BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #89
Orion141
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
Sorry about that. Mine made it to dealer on Oct 25 and the dealer was initially told he had to sit on it till the release date of Nov 11, though finally released it to me today!!

And, yeah, it will take them at least a day to get the transportation film off the car and prep it for release.
Glad you finally got it! Are you enjoying it?

I'm not even letting them take the plastic off the outside (I'm a little crazy about swirl marks and detailing the exterior haha).
Appreciate 1
bwcooper182.00
      11-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #90
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion141 View Post
Glad you finally got it! Are you enjoying it?
Thanks!! Had some meetings tonight so haven't gotten to drive it much other than the ride home. But performance so far exceeds my expectations!! And really like the iDrive system. Much better than other cars I've played with (Acura, Lexus, Jaguar).

Quote:
I'm not even letting them take the plastic off the outside (I'm a little crazy about swirl marks and detailing the exterior haha).
That reminds me of a roommate I once had who left a piece of plastic on the dust cover of his turntable (remember them??). So his dust cover wouldn't get dust on it!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #91
DaBurn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Congrats, apparently mine still hasn't made it to the dealer yet and they wont due my pick up tomorrow any more (even if it makes it tonight)............
Same thing happened to me. I was supposed to pick it up Saturday.

Got mine tonight. So far so awesome! Love the way it looks and the tech. Ride was great on the way home from the dealer, but it’s a short ride.

Everyone at the dealer was excited about the x3. Mine was their first 2018. A bunch of them took pics. They have one for the showroom but they aren’t letting anyone test drive or buy it. They aren’t expecting inventory for months.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 05:14 AM   #92
Orion141
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!! Had some meetings tonight so haven't gotten to drive it much other than the ride home. But performance so far exceeds my expectations!! And really like the iDrive system. Much better than other cars I've played with (Acura, Lexus, Jaguar).
Awesome, glad to hear positive things!

[/QUOTE] That reminds me of a roommate I once had who left a piece of plastic on the dust cover of his turntable (remember them??). So his dust cover wouldn't get dust on it!![/QUOTE]

Hahaha I haven't heard that one before . I will be taking the plastic off at the dealership and driving it home plastic free lol. I will then wash it, clay bar it and use a polymer sealant on it. Just heard (and experienced with my last 3 series, albeit at another dealer) too many stories regarding all the paint damage done by the dealers with their "detailing" .
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 05:16 AM   #93
Orion141
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurn View Post
Same thing happened to me. I was supposed to pick it up Saturday.

Got mine tonight. So far so awesome! Love the way it looks and the tech. Ride was great on the way home from the dealer, but it’s a short ride.

Everyone at the dealer was excited about the x3. Mine was their first 2018. A bunch of them took pics. They have one for the showroom but they aren’t letting anyone test drive or buy it. They aren’t expecting inventory for months.
Nice glad you like it! I know I'm just being impatient regarding having to wait another day or two haha.

Seems like people are scooping up a lot of dealers new inventory. Wonder if what you're describing will be the case at most dealerships (I'm imagining it might be).
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #94
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:

I will be taking the plastic off at the dealership and driving it home plastic free lol. I will then wash it, clay bar it and use a polymer sealant on it. Just heard (and experienced with my last 3 series, albeit at another dealer) too many stories regarding all the paint damage done by the dealers with their "detailing" .
My last new car was a December delivery (at Welt) and since I did not have a heated garage, I was not able to do more than wash it until spring.

So my question, in the old days we did not use anything abrasive on the paint for 90 days to allow it to properly cure. Is it safe to clay bar sooner? I know that paints and top coats have changed a lot. I am a bit of a top coat nut. I do not use pre-cat finishes on furniture for health reasons. I still use a hand rubbed shellac, alcohol, pumice and mineral oil treatment called French Polishing. That or my own bees wax - no modern chemistry moralize alchemy lol
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #95
Orion141
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
My last new car was a December delivery (at Welt) and since I did not have a heated garage, I was not able to do more than wash it until spring.

