BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Carbahn Autoworks Tune

12-26-2019, 07:41 AM   #1
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Carbahn Autoworks Tune

Does anyone know anything about this? It's listed there is a warranty that mirror's the factory one for an additional $1500. So $3000 for the flash tune and the warranty. It's Dinan's new company apparently.
I have a local dealer very close to my house so this is intriguing.

https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...-2019-present/

Last edited by trev230; 12-27-2019 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 08:34 PM   #2
cream
Private
Rep
Drives: 19' BSM M5

I'm about to do this tune through my local shop who is an authorized Carbahn dealer since their website states "this can ONLY be installed at an Authorized Carbahn dealer" I'm assuming for the warranty to properly be honored.

Will let you know how it works out for me. I believe this is the best option considering they will match my factory 4 yr 50,000 miles/80,000 km and the fine print reads "The warranty will, without charge for parts or labor, repair or replace the defective CarBahn Autoworks’ component(s), as well as any original vehicle manufacturer’s component(s) that may have been directly affected by a CarBahn Autoworks component, using new or authorized remanufactured parts."
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream View Post
I'm about to do this tune through my local shop who is an authorized Carbahn dealer since their website states "this can ONLY be installed at an Authorized Carbahn dealer" I'm assuming for the warranty to properly be honored.

Will let you know how it works out for me. I believe this is the best option considering they will match my factory 4 yr 50,000 miles/80,000 km and the fine print reads "The warranty will, without charge for parts or labor, repair or replace the defective CarBahn Autoworks’ component(s), as well as any original vehicle manufacturer’s component(s) that may have been directly affected by a CarBahn Autoworks component, using new or authorized remanufactured parts."
Are you doing Stage 1 or 2? What is cost? Do you know if warranty has ever been used by a customer? This is off their website.....We match your factory warranty, so you can enjoy your car with peace of mind.

interesting...
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
Steeve19M5CP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 MBB Blue M5 Competition

This is what we need finally.....a tune with full engine warranty backed by steve dinan and bmw....would be nice to see the dyno stats first since we know the M5 comp does 625whp
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 08:26 PM   #5
cream
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Need For Speed View Post
Are you doing Stage 1 or 2? What is cost? Do you know if warranty has ever been used by a customer? This is off their website.....We match your factory warranty, so you can enjoy your car with peace of mind.

interesting...
I won't know costs til after new year as my local shop is currently closed for holidays. I'm doing stage 1 for now as I think that's all they currently offer but I do plan on stage 2 later down the road. As far as customer using warranty I think it's still to early to tell since this tune was released this month for the F90 platform. Once I'm tuned I will get it on a dyno and see what it's making, I'd be happy with a conservative 660whp which should be easily achieved with the mods I already have installed (Eventuri V2 intake, Keller DP+MP & Akrapovic Evo exhaust).

Last edited by cream; 01-05-2020 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Also curious about this tune
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 05:22 PM   #7
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I won't know costs til after new year as my local shop is currently closed for holidays. I'm doing stage 1 for now as I think that's all they currently offer but I do plan on stage 2 later down the road. As far as customer using warranty I think it's still to early to tell since this tune was released this month for the F90 platform. Once I'm tuned I will get it on a dyno and see what it's making, I'd be happy with a conservative 660whp which should be easily achieved with the mods I already have installed (Eventuri V2 intake, Keller DP+MP & Akrapovic Evo exhaust).

That being said if I do experience issues and require warranty I have to ship my car via flatbed for a 15 hr trip to Carbahn Autoworks HQ in Cali. Inevitably they will not cover the shipping costs but I'd rather take that over a buying a new motor any day!
I'm pretty sure they won't warranty your car since it's already modded. I was told with the Noelle tune intakes or downpipes would void the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:15 PM   #8
cream
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdriver17 View Post
I'm pretty sure they won't warranty your car since it's already modded. I was told with the Noelle tune intakes or downpipes would void the warranty.
So you're saying they'll only warranty my car if it was running ONLY the Carbahn tune and everything else needs to be stock?

