BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Jb4 burblely tune?

03-27-2020, 10:31 PM   #1
Blue M5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 competition

Jb4 burblely tune?

I keep see and hearing about the bmw burbley pop tune. Can this be done with the jb4?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 10:49 PM   #2
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

No as it requires injection timing changes that can't be done externally without reflashing the car. You'll have to pick between your warranty/lease return and the exhaust burbles. The good news is should you decide to do it the JB4 is fully compatible with all the flash tunes out and quite useful for logging, safety, and fine tuning.
Appreciate 2
Blue M558.00
zdbmw46.00
      03-29-2020, 10:16 PM   #3
Blue M5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
No as it requires injection timing changes that can't be done externally without reflashing the car. You'll have to pick between your warranty/lease return and the exhaust burbles. The good news is should you decide to do it the JB4 is fully compatible with all the flash tunes out and quite useful for logging, safety, and fine tuning.
I've never leased or had a BMW. Even if you flash the car back to stock when returning they will check to see if I had a tune on it?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 05:23 PM   #4
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

I've had customers who had it happen flashed to factory, and then other customers who turned in cars even with mods on them for lease return and no issues. It's a bit like playing roulette. Once it's been flashed BMW also won't CPO the car so the only option is the lease buyout option.

We all want fast cars so I'm not trying to discourage people from flashing or modifying, we flash all of our Fuel-IT cars using MHD for back end flash maps, but just be aware of the risks. For many customers JB4 is enough for them and is one of those few things you can easily remove when needed.
Appreciate 1
Blue M558.00
      03-30-2020, 09:13 PM   #5
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue M5 View Post
I keep see and hearing about the bmw burbley pop tune. Can this be done with the jb4?
I got mine tuned from Eurocharged and they didn't recommend doing it due to possible damage to catalyst over time.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 1
Blue M558.00
      03-31-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
The Comp exhaust opens up within a few months attaining steadily more growl and frequent burbles.

As noted, the JB4 can't enhance that aspect but it can deliver a consistent sub-2.7s 0-60mph and 10.5s 1/4 mile outrunning many supercars.

In my opinion, flashing is too much of a risk for leased vehicles since they may refuse the car upon return and obviously your drivetrain-related warranty is questionable for the term you drive it. I do mod my leases but only in ways that can be restored to stock.

Perhaps you could try an aftermarket exhaust option to increase the already-satisfying sound to something a bit more angry—just choose one that doesn't require a hacksaw.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:30 AM   #7
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

no it cannot
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:29 AM   #8
Blue M5
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys. I've decided to get a remus catback and jb4. Will hook the jb4 up after I get my 1000 mile sevice if I want a little more sound I'll get a secondary cat delete.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:44 AM   #9
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys. I've decided to get a remus catback and jb4. Will hook the jb4 up after I get my 1000 mile sevice if I want a little more sound I'll get a secondary cat delete.
I've heard them—they sound as good as my Acrapovic exhausts did. They sweeten the note if that makes sense.

Good choice on the JB4, I suspect you'll be very happy.
Appreciate 1
Blue M558.00
      03-31-2020, 05:50 PM   #10
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
I'm running the JB4, project Gamma intakes, GThaus SGT axle back, and ER secondary lowers. I left the resonator on and got a remote controller for the valves. It sounds great with the valves open but the exhaust note could be a little louder, the pops/bangs are like gunshots now though
Appreciate 1
GTATX1104.00
      03-31-2020, 05:57 PM   #11
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDriverX View Post
Quote:
I'm running the JB4, project Gamma intakes, GThaus SGT axle back, and ER secondary lowers. I left the resonator on and got a remote controller for the valves. It sounds great with the valves open but the exhaust note could be a little louder, the pops/bangs are like gunshots now though
I just went with resonator delete and a custom x-pipe and it sound crazy now. Also got eurocharged tune pushing 700+ whp and 700+ TQ
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 06:11 PM   #12
Blue M5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I've heard them—they sound as good as my Acrapovic exhausts did. They sweeten the note if that makes sense.

Didnt you make a custom map6. What was your settings?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 06:25 PM   #13
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Didnt you make a custom map6. What was your settings?
It doesn't work that way. Each engine is different. I had to change it when I moved from a 2019 F90 to a 2020 and that was the very same JB4. I have a new one (no different, though) in my M8 and my 2020 M5 settings don't work well. I'm in the middle of determining what does.

The basics are:
- use map 6 in additive mode meaning per-RPM targets below 7
--- in this mode, they're additive on top of ECU targets

- consider limiting boost in 1st by 1 or 2 psi if traction is a problem
--- if you've got stock tires or shit roads (I have both), it will be
--- enter 1 or 2 for 'Max Boost 1st'
--- next, you need to enter additive boost targets for each 500RPM increment
--- if you've got 93 octane, +4 as a starting point worked for me
*** TO EMPHASIZE THE RISK HERE: you get this wrong--you'll fuck up your engine in 5-digit $$$ ways; consider yourself cautioned
--- while the targets here are based mostly on fuel, each engine is different as evidenced by my cars
--- start low at say 3 psi until 4K RPM
--- then up it to say 4 psi until 6K RPM (roughly equivalent to map 1)
--- I've learned it works better if you drop it back down at 6.5K RPM

- enable logging
--- do a few pulls from launch and 60-130s if road conditions legally (yada yada) permit
--- post the logs on the JB4 forum asking for someone to assess them for you

--> www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52314

--- iterate and increment from there

If you haven't already, get a Dragy so you can accurately assess improvements.