So my question, in the old days we did not use anything abrasive on the paint for 90 days to allow it to properly cure. Is it safe to clay bar sooner? I know that paints and top coats have changed a lot. I am a bit of a top coat nut. I do not use pre-cat finishes on furniture for health reasons. I still use a hand rubbed shellac, alcohol, pumice and mineral oil treatment called French Polishing. That or my own bees wax - no modern chemistry moralize alchemy lol
From all of my reading it seems as though the professional retailers will in fact even polish new cars prior to sealing them or putting down a ceramic coat. They (and many others on the detailing forums) routinely clay bar new cars.
Appreciate 1
Slalom508.50
      11-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #96
Orion141
Rep

Well... looks like I will be waiting a bit longer for my 30i. Car didnt leave VPC until today. SA is telling me its scheduled to arrive but is unsure if I will be able to pick it up until the following week as they have to wait for the certificate of origin which may not arrive for several days.... is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 04:11 PM   #97
DaBurn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Well... looks like I will be waiting a bit longer for my 30i. Car didnt leave VPC until today. SA is telling me its scheduled to arrive but is unsure if I will be able to pick it up until the following week as they have to wait for the certificate of origin which may not arrive for several days.... is this normal?
Seems different than my experience. I bought my car in NJ (close to you). BMW Genius told me it would arrive this past Saturday. On Saturday, the salesman didn't have confirmation of arrival and said even if it did come in later Saturday it would be impossible to get it to me that day. Their cars get delivered to a central area about 15 minutes away. On Monday, I called BMW Genius who confirmed the car had gotten to the dealer on Friday (may've been late). At 10:30am Monday, salesman got confirmation that the car had come in and was being prepped. I picked it up at 6pm.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #98
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:

And, yeah, it will take them at least a day to get the transportation film off the car and prep it for release.
That white plastic transportation film they put on mine left some type of marks/stains in the rear spoiler on the shadowline black part under the top body colored part of spoiler. Dealer detail guys couldn't remove it, so they have to order a new part for replacement.
Check that area thoroughly. It's only really noticeable in direct sunlight from behind.
Appreciate 1
Slalom508.50
      11-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #99
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
That white plastic transportation film they put on mine left some type of marks/stains in the rear spoiler on the shadowline black part under the top body colored part of spoiler. Dealer detail guys couldn't remove it, so they have to order a new part for replacement.
Check that area thoroughly. It's only really noticeable in direct sunlight from behind.
Thanks Bob.

I was in at my local dealer for some parts and saw that on two X3's in the showroom today. Mentioned it to the ordering manager. He called out the detailer. They took photos and will raise it with BMW - to change the process. At the same time they will be ordering the replacement part for the vehicles that they have.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #100
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
Thanks Bob.

I was in at my local dealer for some parts and saw that on two X3's in the showroom today. Mentioned it to the ordering manager. He called out the detailer. They took photos and will raise it with BMW - to change the process. At the same time they will be ordering the replacement part for the vehicles that they have.
Glad I'm not the only one with the problem. However, I bet many will take delivery and never notice it. But now that we brought it up, maybe BMW will correct it.

I just wonder how much disassembly they will have to do to change it. I bet the entire inside of liftgate has to be removed to access the spoiler mounting screws. Worried about scratches to the body colored paint. Not happy about that.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #101
Orion141
Rep

My car was delivered to the dealer early Thursday. Still not able to get it since they are "waiting on the certificate of origin". Still seems strange that I can't get the car yet. Nonetheless this is torture waiting for my car that is 10 miles down the street sitting in a parking lot... ahhhh

Last edited by Orion141; 11-11-2017 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 05:40 AM   #102
kube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d xDrive MSport

It Arrived!!!

Got a txt from my CA Friday morning that the car showed up and could we pick it up that afternoon... uh... YES!!! It's for my wife, and she forgot her night driving glasses, so I had to drive the new 30i home.... very impressed with the ride, power, and feel. Still playing around with all the goodies, but overall, very happy with the new X3 so far.

Will post some pictures mid-week....
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 07:23 AM   #103
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kube View Post
Got a txt from my CA Friday morning that the car showed up and could we pick it up that afternoon... uh... YES!!! It's for my wife, and she forgot her night driving glasses, so I had to drive the new 30i home.... very impressed with the ride, power, and feel. Still playing around with all the goodies, but overall, very happy with the new X3 so far.

Congrats!

That was mean of you to hide her glasses before you went to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #104
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kube View Post

Congrats. Looking forward to your pics
Appreciate 0