BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Stop Sale on BMW M5, M8, X5M and X6M Due to Transmission Wiring Harness Recal

12-16-2019, 11:59 PM   #67
Joey.Donatelli
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Have your dealer check the bulletin SI B 12 30 19. It was updated Thursday with repair the procedure and parts information. I can probably get it posted tomorrow if needed, but all dealers have the same access to it. The repair takes about an hour to complete. Let me know if you still need it in the morning.
Cheers
Good deal! Thanks for the help.

There are a few of us that are still waiting to take delivery and I think we might not be able to use the repair procedure. I have a feeling that we are going to have to wait for the part replacement. I hope I'm wrong!

Thanks again for the help!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 07:27 AM   #68
HeynowbababooeyAckAck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 & X5

Quote:
The repair was released last week so you should be getting the car any time when their schedule allows. The fix is pretty straight forward and typically sold vehicles are high on the priority list for dealers to complete. Also you shouldn't have been able to lease the vehicle with an open campaign, so your payment term won't start until the car is punched/sold. If your lease has in fact started then the car has already been delivered, in which case it's in your possession.
The transaction is out of state. My lease has in fact started, all documents have been signed and punched, the dealer has my tag and title from my states DMV with the plates on the car. It was supposed to be on a truck yesterday to be shipped, but now it’s delayed. My next payment is January 15th.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #69
iM3an
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 17 i3 E36 M3 vert E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeynowbababooeyAckAck View Post
The transaction is out of state. My lease has in fact started, all documents have been signed and punched, the dealer has my tag and title from my states DMV with the plates on the car. It was supposed to be on a truck yesterday to be shipped, but now it’s delayed. My next payment is January 15th.
So you get that GM on the line and have them cover the payments/reimburse you until it gets performed. They shouldn't have punched that car until they knew it was good to go.
2005 M3 6MT (Totaled)
1997 M3 Vert (Sold)
Appreciate 1
BDWonder138.00
      12-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #70
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Quote:
The repair was released last week so you should be getting the car any time when their schedule allows. The fix is pretty straight forward and typically sold vehicles are high on the priority list for dealers to complete. Also you shouldn't have been able to lease the vehicle with an open campaign, so your payment term won't start until the car is punched/sold. If your lease has in fact started then the car has already been delivered, in which case it's in your possession.
The transaction is out of state. My lease has in fact started, all documents have been signed and punched, the dealer has my tag and title from my states DMV with the plates on the car. It was supposed to be on a truck yesterday to be shipped, but now it's delayed. My next payment is January 15th.
Quote:
Quote:
The transaction is out of state. My lease has in fact started, all documents have been signed and punched, the dealer has my tag and title from my states DMV with the plates on the car. It was supposed to be on a truck yesterday to be shipped, but now it's delayed. My next payment is January 15th.
They should give you a car until you get your car.

Perhaps 550 or 760
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 08:04 AM   #71
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman67 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Hehehe,

No need for. DCT they said, ZF8 is faster and smoother they said. SMG IV? No no this is more reliable they said.

This is what BmW gets for cheapening the M brand. Shame! If you're going to have critical transmission failure issues it may as well be on a motorsport focused transmission.

Sad that the ZF8 now is no longer even reliable
I’m no mechanic but what does wire routing issue have to do with you know, the actual transmission itself?
Ha might become apparent when your stuck in neutral on the highway because your transmission chewed up all the wires that control it
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #72
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
Quote:
Hehehe,

No need for. DCT they said, ZF8 is faster and smoother they said. SMG IV? No no this is more reliable they said.

This is what BmW gets for cheapening the M brand. Shame! If you're going to have critical transmission failure issues it may as well be on a motorsport focused transmission.

It's wire routing causing rubbing and a short circuit, nothing to do with the transmission itself. Just their poor choice of wire harness insulation and path.
Its just the hyrdraulic pump nothing wrong with the transmission itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #73
SNAGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Quote:
How do you check this? I just leased a 19’ from another state two days ago, it’s supposed to be shipped to me next week.. hope it gets on the truck and doesn’t sit at the dealership for a while!
What date did you sign the paperwork?

The official notice date of the Stop Sale to all BMW dealers was 12/6. If it was after that date then the dealer should never of been able to sell you the car and should be able to unwind the transaction until the Stop Sale is lifted.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #74
HeynowbababooeyAckAck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAGuy View Post

The official notice date of the Stop Sale to all BMW dealers was 12/6. If it was after that date then the dealer should never of been able to sell you the car and should be able to unwind the transaction until the Stop Sale is lifted.
12/12 signed and FedEx back to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #75
gizmo958
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evo IX, 17 X5M

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hehehe,

I'm no mechanic but what does wire routing issue have to do with you know, the actual transmission itself?
Ha might become apparent when your stuck in neutral on the highway because your transmission chewed up all the wires that control it
Wonder how many cars and which ones in particular this happened to the most. Would like to see the figures
      12-17-2019, 10:51 AM   #76
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Good reason to wait and not purchase the first model out. Allows time for manufacturers to sort out the bugs.

