BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    M Perf H.A.S vs. KW V4 opinions?

06-15-2020, 01:30 AM   #1
x5m50i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 M50i

M Perf H.A.S vs. KW V4 opinions?

Hello guys,

Soon to be an F90 owner, i am already planning the mods and among them is the suspension. Since KW doesn't offer the DDC version for the F90, i am stuck between M Perf H.A.S and KW V4. I am not looking for maximum performance, but a more sleeker look with a nice drop. I know H.A.S has a max drop of 15mm while V4 of 30mm.
My question is: does the H.A.S compromise the ride quality? I will not be tracking this car, but most like driving it on B roads rarely.

Can any of you give an advice?

Regards
      11-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
DallasLife345M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Uber

For my new M5 I decided on the M Performance HAS. Previously I had KW HAS on my M cars. I chose M Performance this go round because of ease of purchase, install, dealer warranty, and being the M Performance brand. I am purchasing it with my car order and the dealer will install it when the car arrives. I like the idea that I will already have it installed when I pickup the car. Takes the hassle of ordering it and going to a tune shop to have it installed out of the picture. Plus any issues and it is covered by warranty. Going the safe and easy route this time. The only negative is it is more expensive doing it this way, but worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 02:02 AM   #3
TheGrinch
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Do you know if the M HAS has the same spring rates as factory? One thing that really appeals to me about the 21 is they softened the ride a bit, I don’t want to lose that.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 04:23 AM   #4
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Pretty sure the more compliant ride on the LCI cars comes from new dampers, so you would still gain at least that benefit.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:32 PM   #5
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasLife345M View Post
For my new M5 I decided on the M Performance HAS. Previously I had KW HAS on my M cars. I chose M Performance this go round because of ease of purchase, install, dealer warranty, and being the M Performance brand. I am purchasing it with my car order and the dealer will install it when the car arrives. I like the idea that I will already have it installed when I pickup the car. Takes the hassle of ordering it and going to a tune shop to have it installed out of the picture. Plus any issues and it is covered by warranty. Going the safe and easy route this time. The only negative is it is more expensive doing it this way, but worth it to me.
Are the M perf ones springs or coil overs? I found these from iND but I don't want to spend 2.5k for these w installation etc. I just want to lower an inch, to get rid of the wheel gap.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:33 PM   #6
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
These:

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
Are the M perf ones springs or coil overs? I found these from iND but I don't want to spend 2.5k for these w installation etc. I just want to lower an inch, to get rid of the wheel gap.
M perf are coilover springs that replace the existing fixed-height springs but use the same dampers as stock. So you retain the adjustable ride, but gain adjustability in height too. Presumably the spring rate is going to be different but the amount is not reported anywhere. The installation instructions for BMW don’t specify any reprogramming of the adjustable damping so I’m assuming the spring rates are within bandwidth limitations of the factory damping settings.
Appreciate 1
Padfan9792.50
      11-08-2020, 11:42 AM   #8
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That makes sense. If I special order my next M, I'll do that as the payment is amortized across payments as well.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #9
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Quote:
M perf are coilover springs that replace the existing fixed-height springs but use the same dampers as stock. So you retain the adjustable ride, but gain adjustability in height too. Presumably the spring rate is going to be different but the amount is not reported anywhere. The installation instructions for BMW don't specify any reprogramming of the adjustable damping so I'm assuming the spring rates are within bandwidth limitations of the factory damping settings.
So does that mean you lose the comfort, sport and sport plus modes?
Literally he said you retain the adjustable dampening. Comfort, sport, and sport plus still work.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #10
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Lol, it's been a rough week for everyone.
Appreciate 0