BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    DIY/Removable Ceramic/Other Coating

06-20-2019, 07:59 AM   #1
Peak_rider
Peak_Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

DIY/Removable Ceramic/Other Coating

Hi, picked up my new M5 Competition! Don't want to spend the big box on ceramic coating. I've seen coatings you can put and remove after wear. Any recommendations? Many Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peak_rider View Post
Hi, picked up my new M5 Competition! Don't want to spend the big box on ceramic coating. I've seen coatings you can put and remove after wear. Any recommendations? Many Thanks.
Ceramic coating worth every penny. When right first time washing is a breeze. All that you need to do is a touch up every month or so. IMHO, but you do what you are comfortable with
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 11:36 PM   #3
Peak_rider
Peak_Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 06:04 AM   #4
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '%E2%80%9909 e92 m3, '19 X3, %

buy it online for $100, watch a youtube video on application, and DIY.

its a no brainer and easy af
      06-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Carpro's CQuartz UK is easy to apply.

You top it off with Carpro Reload and wash it with Carpro Reset.

Picture of my Avatar is my old M4 and it was still looking like this after 2 years.

Just make sure that your paint is decontaminated and polished to remove any paint defect before you start with the ceramic coating because it will seal the defects for good.
      06-22-2019, 01:33 PM   #6
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19' M5 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtenedio View Post

I originally coated my car myself with water based ceramic coating.
Results were good but after 2 months the hydrophobic properties completely wore off so I had a professional coating applied, too soon to tell if it was worth it or not.

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
M Performance: Exhaust Tips/Pro Spoiler/Rear Diffuser. H&R 11/11 Spacers ACG Carbon Kevlar Pads XPEL Front PPF Ceramic Pro Silver 20% Tints Instagram #m5comp
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #7
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '%E2%80%9909 e92 m3, '19 X3, %

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOMP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtenedio View Post

Results were good but after 2 months the hydrophobic properties completely wore off so I had a professional coating applied, too soon to tell if it was worth it or not.
i forgot to mention, the car should be claybared and fully detailed prior to coating..
      06-25-2019, 09:32 PM   #8
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOMP View Post
the durability of those water based protectants are very short and not surprised you only got two months. ceramic is always worth it as long as you go with a quality brand, proper installer, and be consistent with maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 02:15 PM   #9
srttan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 Competition

I did my MComp 1 week after i got the car. Used CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0. Very easy to apply and beads like crazy. Maintain like "stealth70mde" recommended with washing car with CarPro Reset and applying Reload every couple months. Putting a ceramic coating make washing the car much easier as well as dirt does not seam to stick to paint so easily. You can get on amazon or go to http://‎carpro-us.com they ship for free and you can get some free stuff if you order over $50 and over $100 just look at the daily deals section. Use coupon code "TLC" to get some additional discount as well. I've decided to use only CarPro products on the M. CarPro eraser works really good on glass. Give them a call and pick their brain if you have any questions. Very friendly staff.

Also check out Pan the organizer on youtube. he does a ton of tutorials on how prep paint and apply.

Last edited by srttan; 08-02-2019 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2019, 05:56 AM   #10
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

If you are going to apply yourself it’s not hard. The hard part is the prep. Wash then Decontamination with iron removal product (iron x). Then clay bar it, then polish it to remove any defects. Then wipe down with a surface prep like eraser and then apply the best ceramic you can justify.

The ceramic is tons better than wax or sealant but it’s not billet proof. If you own. I would PPF (paintnprotection film) after correction and then ceramic coat.

Consumer brands that are good that I’ve used

Gyeon can coat. Easiest to apply medium durability. If this is your first time perhaps consider. It’s not quite a durable as the rest but very hydrophobic. Expect 6 months to 1.5 years depending on care.

Gtechnig crystal serum lite very durable expect 1-2 years. Depending on exposure and care. Not a hydrophobic but very protective.

Gtechnig EXO ( either alone or as a topper to above). It’s very hydroponic. Expect 6 months to 1.5 years dependent on care.

Care is keeping coating clean. Regular washes by hand with good car wash. I like reset 4 times a year and use optimum or Poorboys super slick and suds whichever is on sale. No auto car washes. And it will last.

Now I’m on to professional coatings which last longer but cost is higher and they must be applied by a professional.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 09:02 AM   #11
JK-M5
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MBB F90 M5

I got mine coated with CeramicX 10H apparently it lasts a Lifetime

time will tell, looks unbelievable though, i had the last M5 coated with Gyeon Duraflex also a fantastic product,

Depends on what your going to wash it with in the future to get the long lasting effects of it, i use Bilthamber products and the finis after a simple wash is very impressive.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 12:00 AM   #12
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Ceramic coating is a great option but very expensive and requires maintenance. Don’t think most understand how much you have to maintain it. I never wanted to spend the money but my wife got a full professional paint correction and coat.
It worked great for a good 8-9 months and we never re-applied and it started not working as well. Washed the car with neutral chemical guys wash and took care of the car. For the thousands you pay I really don’t think it’s worth the money

The cost is usually majoirty paint correction so if
You have a brand new car it’s easier and cheaper. But there are so many new options with sprays that work pretty good and don’t have the cost of maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-M5 View Post
I got mine coated with CeramicX 10H apparently it lasts a Lifetime

time will tell, looks unbelievable though, i had the last M5 coated with Gyeon Duraflex also a fantastic product,

Depends on what your going to wash it with in the future to get the long lasting effects of it, i use Bilthamber products and the finis after a simple wash is very impressive.
Appreciate 0