BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    All season tire recommendation

10-12-2023, 09:40 PM   #1
Lee1224
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 comp

All season tire recommendation

Car was in for brake flush and dealer told me that i will need new tires pretty soon. Current tires are Michelin Pilot Sport with about 10k miles on them. I would like to replace them with a all season tire rather than summer tires. I do drive the car in the winter and we do get snow. I do have other vehicles to drive but the M5 is not a garage queen in the winter. I realize that I will give up some of the performance with an all season tire and I am fine with that.
Anyone running all season on stock 20" rims? If so, what brand of tires and your opinion on them . Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 09:45 PM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

PS AS4. I have them on stock rims and ran them in winter in New England last year. I use PS4 for summer and late spring and early fall.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-13-2023, 07:29 AM   #3
M5KEITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

I live in Northeast as well. I tried Michelin AS4 as my summers were toast.

I hated how these tires felt on the M5. I drove car for 3,000 miles and had Michelin swap to there summer tires. It made M5 pedestrian like.

These tires impact steering feel make it numb at slow speeds and high speed braking is down right scary. The good tires hook but that is about it.

If u have another car and you can certainly drive with summer tires after roads have been cleared and treated. This is what I am doing rather than having two sets of wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 08:01 AM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I thought the PS AS4 were fine and ran them as fast as 150 mph no problem. I did not track them but handling was fine for all my uses. Way better than the PA snows that I have on a 3rd set of rims for the F90. The all seasons are louder than the PS4 and I do prefer the PS4, but they won’t get me anywhere in the winter. Sure, I could buy another car to drive in the winter, but the only ones that might be entertaining enough are a Cayenne Turbo or X5M.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 10-13-2023 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2023, 02:01 PM   #5
smbsocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 M5, '59 C1, '23 X6

The OEM summer Pirelli tires that were on the M5 were terrible in the cold. I wound up off the road one time in the winter and switched to the PS AS4 tires full time.

I am not doing any sort of tracking with the M5, it is a daily driver, but the AS4s have been great for me. They are more quiet than the Pirelli and the ride is not as harsh.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2023, 06:12 PM   #6
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1224 View Post
Car was in for brake flush and dealer told me that i will need new tires pretty soon. Current tires are Michelin Pilot Sport with about 10k miles on them. I would like to replace them with a all season tire rather than summer tires. I do drive the car in the winter and we do get snow. I do have other vehicles to drive but the M5 is not a garage queen in the winter. I realize that I will give up some of the performance with an all season tire and I am fine with that.
Anyone running all season on stock 20" rims? If so, what brand of tires and your opinion on them . Thanks in advance.
New Mexico is not the harshest winter climate, even with the occasional snow. A/S may be fine for milder winters but they really suck a lot of fun out of the car. If you’re thinking about going to these just for the winter and back to dedicated summers, I’d think you’d be fine. A/S will likely be disappointing for all year round use if that’s what you’re thinking of doing.
      10-13-2023, 06:15 PM   #7
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal View Post
The OEM summer Pirelli tires that were on the M5 were terrible in the cold. I wound up off the road one time in the winter and switched to the PS AS4 tires full time.

I am not doing any sort of tracking with the M5, it is a daily driver, but the AS4s have been great for me. They are more quiet than the Pirelli and the ride is not as harsh.
The P Zeros essentially turn into hockey pucks when ambient temperatures drop to the low to mid 40s range. Colder climates definitely need to switch to (IMO) dedicated winters when the temperatures drop, or, at the very least, A/S.
      10-13-2023, 07:19 PM   #8
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
The P Zeros essentially turn into hockey pucks when ambient temperatures drop to the low to mid 40s range. Colder climates definitely need to switch to (IMO) dedicated winters when the temperatures drop, or, at the very least, A/S.
This 100%. It’s really when the temps change and the rubber compound gives off a different feel do you then realize why most do the two set dance.

I had once tried a set of Michelin A/S as it was decent enough to get me through winter but when I decided to get new wheels and try out the Alpine 5 I then understood the rationale between having dedicated sets. It was confidence inspiring to be in the north east with a performance vehicle.

It was a Jack of all trades master of none situation.