/// M3
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #77
HeynowbababooeyAckAck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasko View Post
Good reason to wait and not purchase the first model out. Allows time for manufacturers to sort out the bugs.
2018 was the first model. And I love your art!
Appreciate 1
Brasko1418.00
      12-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #78
Beemerbighead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 550i xdrive m sport

Garage List
2011 550i  [0.00]
2006 m5  [0.00]
If they actually cared about quality this wouldn't happen instead the car manufacturers are only worried how to cut labor and costs to add too bottom dollar .... now this will hurt credibility and profit but due too dumb fans(consumers) it doesn't matter.... I am one of them lol
      12-17-2019, 12:05 PM   #79
SNAGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm .... I would speak to the finance department and or the GM of the dealership.

That contract should not be a binding one being there was a Stop Sale already in place prior to you signing.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #80
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

Unless I'm off, BMW should really only have to replace parts on vehicles that have been driven and the wires have shown to been affected. Otherwise it should just be a simple move the wires as far from heat as possible fix.
      12-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #81
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo958 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hehehe,

I'm no mechanic but what does wire routing issue have to do with you know, the actual transmission itself?
Wonder how many cars and which ones in particular this happened to the most. Would like to see the figures
It happened to me, posted early in this thread.

Not nice being stranded in an underground parking with the transmission stuck in park
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #82
wesleyan92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC || M5 Comp || X7 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X740i  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5  [0.00]
My friend just picked up his new M5 at Autobahn BMW in Arlington tx that had a stop sale.

He closed the deal Wednesday....they fixed the issue Saturday and got the car ready yesterday. According to him no special parts.
      12-17-2019, 07:54 PM   #83
Racer Louis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

From the description of the problem it seems there could be an easy, quick fix or a longer time to do "BMW Right Way" fix.

If the problem is the transmission wiring harness rubbing against something until the wire insulation is worn through a wire then shorts to ground by touching any metal. The easy, quick fix is to just cover the exposed wire (a heatsink butt splice could do it) and re-wrap and relocate the harness cable to a different hold-down point so it doesn't rub again. The risk in using the easy approach is that it won't fix any other electronic components the grounding of the wire may have damaged.

The "BMW Right Way" would be to not only relocate the transmission wiring harness but to replace it completely and run a diagnostic test of all transmission electronic control functions.

When BMW says it will be until February to develop the tools they need, among other things, it may be the diagnostic software tool may take the longest time to develop.

It will also be worth watching future posts to see when a wire does short is there a different result other than going to neutral. Could be bye, bye transmission time! I hope not!

Louis
F90 M5
F10 M5
E39 M5-sold
E34 M5-sold

Louis
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 11:57 PM   #84
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
2018 was the first model. And I love your art!

Oh, I didn't know and thank you!!

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 12:25 AM   #85
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Louis View Post
From the description of the problem it seems there could be an easy, quick fix or a longer time to do "BMW Right Way" fix.

If the problem is the transmission wiring harness rubbing against something until the wire insulation is worn through a wire then shorts to ground by touching any metal. The easy, quick fix is to just cover the exposed wire (a heatsink butt splice could do it) and re-wrap and relocate the harness cable to a different hold-down point so it doesn't rub again. The risk in using the easy approach is that it won't fix any other electronic components the grounding of the wire may have damaged.

The "BMW Right Way" would be to not only relocate the transmission wiring harness but to replace it completely and run a diagnostic test of all transmission electronic control functions.

When BMW says it will be until February to develop the tools they need, among other things, it may be the diagnostic software tool may take the longest time to develop.

It will also be worth watching future posts to see when a wire does short is there a different result other than going to neutral. Could be bye, bye transmission time! I hope not!

Louis
F90 M5
F10 M5
E39 M5-sold
E34 M5-sold

Louis
There is a fuse protection in case of short circuit. In my case the short circuit burnt a fuse which in turn blocked the transmission.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 07:22 AM   #86
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Quote:

Your deal hasn't been submitted if you shipped it back on the 12th. It's sold to you I'm sure, but not submitted to BMW/ RDR as sold. Legally dealers simply can't sell a vehicle with an open recall. The financial loss BMW would impose is far greater than any profit they can possibly make on a single car deal. As soon as the recall is performed you'll be an owner and the car can be released.
Appreciate 1
SNAGuy91.00
      12-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #87
Joey.Donatelli
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5C

Anyone have any updates?

Just got a call from my dealer that they are still waiting. What is everyone else hearing?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #88
M135iXdriver
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competiton
Location: Northwestern Switzerland veeeeery close to the German Autobahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey.Donatelli View Post
Anyone have any updates?

Just got a call from my dealer that they are still waiting. What is everyone else hearing?
The check will be in January and will most probably be fixed then in February because of the lack of spare parts due to "America first"... 😅

The fix takes about one hour.
2010 - Mazda 3 MPS BL 2.3 (256 bhp) (sold)
Appreciate 0