BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Question about secondary downpipes

03-04-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
BSdoc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Question about secondary downpipes

I am interested in improving the sound/volume of my 19 M5C, and I have seen several exhaust systems I would be interested in. My understanding is that a cat back exhaust system won't add a lot of volume when compared to my current m sport exhaust...so I have a few questions about doing a secondary downpipe with cat deletion:
1) would this make the exhaust significantly louder?
2) I've read that doing this won't trigger a CEL due to lack of O2 sensor, but would it require a tune?
3) what are the chances of this causing a problem that might void the warranty? In other words, would the change in flow etc be enough to say it was the cause of the problem?
4) any suggestions on brands or things to look for?

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSdoc View Post
I am interested in improving the sound/volume of my 19 M5C, and I have seen several exhaust systems I would be interested in. My understanding is that a cat back exhaust system won't add a lot of volume when compared to my current m sport exhaust...so I have a few questions about doing a secondary downpipe with cat deletion:
2) I've read that doing this won't trigger a CEL due to lack of O2 sensor, but would it require a tune?
3) what are the chances of this causing a problem that might void the warranty? In other words, would the change in flow etc be enough to say it was the cause of the problem?

Thanks for the help!
The Catback adds more than you think. Let's say a complete system that included catback and both upper and lower DP's was 100% sound increase. Catback alone I think is about 40% of that increased sound. The other sound it roughly 30% for upper and 30% for lower DP's.

If you want to run a stage2 tune then you would want full catless downpipes. If you're just looking for an increase in sound I would go with catback first. Lower DP's will not trigger a CEL but if you take your car in for service they can flag your car for DP's or you have to remove them before you go in and there is no way to tell that you ever had them.
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      03-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #3
BSdoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the help!
The Catback adds more than you think. Let's say a complete system that included catback and both upper and lower DP's was 100% sound increase. Catback alone I think is about 40% of that increased sound. The other sound it roughly 30% for upper and 30% for lower DP's.

If you want to run a stage2 tune then you would want full catless downpipes. If you're just looking for an increase in sound I would go with catback first. Lower DP's will not trigger a CEL but if you take your car in for service they can flag your car for DP's or you have to remove them before you go in and there is no way to tell that you ever had them.
Thanks for the response. I really don't want to do anything that would cause warranty issues at this time. With my luck, something would break and then I would be up the creek...

Any recommendations on better sounding/louder cat back systems? I've only heard them on videos, which I don't have a lot of faith in. I'm interested in Akrapovic, but not sure it's worth the price...Armytrix looks interesting...there are others around that price.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 08:12 PM   #4
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I really don't want to do anything that would cause warranty issues at this time. With my luck, something would break and then I would be up the creek...

Any recommendations on better sounding/louder cat back systems? I've only heard them on videos, which I don't have a lot of faith in. I'm interested in Akrapovic, but not sure it's worth the price...Armytrix looks interesting...there are others around that price.
I went with Remus and I think it's one of the louder ones and more reasonable pricing.
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 08:45 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the help!

Most guys are went with Remus Cat-Back.

Armytrix / FI tend to be way louder.

Akrapovic is different animal. It is not as loud, but fitment is like a glove and it is lighter than Remus.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 08:46 PM   #6
VeNoM__M5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Quote:

I went with Remus and I think it's one of the louder ones and more reasonable pricing.
Remus hands down for sound/quality/price.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2020, 09:04 PM   #7
BSdoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the help!

Most guys are went with Remus Cat-Back.

Armytrix / FI tend to be way louder.

Akrapovic is different animal. It is not as loud, but fitment is like a glove and it is lighter than Remus.
I think I'll probably go with either Remus or Armytrix. Similar price point. Not sure how I feel about having to control the exhaust with a separate button or my phone (Armytrix) vs just using the button that's already a apart of the cars electronics (Remus)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 09:26 PM   #8
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think I'll probably go with either Remus or Armytrix. Similar price point. Not sure how I feel about having to control the exhaust with a separate button or my phone (Armytrix) vs just using the button that's already a apart of the cars electronics (Remus)
That is a major deal breaker. Trust me, as your exhaust gets loud you want that button.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #9
BSdoc
Private
Rep

Curve ball. After more research and discussion, I decided to order the Eisenmann exhaust. Hopefully I will get it installed in the next week or two.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:07 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Curve ball. After more research and discussion, I decided to order the Eisenmann exhaust. Hopefully I will get it installed in the next week or two.
Congrats

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
BSdoc44.50
      03-12-2020, 05:20 AM   #11
BSdoc
Private
Rep

I asked the folks at my dealership what exhaust mods could be done without causing warranty issues, and I was given a very vague answer. Basically was told that if something malfunctions, it would only be a problem if mods had to be reported...which usually only occurs when there is a third party/extended warranty (I don't have that).

Even if mods are reported, they still have to be proven to have caused the problem to void the warranty, right? Just trying to understand as much as possible because I suspect I will still want secondary downpipes after I get my cat back installed, and I'm not sure how much that would change things...or how that could be proven to cause an issue, should one arise since it doesn't require a tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 11:48 PM   #12
AMOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
I asked the folks at my dealership what exhaust mods could be done without causing warranty issues, and I was given a very vague answer. Basically was told that if something malfunctions, it would only be a problem if mods had to be reported...which usually only occurs when there is a third party/extended warranty (I don't have that).

Even if mods are reported, they still have to be proven to have caused the problem to void the warranty, right? Just trying to understand as much as possible because I suspect I will still want secondary downpipes after I get my cat back installed, and I'm not sure how much that would change things...or how that could be proven to cause an issue, should one arise since it doesn't require a tune.
They will void warranty only if you tune the car, i.e. flash or piggyback and if something expensive breaks as a result, so they can blame you instead of having BMW NA pay for that. Also greatly depends on the dealership, some are cool, others will flag you with a BMC filter drop in mod, lol)
Appreciate 1
BSdoc44.50
      03-19-2020, 10:45 AM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOR View Post
They will void warranty only if you tune the car, i.e. flash or piggyback and if something expensive breaks as a result, so they can blame you instead of having BMW NA pay for that. Also greatly depends on the dealership, some are cool, others will flag you with a BMC filter drop in mod, lol)
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #14
soopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

I was the first with the Remus full cat-back system in Korea.

My installer, who had done many Akra full catback systems for the F90, told me that the Remus is louder than the Akra + secondary DP's.

The Remus is deceiving loud. Much louder from the outside than inside the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #15
BSdoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopa View Post
I was the first with the Remus full cat-back system in Korea.

My installer, who had done many Akra full catback systems for the F90, told me that the Remus is louder than the Akra + secondary DP's.

The Remus is deceiving loud. Much louder from the outside than inside the cabin.
I almost went with Remus. Decided on the Eisenmann performance exhaust instead for a few different reasons. Have been very pleased with the tone/volume, which has already improved since I first put it on. Also installed the Eventuri V2 intake a couple days ago, which made the car substantially more appealing from a sound standpoint.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #16
soopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

I am running the Eventuri/Remus and couldn't be happier. I also have ASD disabled, which to me is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 07:09 PM   #17
BSdoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
I am running the Eventuri/Remus and couldn't be happier. I also have ASD disabled, which to me is perfect.
I need to do that...i can't remember if there's a good thread on here for instructions. Was it easy?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #18
BSdoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I need to do that...i can't remember if there's a good thread on here for instructions. Was it easy?
Found it. Took 5 min. Will see how it sounds tomorrow
Appreciate 0