BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Classifieds Members Classifieds    BMW Roof Rack (Silver)

02-13-2024, 03:40 PM   #1
johnny5ive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

BMW Roof Rack (Silver)

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
Sold

Or Best Offer

Item Interest
Bought the Thule ones, no longer need these. Don't want to ship now but would debate it eventually.

Appreciate 1
      02-13-2024, 04:18 PM   #2
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny5ive View Post
Bought the Thule ones, no longer need these. Don't want to ship now but would debate it eventually.

As someone who cross shopped both and ended up going the OEM route, could I ask why you went with Thule instead?
      02-13-2024, 05:27 PM   #3
johnny5ive
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
As someone who cross shopped both and ended up going the OEM route, could I ask why you went with Thule instead?
Two reasons.

One, I picked these up when I bought the car with the intention of powder coating them black (my M5 is BSM) . Unfortunately, you cannot ever get the rails off of the feet so I can't powdercoat them.

Two, the Thule ones sit a little lower than the OEM ones and I think look a bit better.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 03:20 PM   #4
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Two reasons.

One, I picked these up when I bought the car with the intention of powder coating them black (my M5 is BSM) . Unfortunately, you cannot ever get the rails off of the feet so I can't powdercoat them.

Two, the Thule ones sit a little lower than the OEM ones and I think look a bit better.
I’m really glad I asked you this question. I also have BSM and bought these for a road trip last year that required a Thule XT Force large size cargo box.

My intention when purchasing them was to powder coat them black as well. Reached out to a few places and got a few quotes. Explained exactly what I was trying to do, and not one of the powder coaters I reached out to told me what you’re stating about being unable to powder coat them for that reason. I just assumed they would tape off the plastic/housing components. I never got around to doing the powder coating, but have been intending to do it this spring. Perhaps I’ll get away with some gloss black Krylon.

Sorry for the thread jack, but thank you so much for the edification!

Please accept this free bump.
      02-15-2024, 07:39 AM   #5
johnny5ive
Private First Class
Rep

My guy specifically said they have to be dismantled so it's just the metal. I'm assuming there's all sorts of issues with quality if you can't wholly powdercoat the part or if you powder coat some other random plastic and it eats away at it or something.

The problem with me buying a black car is now I want everything else on it to be black too
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2024, 05:26 PM   #6
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My guy specifically said they have to be dismantled so it's just the metal. I'm assuming there's all sorts of issues with quality if you can't wholly powdercoat the part or if you powder coat some other random plastic and it eats away at it or something.

The problem with me buying a black car is now I want everything else on it to be black too
Thanks again!

And same here.
      02-17-2024, 09:04 AM   #7
E Durtysix
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/4

Still available?
Appreciate 0