BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Amplifier Wiring

04-30-2023, 12:19 PM   #1
iwanttopost
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Amplifier Wiring

Hi all

a quick question...

Firstly I know how to wire an aftermarket amplifier after doing in all of my previous cars, but never a BMW.

So I know, when charging your BMW, you shouldnt connect the charger directly to the battery, as this can bypass the BMS, so we connect the charger to the terminals in the engine bay.

How about adding an aftermarket amp? Are we allowed to connect this directly to the battery or could it cause weird issues?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 08:18 PM   #2
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanttopost View Post

How about adding an aftermarket amp? Are we allowed to connect this directly to the battery or could it cause weird issues?
I added (and others) have wired it directly to the battery. I have a massive fuse from the battery positive connector in case their is a wiring short.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 05:14 AM   #3
Syanide
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
I added (and others) have wired it directly to the battery. I have a massive fuse from the battery positive connector in case their is a wiring short.
Same situation with me. Wired directly to the battery with an appropriately large fuse on the positive wire to the amp. Absolutely zero issues so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 01:12 PM   #4
iwanttopost
Enlisted Member
Rep

Cheers both. Installed today and wired directly to battery

Just out of interest, what fuse are you using for the remote turn on? I chose fuse 214 but it's one of those that takes approx 10 mins to turn off after locking the car.
Are there any that turn off the same times as the head unit or as soon as you lock the car? I couldn't find any when probing with my mulimeter
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 04:29 PM   #5
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Just out of interest, what fuse are you using for the remote turn on? I chose fuse 214 but it's one of those that takes approx 10 mins to turn off after locking the car.
Are there any that turn off the same times as the head unit or as soon as you lock the car? I couldn't find any when probing with my mulimeter
In my case I'm using an Audio Control LC4.800. It takes the speaker level inputs and uses that to trigger turn on/off. No power wire needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 04:37 PM   #6
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

Here are some photos of where of the connection to the positive terminal and the fuse and wiring to the amp. As my amp was very close to the battery I could use fairly low gauge wiring.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-01-2023, 05:37 PM   #7
Syanide
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I’m using fuse 273. Conveniently located and power comes on and stays on with the car lighting (door handles, trunk open, etc)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 05:37 PM   #8
iwanttopost
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
Here are some photos of where of the connection to the positive terminal and the fuse and wiring to the amp. As my amp was very close to the battery I could use fairly low gauge wiring.
Thank you! Pretty clean install there! Ive done something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syanide View Post
I’m using fuse 273. Conveniently located and power comes on and stays on with the car lighting (door handles, trunk open, etc)
Does 273 stay on for ~10 mins if you do anything to the car? i.e. open a door / boot, kick a wheel etc?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 05:52 PM   #9
Syanide
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Does 273 stay on for ~10 mins if you do anything to the car? i.e. open a door / boot, kick a wheel etc?
Yes, it most certainly does.
Appreciate 1