BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Tire shop f'd up and now owe me a tire. What's the allowable tread discrepancy L/R?

12-30-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Tire shop f'd up and now owe me a tire. What's the allowable tread discrepancy L/R?

Had a screw in my right front tire and was losing air. Took it to tire shop and they said they could repair it no problem. These are the original P-zero's with 11k on them. Well, when trying to remove the tire from the rim, the little "shovel" arm thingy went right through my sidewall. They owned up to it and obviously said they owed me a new tire and put on a Yokohama temporarily as that's all they had in my size. The left front has about 6/32"'s tread left. Is there a BMW spec for the allowable tread discrepancy from left to right?

He said he'd also comp me a Mich Pilot 4s if I wanted. I need to replace the rears too and was just going to buy P-zeros for the rear. But now I'm thinking about just replacing all 4 with Michelins. Or I just put on three new P-zeros.

I was surprisingly calm as sh*t happens. This wasn't the usual tire shop I go to, but I have used them before and they've been fine. A local Discount Tire told me they had special "hands free" equipment to handle high-end rims. Do you'll look for anything special in a tire shop? Now that they might do all 4, I'm a little hesitant.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 04:46 AM   #2
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

You can't drive with different brand tires, let alone thread depth discrepancy.

I would replace all four of them with the Michelins, put them in a different tire shop
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post

I would replace all four of them with the Michelins, put them in a different tire shop
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post

Agreed. Pay for the other 3 and just get all new tires
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No, I would never have mis-matched branded tires. I was just wondering what other people do when they have to replace only one tire due to tire damage and the other one has been used somewhat. I'm sure there is a spec somewhere that describes that.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yep, just gonna put on 4 new Michelins. They are comping me one tire and there is a $70 rebate when you buy 4 Michelins. I figure that's a pretty good end result. And their sister store that has the better machine is going to do it. They are more used to higher-end vehicles.
Appreciate 0