F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tyre Question
GetBMWParts

08-15-2014, 04:29 AM   #1
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

Tyre Question

Hi,

I need a replacement tyre for the front as it looks like i have a slow puncture, as i have pumped it up several times and it keeps going low. More worryingly is that the tyre monitor on the car has not told me there is an issue.

anyway couple of questions should i replace both front tyres? (the car has done approx 12K) or would i getaway with just the one?

Second question as my tyres are Bridgestone 225/40R19 89Y should i stick with the same brand?

also the Bridgestone 225/40R19 89Y are £224.50 they do some 225/40YR19 93Y which are £183.50 as the load rating is greater can i use this or not and what would the effect be and why are they a lot cheaper?

i can get the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 225/40YR19 89Y - £238.50

Thanks for your help

Previous:
E92 320d, E92 LCI 330d
F30 330d, F32 440i
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 04:48 AM   #2
RalphyBMW
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xDrive MSport

Stick with the OE tyre, or switch to an alternate approved tyre.

Only switch to non-run flats if you are doing all four; don't mix.

If you are happy with Bridgestone then assuming you have say 4-5mm remaining you should be fine to just replace the one.
      08-15-2014, 04:53 AM   #3
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Should you replace both? Hmmm.....you should get perhaps 40k miles out of your fronts, so you are throwing away a very good tyre if you do.

What about seeing if the puncture can be repaired?

Regarding the TPMS, I have found it to be very good, but you do need to calibrate it regularly.....have you been doing this?

Tyre prices are supply and demand....popular sizes/load ratings cheaper than others, no problem with going up in load rating.

Bridgestone are hard wearing, but not the best RF tyre out there, I rate the Pirelli RF way above Bridgestone.

Michelin PS2 in front size? Where please? RF or NRF?

EDIT: I don't agree with having to switch all 4 to NRF, I swapped rears only, will swap fronts when time comes.....no issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 05:00 AM   #4
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F30 MSport

This is timely! (see my post about hitting a lump of concrete...)

First off - I've always said runflats aren't about cost / handling / convenience blah blah they're about giving you a better chance if you hit a lump of concrete at 99mph! Having done just that now I categorically state I'd never swap them for non-RFT, end of.

I had to change my Bridgestone s001 225/40R19 89Y (same as yours) which had split in the sidewall - guy said he's never seen that on a runflat.

This was National Tyre services, couriered it in urgently same morning so I paid £256 all in - before the barter it was £295!

The off-side has 6mm (this is after 18/19,000ish miles) and I'm happy the rolling radius is slightly different but not ideal I s'pose. Handling difference? Don't be silly, it's unnoticeable. If you're at 12,000 miles, I'd imagine you can do just the faulty one.

Also my tyre monitor was oblivious to the whole incident - triffic!

Oh and if you're losing air, if it has a puncture in the middle section it can be repaired, my rear nearside had a £15 repair at about 10,000 miles and is still fine.

Check it's not a distorted wheel rim (potholes cause this) - that'd let air out gradually.
      08-15-2014, 05:04 AM   #5
RalphyBMW
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xDrive MSport

I'm sure that someone switched to NRF's in stages and had issues with the stability systems. I'm sure that BMW strongly recommend against it.
      08-15-2014, 05:13 AM   #6
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyBMW View Post
I'm sure that someone switched to NRF's in stages and had issues with the stability systems. I'm sure that BMW strongly recommend against it.
That would have nothing to do with RF/NRF. More likely a different rolling radius due to different tyre size, or some other rolling radius issue. It has been reported to happen on cars switching over to winter wheels too.

BMW strongly recommend you stay with RF, so can't see why they would have a softer approach to mixing.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 05:16 AM   #7
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTT View Post

First off - I've always said runflats aren't about cost / handling / convenience blah blah they're about giving you a better chance if you hit a lump of concrete at 99mph! Having done just that now I categorically state I'd never swap them for non-RFT, end of.

I had to change my Bridgestone s001 225/40R19 89Y (same as yours) which had split in the sidewall - guy said he's never seen that on a runflat.

This was National Tyre services, couriered it in urgently same morning so I paid £256 all in - before the barter it was £295!

The off-side has 6mm (this is after 18/19,000ish miles) and I'm happy the rolling radius is slightly different but not ideal I s'pose. Handling difference? Don't be silly, it's unnoticeable. If you're at 12,000 miles, I'd imagine you can do just the faulty one.

Oh and if you're losing air, if it has a puncture in the middle section it can be repaired, my rear nearside had a £15 repair at about 10,000 miles and is still fine.

Check it's not a distorted wheel rim (potholes cause this) - that'd let air out gradually.
Curious to understand what you imagine would have been different in your situation if you were on NRF?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 05:36 AM   #8
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN
Quote:

This was National Tyre services, couriered it in urgently same morning so I paid 256 all in - before the barter it was 295!

Oh and if you're losing air, if it has a puncture in the middle section it can be repaired, my rear nearside had a 15 repair at about 10,000 miles and is still fine.

Curious to understand what you imagine would have been different in your situation if you were on NRF?
Agreed, mate of mine had 2 blowouts with RFTs on his E91 335d. The second was apparently verging on life threatening - when they go, they GO! Based on this experience I think a blowout is just as likely (and rare) on any tyre, he was unlucky to have two.
      08-15-2014, 05:41 AM   #9
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F30 MSport

I imagine, and this is conjecture, that a non-RFT would have not maintained it's shape thus permitting me to get the car safely across 4 lanes and decelerate to a stop with just a bit of slewing about.

I'm bound to be wrong about this (I usually am) but a non-RFT in my mind may have deflated suddenly, ripped into pieces and caused unthinkable consequences.

Drama queen, yeah probably, but given the choice it's a no brainer. Happy to hear contrary views though.
      08-15-2014, 06:05 AM   #10
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I imagine, and this is conjecture, that a non-RFT would have not maintained it's shape thus permitting me to get the car safely across 4 lanes and decelerate to a stop with just a bit of slewing about.

I'm bound to be wrong about this (I usually am) but a non-RFT in my mind may have deflated suddenly, ripped into pieces and caused unthinkable consequences.

Drama queen, yeah probably, but given the choice it's a no brainer. Happy to hear contrary views though.
I guess the chances of a trouble free 'escape' are better on RF's.

I personally had a sudden puncture at high speed with NRF's. If it weren't for the tyre warning and an 'odd' flapping sound, I wouldn't have known much about it. I was able to pull over and stop very safely. This was a rear tyre though, so might be less 'critical'??? It was completely flat when I stopped, and the side walls had significant rubber wear on them. I can imagine if I were to drive at speed another few hundred meters, it would have shredded completely.

I put it down to modern high performance tyres having a reasonably stiff sidewall these days anyway, but accept a RF would likely have a larger window of safety in such a situation.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #11
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTT

I'm not convinced but I also think you hit the nail on the head - it's about what you're comfortable and confident with. I had similar thoughts but went the other way. Stick to your guns.
      08-16-2014, 12:56 AM   #12
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

The same argument was used to rubbish cross plies when radial tyres came out. "Oooo crossies will go BLAM all over the motorway and kill you, radials are much safer". Now this is being said about radials. If runflats are so bloody good why don't BMW fit them to the M3/M5/M6? We've seen RFTs with a hole in the sidewall you could put your fist through (mine anyway, I have the hands of a girl ) and the driver didn't even know there was a puncture!

We recommend non-RFTs for all cars. They give a much better ride, handle better, transmit less shock to the wheel and suspension components (less chance of cracking a wheel) and cost less.

/rant
Appreciate 0