BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Tearing My Hair Out

03-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #1
MDJAK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Tearing My Hair Out

Picked up my 2020 “base” M5 few weeks back. Came from a few Porsches, traded a 911 for it. Porsche is not known for its electronics. BMW is, so far as I know. I’m fairly certain what worked in week one if ownership is no longer working and it’s driving me crazy. First world problems, I know.

1. At first, I did not like the M HUD view. Then I found how to shrink it. Now, even if I change standard view to M view, once I turn off the car, it reverts to standard. I know you can program the M buttons and I have, but if I want everything in comfort setting, the standard view appears.

2. And the real reason I’m going batty. If my phone is synced (iPhone 11 Pro Max) I can easily go to source and pick Sirius, FM, Apple Car Play, etc, as it should do. What I CAN’T do is change the audio and have Waze remain on screen. If Waze is on screen, meaning the car screen, I have to be listening to music on my phone. No matter how I change music, be it through voice command or otherwise, it will take Waze off the screen. Even my lowly 911 didn’t do that.

What am I doing wrong or not doing right! And I know in week 1 I was able to see Waze which I use all the time to see where LEO is no matter what was playing. No longer.

Ty.

PS: Please be kind to an old man and dumb your reply down so I can understand and follow it so I don’t have to have my wife read it and show me. Lol.

Last edited by MDJAK; 03-27-2020 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
Picked up my 2020 "base" M5 few weeks back. Came from a few Porsches, traded a 911 for it. Porsche is not known for its electronics. BMW is, so far as I know. I'm fairly certain what worked in week one if ownership is no longer working and it's driving me crazy. First world problems, I know.

1. At first, I did not like the M HUD view. Then I found how to shrink it. Now, even if I change standard view to M view, once I turn off the car, it reverts to standard. I know you can program the M buttons and I have, but if I want everything in comfort setting, the standard view appears.

2. And the real reason I'm going batty. If my phone is synced (iPhone 11 Pro Max) I can easily go to source and pick Sirius, FM, Apple Car Play, etc, as it should do. What I CAN'T do is change the audio and have Waze remain on screen. If Waze is on screen, meaning the car screen, I have to be listening to music on my phone. No matter how I change music, be it through voice command or otherwise, it will take Waze off the screen. Even my lowly 911 didn't do that.

What am I doing wrong or not doing right! And I know in week 1 I was able to see Waze which I use all the time to see where LEO is no matter what was playing. No longer.

Ty.

PS: Please be kind to an old man and dumb your reply down so I can understand and follow it so I don't have to have my wife read it and show me. Lol.
I'll try to help, but I have a 2019. But I think it should work for 2020.

1st issue. You can go to settings of idrive and then choose the M-view, but you are correct, it will not save the M-view when you will restart the car next time.

What you can do is program one of the steering wheel buttons to all comfort settings (that what you mentioned you like) and have the M view show up along with those comfort settings. This is the easiest way I think.

I haven't looked into it, but it also might be a option to code the car, so M-view for heads up display is the default display all the time. That would be the most ideal for you, but not sure if possible l.

2nd issue. When you have CarPlay up on the screen and Waze is showing directions for example. Use the middle idrive controller by the gear shift and press the media button, you will have a menu come up on the idrive screen with all the options to play Audio from. Choose the desired option, and it will start playing from that source, and CarPlay will still be showing up on the screen.

But every time you will open your phone for and try to play some app with sound in it, the car will automatically switch to playing sound from your phone. To go back to listening to xm or something, you will again have to press the Media button and choose the desired source again.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 2
MDJAK82.00
asif16398.50
      04-07-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
MDJAK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

So the media button won’t do it, but pressing the band button near the radio volume knob did. Thank god.
Appreciate 0