BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Dinan HAS kit for F90 base model

05-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #1
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Dinan HAS kit for F90 base model

After having used the KW v3 suspension in the 2013 F10 M5, and being very pleased with how it rode, I was anticipating using KW again for the F90 base model I’d purchased. But, for me KW priced their v4 for the F90 beyond what I wanted to pay. Although after driving the stock base model for a few months, I realized BMW had refined the handling of the F90. I don’t know if it’s the change to AWD or actual suspension changes, but other than being slightly soft, the car handles much better than the F10. So, after looking at both KW and Dinan HAS systems I went with Dinan, and it’s done just what I’d hoped for the car. It is more firm than the base F90 springs, more like the comp F90 I test drove briefly.

I don’t know if BMW is using the same supplier for the F90 shocks as they did for the F10, but the F90 settings between the three firmness options seem more definitive to me, and the damping action much better. The Dinan springs don’t over power the damping and the ride never becomes bouncy. Dinan does include 8 of what they call “suspension packers” to fine tune the clearance on their bump stops. Perhaps some of you are that in tune with the feel of the car to notice the change an 1/8” shim will make, I’m not.

The machining of the parts is excellent and the anodized finish is also first class. Adjustability is easily done and the locking bolt for the adjusting ring is very accessible. If you’re doing the install yourself, the instructions are clear and easy to follow.

When this picture was taken I wasn’t thinking of showing the drop, but the center of the front wheel to the fender is 14.5”, and there is another 1.25” of thread left to adjust the height lower if you wish, both front and rear. These tires are 1” less in diameter than stock, and the bottom of the Fall Line oil cooler guard is 4.25” from the ground, so this is as low as I wish to go.

I also installed the Dinan rear suspension link kit for long term durability, but at this stage can’t feel any difference in handling from that. The install is straight forward with pretty basic remove and replace steps according to BMW procedures.

Again, for longevity reasons, I’ll probably also eventually use the tension strut ball joint kit from Dinan for the front, but haven’t made that purchase yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #2
VeNoM__M5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
After having used the KW v3 suspension in the 2013 F10 M5, and being very pleased with how it rode, I was anticipating using KW again for the F90 base model I’d purchased. But, for me KW priced their v4 for the F90 beyond what I wanted to pay. Although after driving the stock base model for a few months, I realized BMW had refined the handling of the F90. I don’t know if it’s the change to AWD or actual suspension changes, but other than being slightly soft, the car handles much better than the F10. So, after looking at both KW and Dinan HAS systems I went with Dinan, and it’s done just what I’d hoped for the car. It is more firm than the base F90 springs, more like the comp F90 I test drove briefly.

I don’t know if BMW is using the same supplier for the F90 shocks as they did for the F10, but the F90 settings between the three firmness options seem more definitive to me, and the damping action much better. The Dinan springs don’t over power the damping and the ride never becomes bouncy. Dinan does include 8 of what they call “suspension packers” to fine tune the clearance on their bump stops. Perhaps some of you are that in tune with the feel of the car to notice the change an 1/8” shim will make, I’m not.

The machining of the parts is excellent and the anodized finish is also first class. Adjustability is easily done and the locking bolt for the adjusting ring is very accessible. If you’re doing the install yourself, the instructions are clear and easy to follow.

When this picture was taken I wasn’t thinking of showing the drop, but the center of the front wheel to the fender is 14.5”, and there is another 1.25” of thread left to adjust the height lower if you wish, both front and rear. These tires are 1” less in diameter than stock, and the bottom of the Fall Line oil cooler guard is 4.25” from the ground, so this is as low as I wish to go.

I also installed the Dinan rear suspension link kit for long term durability, but at this stage can’t feel any difference in handling from that. The install is straight forward with pretty basic remove and replace steps according to BMW procedures.

Again, for longevity reasons, I’ll probably also eventually use the tension strut ball joint kit from Dinan for the front, but haven’t made that purchase yet.
That red side grill is distracting me from looking at anything you did with your suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNoM__M5 View Post
That red side grill is distracting me from looking at anything you did with your suspension.
Great, I also like the contrast of the orange bits. They add some zip to the neutral gray of the car. But, even with the distraction of some color, I hope the posting is informative for those interested in a HAS system for their car.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 08:19 PM   #4
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Curious how that suspension will hold up after winter. My previous Dinan suspension rusted badly after just 2 Canadian winters, so I don't think I'll ever buy their suspension products again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 08:56 PM   #5
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
My previous Dinan suspension rusted badly after just 2 Canadian winters, so I don't think I'll ever buy their suspension products again.
Boy, that looks terrible! I hope they’ve improved the coating process for their springs. I’ll have to keep an eye on that next winter. Did the ride suffer, or just the look of it? This is my first experience with Dinan for any of their products.
Appreciate 0