That doesn't make much sense, for example no one does stage 2 without downpipes since the factory cats have a chance to overheat and cause issues and under the Carbahn warranty fine print it says nothing about mods. Guess I will have a chat with them and report back!
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2019, 07:04 PM   #9
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So you're saying they'll only warranty my car if it was running ONLY the Carbahn tune and everything else needs to be stock?

That doesn't make much sense, for example no one does stage 2 without downpipes since the factory cats have a chance to overheat and cause issues and under the Carbahn warranty fine print it says nothing about mods. Guess I will have a chat with them and report back!
Yeah, on their website they even say they don't support downpipes and state they don't help much and we all have to breath the same air. I don't think anyone would warrant an engine with other aftermarket parts on it. Someone would bolt on bigger turbos and say, "But you said the motor had a warranty..." They have to draw the line somewhere and my guess would be no aftermarket parts at all. That's what Noelle did. Maybe someone knows how Dinan warranties worked. I'm assuming they also would void their warranty if any non Dinan parts were installed.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2019, 07:42 PM   #10
cream
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdriver17 View Post
Yeah, on their website they even say they don't support downpipes and state they don't help much and we all have to breath the same air. I don't think anyone would warrant an engine with other aftermarket parts on it. Someone would bolt on bigger turbos and say, "But you said the motor had a warranty..." They have to draw the line somewhere and my guess would be no aftermarket parts at all. That's what Noelle did. Maybe someone knows how Dinan warranties worked. I'm assuming they also would void their warranty if any non Dinan parts were installed.
As per the Carbahn website:

Emissions legality:

"A note on down pipes (removing the catalyst). We have run back to back dyno runs with the cat on and off and the power gain is much smaller than most people claim. We all need to breathe the air. Its difficult to get your car its required emissions test without catalyst and it’s illegal."

I believe the reason they state this is because they are located in California which has very strict emission laws so any down pipe can be deemed illegal.

Last edited by cream; 01-05-2020 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 12:00 PM   #11
IBOOSTU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 COMP/21 M5 COMP FROZEN

i found out my dealer bmw LAUREL is a authroirzed dealer for installs im really thinking about getting stage one i dont plan on getting downpipes or anything anyways car is perfect with m performance exhaust as is . Anyone have this on their car?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #12
BMWAUDIO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Frozen Gray , 997 C4S

tune is $1500 by itself or
$3000 if you want the warranty
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #13
mrp3846
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 CP

Garage List
2019 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
Looking to get it installed also in March with local BMW dealer who is authorized also....
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 08:09 AM   #14
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

I received this email from Carbahn regarding some questions I sent them. I will try to upload the dyno graph but looks like 620TQ 650HP at the wheels.

Are you guys part of Dinan?
No, we are not a part of Dinan, however we are owned by Steve Dinan.

Is there continuation of the factory warranty after the tune? For how long/mileage?
Our warranty matches the new car warranty year for year, mile for mile. We approve and pay warranty claims from here directly to the repair facility so you pick up your car with a $0 invoice.

Will any other mods invalidate that warranty?
It is possible that other companies parts may cause a failure. If the dealer determines it was another modification that cause the failure we would not cover the damages that resulted from that.

Do you have any dyno runs I can look at?
Attached - drive train loss 17% for AWD automatic
774 hp / 726lb ft

What is the cost?
$1500 software
$1500 warranty

Have you had any claims on the warranty and how were they handled? Currently on this car we have not, however in other scenarios, we work directly with your dealer to make sure our software is the cause for failure and if it is agreed upon that by Steve Dinan and the dealer we pay for it. Steve has had the longest aftermarket new car warranty matching system. He is great about making sure that you the customer and the dealer have full communication during the warranty claim period.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf F90 M5 Stg1_prelim.pdf (444.3 KB, 326 views)

Last edited by A Need For Speed; 01-04-2020 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 3
MNoob1539.50
cream45.50
mrp384678.00
      01-05-2020, 10:31 AM   #15
Steeve19M5CP
Lieutenant
Rep

If I can convince my local dealer to install this ...this would be a great option stress free...to maintain a running engine as we know the F10/F90 engines do not last with aggressive ECU tunes
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo-Manual 6spd -Giallo Midas Pearl Yellow-Modified
2018 Range Rover Velar S-White
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #16
cream
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Need For Speed View Post
I received this email from Carbahn regarding some questions I sent them. I will try to upload the dyno graph but looks like 620TQ 650HP at the wheels.

Are you guys part of Dinan?
No, we are not a part of Dinan, however we are owned by Steve Dinan.

Is there continuation of the factory warranty after the tune? For how long/mileage?
Our warranty matches the new car warranty year for year, mile for mile. We approve and pay warranty claims from here directly to the repair facility so you pick up your car with a $0 invoice.

Will any other mods invalidate that warranty?
It is possible that other companies parts may cause a failure. If the dealer determines it was another modification that cause the failure we would not cover the damages that resulted from that.

Do you have any dyno runs I can look at?
Attached - drive train loss 17% for AWD automatic
774 hp / 726lb ft

What is the cost?
$1500 software
$1500 warranty

Have you had any claims on the warranty and how were they handled? Currently on this car we have not, however in other scenarios, we work directly with your dealer to make sure our software is the cause for failure and if it is agreed upon that by Steve Dinan and the dealer we pay for it. Steve has had the longest aftermarket new car warranty matching system. He is great about making sure that you the customer and the dealer have full communication during the warranty claim period.
Thanks mate your post answered every question for me. I hope to be running this tune ASAP whenever my local dealer receives the tools.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 05:41 AM   #17
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

Any Florida dealers?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #18
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeve19M5CP View Post
This is what we need finally.....a tune with full engine warranty backed by steve dinan and bmw....would be nice to see the dyno stats first since we know the M5 comp does 625whp
its not backed by BMW. Its Steve Dinan's new venture and he is recreating his old play book. it would be carbahn that would pay for any warranty claims, NOT BMW> they have nothing to do with it, nor support it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 08:42 PM   #19
Stealth7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: No BMWs Right Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
its not backed by BMW. Its Steve Dinan's new venture and he is recreating his old play book. it would be carbahn that would pay for any warranty claims, NOT BMW> they have nothing to do with it, nor support it.
Previously with Dinan, participating BMW dealers were willing to sell and install the Dinan Tunes and not immediately seek to flag or void your warranty on installation of the Tunes; this helped with future service, OEM software updates, etc. This was of course not BMW backing the Tune, but it is worth something to have BMW participate in the process. On the other hand, BMW would certainly know about the process under those circumstances. I plan to stay stock in terms of Tunes, but I am interested to see how this issue develops.
Appreciate 1
subzero05115.50
      02-04-2020, 04:26 PM   #20
Next Phase
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I just contacted my dealership (and Carbahn directly) and they are an authorized installer (Durham, NC dealer). My dealership was an authorized Dinan installer by the way.

Just wanted to pass on the information as I was patiently waiting for this to become available.

774 flywheel HP & 726 LB/FT flywheel torque for $3169.99 + tax is what I was quoted.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 04:41 PM   #21
Bmwusabmw
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Phase View Post
I just contacted my dealership (and Carbahn directly) and they are an authorized installer (Durham, NC dealer). My dealership was an authorized Dinan installer by the way.

Just wanted to pass on the information as I was patiently waiting for this to become available.

774 flywheel HP & 726 LB/FT flywheel torque for $3169.99 + tax is what I was quoted.
I had a great convo with them a little bit back, they have paid out many warranty claims so if something does go wrong they actually do step up.

The wheel power gains are about 60whp and 75whtq, so for pump gas its pretty decent.

Also the selling dealer can move on price you just need to see if they are willing to work out a deal.

- Ask them about a demo of it, they normally allow you try it for a set period of time.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 05:44 PM   #22
Steeve19M5CP
Lieutenant
Rep

anyone get this yet? any word on engine coverage guarantees?
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo-Manual 6spd -Giallo Midas Pearl Yellow-Modified
2018 Range Rover Velar S-White
Appreciate 0