BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    1st time to drag strip with the f90 comp

08-09-2021, 09:20 AM   #23
F90bmwmastertech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 F90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryInch View Post
Hmm I don’t get why some are thinking removing a critical engine part would not affect warranty? You’re increasing the power of the engine, changing the fueling and tune of the car by removing the downpipes as the dme tries to auto tune to compensate for the increased flow. More power, more air and fuel.

It’s not like you simply changed the muffler… what do you have against the jb4?

Not trying to rain on your parade, I just don’t see the logic?
I work for BMW as a master tech…been 16 years meow. Having a catalyst efficiency fault is not comparable to having your car flagged in our system for suspicion of engine tuning, which even a JB4 can do as the DME can data log. The DME constantly has to adapt to the various weather, altitude, etc conditions and reducing back flow is a bit different than intentionally altering the programming of the DME or fooling them i.e, JB4 to read numbers that are out of nominal range.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 01:09 PM   #24
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90bmwmastertech View Post
I work for BMW as a master tech…been 16 years meow. Having a catalyst efficiency fault is not comparable to having your car flagged in our system for suspicion of engine tuning, which even a JB4 can do as the DME can data log. The DME constantly has to adapt to the various weather, altitude, etc conditions and reducing back flow is a bit different than intentionally altering the programming of the DME or fooling them i.e, JB4 to read numbers that are out of nominal range.
This cat's serious!
Appreciate 1
TAmes104.00
      08-09-2021, 01:11 PM   #25
brad65ford
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3

Quote:
Can you share with us what you'd suggest for more power? Not sure if bolt ons are work it on this car what what your sharing.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 09:08 PM   #26
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Quote:

I see what you’re saying… I thought they would also flag a car with the cats removed and down pipes added, is this not the case?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 09:30 AM   #27
F90bmwmastertech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 F90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryInch View Post
I see what you’re saying… I thought they would also flag a car with the cats removed and down pipes added, is this not the case?
Nope. The flagging is not necessarily done by a technician or foreman. It’s whenever we connect the car and scan it for diagnosis the data that’s sent behind the scenes to BMW. Information that we as techs and foreman don’t even have access to like any data logging or over rev info and that’s when a hard fault is stored for suspicion of engine tuning.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 10:59 PM   #28
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Will you tune when the warranty has expired?
Appreciate 0