BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    BMW M5 (F90) August 21 reveal date announced with uncovered teaser clip!

Closed Thread

08-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #23
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Excited
      08-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #24
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
Floating or fixed rear caliper???? Why can't BMW/Audi/Mercedes use dual calipers design like tesla/lambo/alfa, very small caliper for parking brake and fixed caliper for rear normal brake??? God dammit!
Actually Tesla stopped using dual calipers on the Model X since late last year. Not sure about Model S.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #25
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Auto trannies have gone very far in technology since couple years ago.
BMW M would never put a standard slow/laggy auto trans in their flagship M model. I am pretty sure that once you all drive the car you will be positively surprised. I know DCT has a cool factor, but BMW didn't do the switch for no reason. We've all seen couple videos of pro drivers driving these cars and there was no complaints in the trans dept. The car is lighter, faster, the front end looks awesome and aggressive and it has a really cool differential system with switchable drives.
No matter what they say or what people "feel", the fact will always remain that ZF8's will be slower than DCT's. Then if we compare to Porsche PDK's, I'm sure even this newly tuned ZF8 in the F90 M5 will seem like a sloth in shifting times.

And so you are also saying that the new side view mirror design for the M5 looking very similar to the F80 M3's side view design doesn't bother you either? Haha! This is a bit ridiculous to me. Can't they make anything bespoke anymore?! Give the side view mirrors on the M5 their own look, just as they have always had dammit!

Appreciate 3
Dackelone10511.00
6ixSpd5996.50
      08-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #26
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Quote:
BMW M would never put a standard slow/laggy auto trans in their flagship M model. I am pretty sure that once you all drive the car you will be positively surprised. I know DCT has a cool factor, but BMW didn't do the switch for no reason. We've all seen couple videos of pro drivers driving these cars and there was no complaints in the trans dept. The car is lighter, faster, the front end looks awesome and aggressive and it has a really cool differential system with switchable drives.
No matter what they say or what people "feel", the fact will always remain that ZF8's will be slower than DCT's. Then if we compare to Porsche PDK's, I'm sure even this newly tuned ZF8 in the F90 M5 will seem like a sloth in shifting times.

And so you are also saying that the new side view mirror design for the M5 looking very similar to the F80 M3's side view design doesn't bother you either? Haha! This is a bit ridiculous to me. Can't they make anything bespoke anymore?! Give the side view mirrors on the M5 their own look, just as they have always had dammit!
I remember when we hoped (dreamed) all this cost cutting and platform sharing meant more money for M cars R&D. Boy was that wrong.
Appreciate 6
JTO245246.50
Db750278.00
Dackelone10511.00
jzmundy991.00
6ixSpd5996.50
dmboone254970.50
      08-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #27
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Not sure if this is smart marketing or not. Currently the US is in an eclipse frenzy.

Either way I'm sure they will try to leverage the eclipse into the reveal.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #28
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

I can't wait!!!
2002 M5 Carbon Black (sold) should have never sold her
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #29
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:

Haven't thought about the mirrors yet. I did remember seeing a lot of whiners on the board when the F10 came out complaining about the mirrors and no CF roof. Now they get them and others don't like it. We already know you can't satisfy 100% of the population so let's be happy with what they are giving us. Ultimately, the car will stomp all over Audi and Benz.
If that transmission has slower shifting times than DCT then I owe you a beer, but if it's faster you are buying me one. Deal?
Here is a good reference for the trans:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

Keep in mind there are several different versions of it and BMW improved a lot from the last version.
      08-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #30
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Quote:

Agreed. I am cautiously optimistic about the G90 m5, but the lack of DCT is a turn off. So much so that I am contemplating picking up an F80 m3 next year to replace my m4 that goes off lease soon. I am just unsure if I am comfortable with the F80 being big enough for travel and road trips (the x6 is a eventually going away too).
      08-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #31
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I remember when we hoped (dreamed) all this cost cutting and platform sharing meant more money for M cars R&D. Boy was that wrong.
Yeah. The M division is becoming an afterthought with BMW and all they care about is competing with Tesla. However, that will never happen until they can make good looking electric cars with good range that the masses can afford. Until then, Tesla will grab the lions share of this market.
      08-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #32
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Haven't thought about the mirrors yet. I did remember seeing a lot of whiners on the board when the F10 came out complaining about the mirrors and no CF roof. Now they get them and others don't like it. We already know you can't satisfy 100% of the population so let's be happy with what they are giving us. Ultimately, the car will stomp all over Audi and Benz.
If that transmission has slower shifting times than DCT then I owe you a beer, but if it's faster you are buying me one. Deal?
Here is a good reference for the trans:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

Keep in mind there are several different versions of it and BMW improved a lot from the last version.
It's a deal brother.

I'm not saying that the new ZF8 in the F90 M5 is going to be slow, quite the contrary. But I am simply stating that it will not be as fast as the DCT. Even in the Auto in the Vette Z06 is lightning fast, but the transmission in the CTS-V is terrible. The same can be compared to the MDCT and the PDK. The PDK in the 911GT3RS and the 918 Spyder are world class transmissions, so insanely fast and smooth, you can't even believe it. The MDCT is almost an entirely different transmission to the PDK, were they not both Dual Clutch.