Tires and brakes are the two things on a vehicle I don’t skimp out on as those are your connection points to the road and how effective you move across it in a controllable manner.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2023, 09:57 PM   #9
Lee1224
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 comp

Quote:
New Mexico is not the harshest winter climate, even with the occasional snow. A/S may be fine for milder winters but they really suck a lot of fun out of the car. If you’re thinking about going to these just for the winter and back to dedicated summers, I’d think you’d be fine. A/S will likely be disappointing for all year round use if that’s what you’re thinking of doing.
i am in Northern NM and temp drops to 0-30s degree during the winter month mainly from Dec to March. I have driven my 2018 M5 in 4-6 inches of snow with Yokohoma A/S tires, they did fine. The 2021 M5 have seen snow, maybe 3 or 5 times during the last 2 years. Drove from work to home, about 2 miles on stock Michelin tires, it made it home. The Michelin are awesome in warm weather but really bad if drops below 40 degrees.

I just came back from Vegas last month, it was an awesome road car with the Michelin. May have to drive other vehicles during snow and get some new summer tires.

thanks all for sharing
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2023, 11:28 PM   #10
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1224 View Post
i am in Northern NM and temp drops to 0-30s degree during the winter month mainly from Dec to March. I have driven my 2018 M5 in 4-6 inches of snow with Yokohoma A/S tires, they did fine. The 2021 M5 have seen snow, maybe 3 or 5 times during the last 2 years. Drove from work to home, about 2 miles on stock Michelin tires, it made it home. The Michelin are awesome in warm weather but really bad if drops below 40 degrees.

I just came back from Vegas last month, it was an awesome road car with the Michelin. May have to drive other vehicles during snow and get some new summer tires.

thanks all for sharing
I didn’t realize you got temps that cold. A/S will probably do fine even in those temperatures — but you lose some dynamics, power, and grip compared to a dedicated winter set. Perhaps not an issue for your use case.

While I’m extremely glad you made it home, any OE summer tire, in either Michelin or Pirelli guise, is not going to be safe in temps that cold. I have had cars with PS4Ss that I did not winterize because they were in warmer climates. I unexpectedly needed to bring them to a true winter climate state. It was a bad idea.

Even if you don’t get much snow, but do get cold temps, summer tire compounds will hockey puck at the 0 to 30 you mentioned. I think it’s a common misconception that people think they don’t need winter tires (or A/S at least) if they get sustained cold winter temperatures. I’m not saying that’s the case with you, but it’s something I hear a lot.
      10-13-2023, 11:34 PM   #11
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectluck View Post
This 100%. It’s really when the temps change and the rubber compound gives off a different feel do you then realize why most do the two set dance.

I had once tried a set of Michelin A/S as it was decent enough to get me through winter but when I decided to get new wheels and try out the Alpine 5 I then understood the rationale between having dedicated sets. It was confidence inspiring to be in the north east with a performance vehicle.

It was a Jack of all trades master of none situation.

Tires and brakes are the two things on a vehicle I don’t skimp out on as those are your connection points to the road and how effective you move across it in a controllable manner.
“It was a Jack of all trades master of none situation.”

Very well said. This is the exact problem of the A/S. “All” is even in its name.

The compounds in summer tires change drastically when temps drop and are obviously not designed for them.

A dedicated winter tire like the Alpins will, as you said, make you realize that very quickly. And if you want to squeeze (almost) all of the performance the M5 gives with summer tires in the summer, dedicated winter sets are the way to go. I personally want to enjoy the full thrill of my car 12 months a year, even in cold temps without snow, and that is really only doable with two dedicated sets.
      10-14-2023, 10:09 AM   #12
pmsteinm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
All seasons are the only fall-winter solution for places like where I am in NC. That time of year in a given week a couple days could be around 30, a few around 30 in the morning and 65 in the afternoon, and then a few days in the high 50s to low 70s. So you can't do summer, and winters would wear out too fast and be noisy. For the last 14 years I've done Pilot Sport A/S, A/S+, A/S3, and now A/S4.

It is always a sad day in Oct/Nov and a happy day in April/May (see, NC isn't even consistent with that).

I did have a wild idea of keeping the 09V with all seasons on in the winter, leave summer on the M5. So some days I could do the V in the morning and M5 in the afternoon. But I quickly decided I'd rather drive the M5 all the time anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 11:10 AM   #13
logicators
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

I just went through the bi-annual swap (OEM Pirellis to PS4-AS). You certainly compromise on driving dynamics (car gets a bit tamed) but the road grip actually improves slightly, even in fall weather. I do not see any issues at higher speeds, or with braking at all. It’s a Y-rated tire, up to 186 MPH. I originally wanted winter tires but they were not available anywhere when I bought my car last year November.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 02:20 PM   #14
J_PNW
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 40i ‘21

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post
I just went through the bi-annual swap (OEM Pirellis to PS4-AS). You certainly compromise on driving dynamics (car gets a bit tamed) but the road grip actually improves slightly, even in fall weather. I do not see any issues at higher speeds, or with braking at all. It’s a Y-rated tire, up to 186 MPH. I originally wanted winter tires but they were not available anywhere when I bought my car last year November.
I’m in Seattle, just switched from the OEM Pirellis to the Michelins P4 AS.
Couldn’t be happier, in the current mid 60s temperature they are a massive improvement to the Pirellis.
Quieter, more compliant, and in current temperature - way grippier.

