is sapphire black, and so are the chrome door parts now. Whole car is painted, they are the only wrapped parts.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 12:55 AM   #17
brownbear_M5
Private
United_States
Rep

In case anyone is interested, here are photos of the install. Fairly straightforward.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 09:39 AM   #18
brownbear_M5
Private
United_States
Rep

Additional photos.[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Jamesmick131.00
mgmarsh39253.00
      12-09-2020, 10:49 AM   #19
Mountainbiker
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great thread. Thanks for the info. I just ordered the painted handles from IND as well. Quick ques - can I reuse the existing wiring for the door handles? Or, should I replace them with the new ones that are included with the handles? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #20
brownbear_M5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbiker View Post
Great thread. Thanks for the info. I just ordered the painted handles from IND as well. Quick ques - can I reuse the existing wiring for the door handles? Or, should I replace them with the new ones that are included with the handles? Thanks
It's a simple, yet rewarding DIY job. I assembled each door handle with the wiring that it came with and just swapped the entire handle out. It was too challenging to remove the wiring from the existing handles and no point really since the new ones come with wiring. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 05:26 PM   #21
Mountainbiker
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
It's a simple, yet rewarding DIY job. I assembled each door handle with the wiring that it came with and just swapped the entire handle out. It was too challenging to remove the wiring from the existing handles and no point really since the new ones come with wiring. Good luck!
Super helpful thank you! In terms of putting the handles together, do the covers need to match to specific handle base or are they all the same except for the driver side door with the key hole? Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 05:52 PM   #22
brownbear_M5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbiker View Post
Quote:
Super helpful thank you! In terms of putting the handles together, do the covers need to match to specific handle base or are they all the same except for the driver side door with the key hole? Thanks again
You bet. Two will be the same for the two passenger side doors, and then the rear passenger door handle for behind the driver and the driver door handles will be different. So you should have three variants. I'd lay them all out first as you put them together but they're fairly easy to distinguish.
Appreciate 0