The ZF8 doesn't bother me that much with the new M5, I agree with M Division in that ZF8 will be able to hold the torque better, it's a lot of the other little stuff that kills it for me. Side view mirrors look too similar to F80 M3's, same exhaust note from F10 M5 because its the same engine setup, floating iDrive screen design, headlights touching the front grille, door panels not made out of carbon fiber, still no word if the hood is going to be carbon fiber and the same with the crankshaft, and generally no innovative technologies besides the new ///M xDrive system. Where's my Active Aerodynamics, where's my Electric Turbos, where's my KERS system, where's my camless engine design, where's my laser headlights, where's any kind of new innovative technology beside a trick AWD system? The F10 M5 was innovative in that they used 2 turbos inside of the V on a V8 engine, no-one practically produced that before, now Audi and Mercedes are doing the same thing. Then Mercedes beats the new F90 M5 to market with trick AWD system of their own in the new E63S which is on sale today. The F90 will be the fastest M5 ever, but only because they are just now introducing a setup which Nissan figured out 10 years ago, by combing AWD with Twin Turbo engine. At least Mercedes is trying out new stuff by developing the innovative M256 engine and going to performance based hybrid electric setups for near future AMG models, like the new upcoming CLS53 AMG.

Ok that should be enough dissenting for the moment

But seriously, those side view mirrors on the M5, seriously M Division??! You can't come up with any OTHER design????

Appreciate 1
6ixSpd5996.50
      08-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #33
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by outie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
Floating or fixed rear caliper???? Why can't BMW/Audi/Mercedes use dual calipers design like tesla/lambo/alfa, very small caliper for parking brake and fixed caliper for rear normal brake??? God dammit!
Actually Tesla stopped using dual calipers on the Model X since late last year. Not sure about Model S.
Still is
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 03:10 PM   #34
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Lovely... this means pics will leak showing the real thing in about 4 days!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #35
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
It's a deal brother.

I'm not saying that the new ZF8 in the F90 M5 is going to be slow, quite the contrary. But I am simply stating that it will not be as fast as the DCT. Even in the Auto in the Vette Z06 is lightning fast, but the transmission in the CTS-V is terrible. The same can be compared to the MDCT and the PDK. The PDK in the 911GT3RS and the 918 Spyder are world class transmissions, so insanely fast and smooth, you can't even believe it. The MDCT is almost an entirely different transmission to the PDK, were they not both Dual Clutch.

The ZF8 doesn't bother me that much with the new M5, I agree with M Division in that ZF8 will be able to hold the torque better, it's a lot of the other little stuff that kills it for me. Side view mirrors look too similar to F80 M3's, same exhaust note from F10 M5 because its the same engine setup, floating iDrive screen design, headlights touching the front grille, door panels not made out of carbon fiber, still no word if the hood is going to be carbon fiber and the same with the crankshaft, and generally no innovative technologies besides the new ///M xDrive system. Where's my Active Aerodynamics, where's my Electric Turbos, where's my KERS system, where's my camless engine design, where's my laser headlights, where's any kind of new innovative technology beside a trick AWD system? The F10 M5 was innovative in that they used 2 turbos inside of the V on a V8 engine, no-one practically produced that before, now Audi and Mercedes are doing the same thing. Then Mercedes beats the new F90 M5 to market with trick AWD system of their own in the new E63S which is on sale today. The F90 will be the fastest M5 ever, but only because they are just now introducing a setup which Nissan figured out 10 years ago, by combing AWD with Twin Turbo engine. At least Mercedes is trying out new stuff by developing the innovative M256 engine and going to performance based hybrid electric setups for near future AMG models, like the new upcoming CLS53 AMG.

Ok that should be enough dissenting for the moment

But seriously, those side view mirrors on the M5, seriously M Division??! You can't come up with any OTHER design????

The thing that really bothers me is the stupid Navi screen sticking out like a sore thumb. Loved the way f10 had it nicely incorporated.
Let me start searching for a good brewery for when you buy me a beer. You around OC anytime? What's going on with the car? text me.
      08-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #36
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

This is the ltd Edition First Edition M5 now being shown at previews more recently one in Munich.
Here it is with Frozen Royal Burgandy Red exclusive to the M5 First Edition.
      08-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #37
SFT33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, E60 & F10 M5s

Wouldn't it be cool if they announced it had rear wheel steering.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 05:02 PM   #38
somer
Major
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT33 View Post
Wouldn't it be cool if they announced it had rear wheel steering.
Nope, according to the guy that drove with Timo Glock said it will not have it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #39
Tux
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Stupid question: why is the new M5 still using the F code instead of G?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #40
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Did anyone catch the copy in lower right hand corner?

It says " BMW M5 First Edition inspired by BMW Individual."

The color is a matte paint and looks similar to Mora Metallic from the 90's, but may just be a brand new M color or the launch color. Interesting.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 05:25 PM   #41
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

I'm sure the performance will be good, but the main thing I'm noticing in these photos is a very flat side with no wheel arches to speak of, and huge headlights, which I know it shares with the G30, that just don't seem right on this car.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd5996.50
      08-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #42
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:

They only changed because they don't have a transmission that can handle that much torque. The ZF8HP is a well known transmission at this point, and it shifts in a respectable ~200ms, which is good but a far cry from a DSG, PDK, DTC, or even the old SMG, which are all well under 100ms. It's just a trade off for power.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_time
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #43
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
Did anyone catch the copy in lower right hand corner?

It says " BMW M5 First Edition inspired by BMW Individual."

The color is a matte paint and looks similar to Mora Metallic from the 90's, but may just be a brand new M color or the launch color. Interesting.
Scott explains the color about 3 posts above yours....
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2017, 07:18 PM   #44
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Good Lord...

This is about an M-Car, not about you waxing your dolphin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M_ADDICT View Post
Just finished masturbating to this
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread