BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Regional Forums UK    Another new UK owner

10-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
mynamesnotbob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f90 M5

Another new UK owner

Another new UK owner, well not really new just forgot to post up a thread!

I picked up my new M5 5 weeks ago now....

I am about 1000 miles in and should have RIS done in the next week! It's not been too much of an issue holding off, but will be fun to wind her open a bit more..

Anyway the spec I got is:
Saf Black
M Seat Belts
Apple Car Play
Silverstone Leather, w carbon structure trim
Comfort Pack
Driving Assistant plus
M Sports Exhaust
M Seat Belts
B+W stereo

Car was thankfully delivered completely untouched with all the packaging still on so I could detail from a known starting point. After 20 hours of polishing it was fully sealed with Gtechniq products inside and out, black grills added also.

Now looking like this, but I'm sure you know what they look like!:

Last edited by mynamesnotbob; 10-28-2019 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #2
Burnsey
Just A Regular Guy
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition X-Drive

Garage List
Looks great!

I did the same with the collection - took the stickers off and added full Gtechniq.

My spec was pretty much as yours, but S Grey with black. Not a massive fan of the interior trim, preferring the carbon I had in my M3, but better than most choices and as a built car, I got what I got.

Silly question - the front grill V brace bars - are they matt or gloss?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
mynamesnotbob
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestick View Post
Looks great!

I did the same with the collection - took the stickers off and added full Gtechniq.

My spec was pretty much as yours, but S Grey with black. Not a massive fan of the interior trim, preferring the carbon I had in my M3, but better than most choices and as a built car, I got what I got.

Silly question - the front grill V brace bars - are they matt or gloss?
Yep the dealer principle wasn't too happy with all panels covered in delivery wrap as I drove off with a nice layer of dirt all over it

Loving the interior as its quite a change and makes it feel roomy, not too fussed about lack of proper carbon my other car has plenty and suits the feel fo that better - well my opinion anyway!

Brace bars are matt, but have now been sealed so are a satin - but def not gloss
      10-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #4
Burnsey
Just A Regular Guy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynamesnotbob View Post
Yep the dealer principle wasn't too happy with all panels covered in delivery wrap as I drove off with a nice layer of dirt all over it

Loving the interior as its quite a change and makes it feel roomy, not too fussed about lack of proper carbon my other car has plenty and suits the feel fo that better - well my opinion anyway!

Brace bars are matt, but have now been sealed so are a satin - but def not gloss
Thanks not Bob

I had a bit of a crap experience to be honest. Car was filthy and once home, parked up for a week until the detailer could come. Once clean, noticed a few marks on the bumper and ended up a 'who's problem' conversation - didn't end up satisfied, so won't go back, but all sorted now.

My M3 Comp brace was gloss and every other M5 was too. Apart from mine, which are matt, so at least that makes two now!

Should have done them on day one, but left until I could confirm, but now will make a decision to leave 'patchy', wrap, remove and paint - what have you sealed them with - Gtechniq?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
mynamesnotbob
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks not Bob

I had a bit of a crap experience to be honest. Car was filthy and once home, parked up for a week until the detailer could come. Once clean, noticed a few marks on the bumper and ended up a 'who's problem' conversation - didn't end up satisfied, so won't go back, but all sorted now.

My M3 Comp brace was gloss and every other M5 was too. Apart from mine, which are matt, so at least that makes two now!

Should have done them on day one, but left until I could confirm, but now will make a decision to leave 'patchy', wrap, remove and paint - what have you sealed them with - Gtechniq?
Its just the joy of prebuilt cars I guess? I expect every car to have defects, I'd prefer to know where they are but I know I am not most people! Luckily my sales guy knows after buying quite a few cars through him the process I go through with each car so anything that does need remediation would get sorted, but there was nothing a heavy round of compounding and polishing couldn't rectify.

Bars were polished with Menz 3800 and light cutting pad, then sealed with MenzPowerlock and Collinite 845 as I wanted to see how they faired before doing a ceramic coat. Didn't want to lock in patchiness.

The M5 I test drove had matt bars also, that was a 2018 built car so they didn't look unusual to me.
      10-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #6
Burnsey
Just A Regular Guy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Its just the joy of prebuilt cars I guess? I expect every car to have defects, I'd prefer to know where they are but I know I am not most people! Luckily my sales guy knows after buying quite a few cars through him the process I go through with each car so anything that does need remediation would get sorted, but there was nothing a heavy round of compounding and polishing couldn't rectify.

Bars were polished with Menz 3800 and light cutting pad, then sealed with MenzPowerlock and Collinite 845 as I wanted to see how they faired before doing a ceramic coat. Didn't want to lock in patchiness.

The M5 I test drove had matt bars also, that was a 2018 built car so they didn't look unusual to me.
Thanks again and mine is also a 2018 built car. After reading some of the recent posts on the cars sound, I think I'm happy it isn't a late build?

I shall have a word with my local guy about the bars - most importantly, I know that is how they should be, so can build on that - so thanks!

The service manager said he '"thought they had gone off" FFS.

"Like a pint of milk" I asked

Anyway, thankfully dealers are not few and far between...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
mynamesnotbob
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks again and mine is also a 2018 built car. After reading some of the recent posts on the cars sound, I think I'm happy it isn't a late build?

I shall have a word with my local guy about the bars - most importantly, I know that is how they should be, so can build on that - so thanks!

The service manager said he '"thought they had gone off" FFS.

"Like a pint of milk" I asked

Anyway, thankfully dealers are not few and far between...
To be fair it could be UV damage, accelerated by salt water as I presume they were left at port for a while if prebuilt. Could simply be that combined with a change in lacquer when ours were built?
      10-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
Burnsey
Just A Regular Guy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
To be fair it could be UV damage, accelerated by salt water as I presume they were left at port for a while if prebuilt. Could simply be that combined with a change in lacquer when ours were built?
Yes, but still think a dealer should supply 'as new'.

Was surprised to learn my build date as October 2018, when collected unregistered in September 2019, but the massive discount helped

Anyway, less of my issues, enjoy your car!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 03:50 PM   #9
mynamesnotbob
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but still think a dealer should supply 'as new'.

Was surprised to learn my build date as October 2018, when collected unregistered in September 2019, but the massive discount helped

Anyway, less of my issues, enjoy your car!
No I hear you, it should be how you want! And they shouldn't fob you off no matter what discount they gave