PS: did you sort out a car yet?

Last edited by limeypride; 03-31-2020 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 08:42 PM   #14
Blue M5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't work that way. Each engine is different. I had to change it when I moved from a 2019 F90 to a 2020 and that was the very same JB4. I have a new one (no different, though) in my M8 and my 2020 M5 settings don't work well. I'm in the middle of determining what does.

The basics are:
- use map 6 in additive mode meaning per-RPM targets below 7
--- in this mode, they're additive on top of ECU targets

- consider limiting boost in 1st by 1 or 2 psi if traction is a problem
--- if you've got stock tires or shit roads (I have both), it will be
--- enter 1 or 2 for 'Max Boost 1st'
--- next, you need to enter additive boost targets for each 500RPM increment
--- if you've got 93 octane, +4 as a starting point worked for me
*** TO EMPHASIZE THE RISK HERE: you get this wrong--you'll fuck up your engine in 5-digit $$$ ways; consider yourself cautioned
--- while the targets here are based mostly on fuel, each engine is different as evidenced by my cars
--- start low at say 3 psi until 4K RPM
--- then up it to say 4 psi until 6K RPM (roughly equivalent to map 1)
--- I've learned it works better if you drop it back down at 6.5K RPM

- enable logging
--- do a few pulls from launch and 60-130s if road conditions legally (yada yada) permit
--- post the logs on the JB4 forum asking for someone to assess them for you

--> www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52314

--- iterate and increment from there

If you haven't already, get a Dragy so you can accurately assess improvements.

PS: did you sort out a car yet?
Thanks, yeah I'm getting the one white one I originally wanted. The car is safe inside but cant get it till they open back up. Apparently they are not opening up till after the 3rd. I'm hoping they reopen Saturday so I can get it. The Corona virus really has things meesed up.

Im gonna buy from Burger tune. From what I understand you data log and they will make adjustments necessary. Its exactly how we tune in the mustang world.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 08:47 PM   #15
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, yeah I'm getting the one white one I originally wanted. The car is safe inside but cant get it till they open back up. Apparently they are not opening up till after the 3rd. I'm hoping they reopen Saturday so I can get it. The Corona virus really has things meesed up.

Im gonna buy from Burger tune. From what I understand you data log and they will make adjustments necessary. Its exactly how we tune in the mustang world.
Congrats!

They don't make adjustments--they'll tell you whether your configuration is working well and within tolerances. You also decide how far you push it.
Appreciate 1
Blue M558.00
      04-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #16
amg55driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

my Racechip burbles more than it should.. haha
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 10:24 AM   #17
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg55driver View Post
my Racechip burbles more than it should.. haha
I have both the Racechip and JB4 simultaneously installed in my M8–neither do anything to the burbles (only one is on at a time—perhaps I need both to get more burbles ).

You're just kidding, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 01:13 PM   #18
Blue M5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Congrats!

They don't make adjustments--they'll tell you whether your configuration is working well and within tolerances. You also decide how far you push it.
Well that sucks lol honestly I would run map1 for my everyday. I just want to turn up a the track. I was talking to burger tuning. Fron what they told me. I should be able to run map3 with 93 and a can of boostane. I would think that's good for 10.5 or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #19
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Congrats!

Well that sucks lol honestly I would run map1 for my everyday. I just want to turn up a the track. I was talking to burger tuning. Fron what they told me. I should be able to run map3 with 93 and a can of boostane. I would think that's good for 10.5 or so.
As would I. Map 6 will outperform it, though. My personal best on 92 octane pump plus 6oz of BOOSTane Pro is 10.31s.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #20
Blue M5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
As would I. Map 6 will outperform it, though. My personal best on 92 octane pump plus 6oz of BOOSTane Pro is 10.31s.
I'll get there, once I have it hooked up. I'll test at the track. My 2019 mustang I just sold was an 8 second street car. But I'll take a 10.3 with my ass and back being messaged going through the trap lol. I still need the damn car lol. Hopefully early next week is what I'm hearing. The new incentives come out monday. Maybe I'll get a little more of a discount.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:24 PM   #21
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'll get there, once I have it hooked up. I'll test at the track. My 2019 mustang I just sold was an 8 second street car. But I'll take a 10.3 with my ass and back being messaged going through the trap lol. I still need the damn car lol. Hopefully early next week is what I'm hearing. The new incentives come out monday. Maybe I'll get a little more of a discount.
You might indeed! Did you speak to Aaron? Nothing useful there?

Where your M5 will impressis the launch—it'll run 2.6, 2.7, 2.8s launches from a traffic light repeatedly and do it every time even getting close on damp roads (with new tires; stock patch isn't wide enough and if you're unlucky enough to get Pirellis, burn them immediately and buy some Michelin's).
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #22
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
You might indeed! Did you speak to Aaron? Nothing useful there?

Where your M5 will impressis the launch—it'll run 2.6, 2.7, 2.8s launches from a traffic light repeatedly and do it every time even getting close on damp roads (with new tires; stock patch isn't wide enough and if you're unlucky enough to get Pirellis, burn them immediately and buy some Michelin's).
What tire sizes would you recommend for when switching to michelins on stock Comp wheels? I have a thread going with this question, but nobody seems to know the answer! Please help lol
Appreciate 0