Too each their own - great to see that some folks are happy with the Pirellis - I’ve been massively disappointed with them: Loud, stiff in almost all conditions, and never delivered the grip that they’re meant to.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2023, 02:35 PM   #15
logicators
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_PNW View Post
I’m in Seattle, just switched from the OEM Pirellis to the Michelins P4 AS.
Couldn’t be happier, in the current mid 60s temperature they are a massive improvement to the Pirellis.
Quieter, more compliant, and in current temperature - way grippier.

Too each their own - great to see that some folks are happy with the Pirellis - I’ve been massively disappointed with them: Loud, stiff in almost all conditions, and never delivered the grip that they’re meant to.
Glad to hear that you liked PS4-AS. Note that Pirellis have a much higher warm up time than PS4-AS. If you push them after cold start, they will likely spin. Drive for about 10 mins before pushing hard, they perform much better. Loudness and stuffiness is there though, but stifiness contributes to better handling.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 04:17 PM   #16
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX F90 M5

I had BFG G-force comp-2 A/S put on this past weekend. Just went out for some spirited driving and they handled it fine. There is a slight bit of road noise with the windows down, not drone...but just there. Windows up cant hear it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 09:23 PM   #17
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
“It was a Jack of all trades master of none situation.”

Very well said. This is the exact problem of the A/S. “All” is even in its name.

The compounds in summer tires change drastically when temps drop and are obviously not designed for them.

A dedicated winter tire like the Alpins will, as you said, make you realize that very quickly. And if you want to squeeze (almost) all of the performance the M5 gives with summer tires in the summer, dedicated winter sets are the way to go. I personally want to enjoy the full thrill of my car 12 months a year, even in cold temps without snow, and that is really only doable with two dedicated sets.
The issue for me is last year I put on winter tires on the tesla and ended up chewing through them in 5k miles because the temps kept shooting up to fking 70s and even 80s in the middle of the winter then drop down to 30s again and just kept going up and down like crazy probably would've been better off with as tires honestly
Appreciate 2
      10-16-2023, 11:13 PM   #18
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
The issue for me is last year I put on winter tires on the tesla and ended up chewing through them in 5k miles because the temps kept shooting up to fking 70s and even 80s in the middle of the winter then drop down to 30s again and just kept going up and down like crazy probably would've been better off with as tires honestly
This is the tough choice that someone in an area with an erratic weather pattern, or where it gets cold then warm, cold then warm cyclically (like the desert as an example) as it comes to winter tires/dedicated seasonal sets. For some people, the A/S may be a better option, but boy do they suck the fun right out of this car IMO.

We also had some unseasonably warm winter days repeatedly last year. My tires were of course getting chewed on those days, but I knew at least that on the cold days, I’d be able to drive the car safely and enjoy more performance with the dedicated UHP winters than with A/S.
      10-16-2023, 11:17 PM   #19
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
This is the tough choice that someone in an area with an erratic weather pattern, or where it gets cold then warm, cold then warm cyclically (like the desert as an example) as it comes to winter tires/dedicated seasonal sets. For some people, the A/S may be a better option, but boy do they suck the fun right out of this car IMO.

We also had some unseasonably warm winter days repeatedly last year. My tires were of course getting chewed on those days, but I knew at least that on the cold days, I’d be able to drive the car safely and enjoy more performance with the dedicated UHP winters than with A/S.
My issue was that halfway through the season I was at my wear bars and when I actually went to a snowy area I was sliding all over the place and I didn't even realize my tires had been chewed threw (3500 miles on them at the time) and just assumed those tires were really bad winter tires (pirelli sotozero).
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2023, 11:37 PM   #20
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
My issue was that halfway through the season I was at my wear bars and when I actually went to a snowy area I was sliding all over the place and I didn't even realize my tires had been chewed threw (3500 miles on them at the time) and just assumed those tires were really bad winter tires (pirelli sotozero).
That’s definitely a recipe for disaster. At least now you know to be on the lookout for that when you have a heatwave(s).

I actually use SottoZero III and they are the best winter tire I’ve ever had. Way better than the P Zero winters I had on my previous M5. They are UHP even thought they are 1 speed rating and 1 load rating below the summer OE tires, but more than enough for winter use. They’re extremely quiet as well. Way quieter than the Alpins.