BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Regional Forums UK    It's arrived

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #1
stewie177
New Member
2
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: Lotus Exige 410
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

It's arrived

Picked it up on Friday and already very impressed, especially having spent an hour in my garage setting it up as I want - I already cannot wait until 1201.

A couple of observations though:
- Seems to sit high on the suspension and so makes the wheels look quite small, but I would imagine as it runs in this will settle somewhat
- The 4wd really tucks the nose in, much more than the M4 and it makes a tangible difference, particularly with Storm Dennis and wet roads
- The car shrinks on the road because of the handling
- Having come from an Exige with over 400 horses, the torque is amazing, but want the run-in
- The steering is a bit numb, there's no hint of when it's about the give way - it is purely for what I would call a road monologue - me talking to the road and it not talking to me - this may be a hangover from the Exige, but you can tell if it was moving an inch
- Only under breaking does the car show its weight, or the fact it's a torque converter box - is there a setting that gives you engine breaking?

Otherwise, it's ALL good

In tomorrow for a ceramic coat, so I lose it for a couple of days...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
DannyA
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
67
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: F90 M5
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Congrats on the car! Upload a pic once the coat is all on


Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie177 View Post
- Seems to sit high on the suspension and so makes the wheels look quite small, but I would imagine as it runs in this will settle somewhat
Yeah I think you will see a little improvement, but they do look small anyway. On the flip side, the new RS6 looks comical with 22's

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie177 View Post
- Having come from an Exige with over 400 horses, the torque is amazing, but want the run-in
Get a racechip on her, makes a massive difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie177 View Post
- The steering is a bit numb, there's no hint of when it's about the give way - it is purely for what I would call a road monologue - me talking to the road and it not talking to me - this may be a hangover from the Exige, but you can tell if it was moving an inch
1000%, if its greasy you dont get any feedback until your in a tree! I think Clarkson picked up on this doing a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie177 View Post
- Only under breaking does the car show its weight, or the fact it's a torque converter box - is there a setting that gives you engine breaking?
If you put the box in an aggressive setting you will find it better.

Otherwise, it's ALL good
__________________
If it's not in the red, drop a cog.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
josec70
Brigadier General
1516
Rep
3,692
Posts

Drives: 19' SG M5 Competition
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie177 View Post
Picked it up on Friday and already very impressed, especially having spent an hour in my garage setting it up as I want - I already cannot wait until 1201.

A couple of observations though:
- Seems to sit high on the suspension and so makes the wheels look quite small, but I would imagine as it runs in this will settle somewhat
- The 4wd really tucks the nose in, much more than the M4 and it makes a tangible difference, particularly with Storm Dennis and wet roads
- The car shrinks on the road because of the handling
- Having come from an Exige with over 400 horses, the torque is amazing, but want the run-in
- The steering is a bit numb, there's no hint of when it's about the give way - it is purely for what I would call a road monologue - me talking to the road and it not talking to me - this may be a hangover from the Exige, but you can tell if it was moving an inch
- Only under breaking does the car show its weight, or the fact it's a torque converter box - is there a setting that gives you engine breaking?

Otherwise, it's ALL good

In tomorrow for a ceramic coat, so I lose it for a couple of days...
Suspension sits high but should settle a bit .. not much.

The 20" wheels will continue to look small unless you go with aftermarket suspension and eliminate some of the gap.

These cars swallow up 21" wheels as well.
__________________
19' M5C SG
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 01:35 AM   #4
Jon7
Registered
Jon7's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 Competition
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Derby UK

iTrader: (0)

Picked up my new M5C in Singapore Grey, 20 plate, on day one from Chester and drove home to East Midlands. Discount was £20k off retail. I have Matt brace bars as that question seems to thread a lot? When I found the car one of the questions I asked the salesman was “Does it have adaptive headlights?” He replied it did. Day three I went out for a night drive only to find that it does but not high beam assist. Why would a manufacturer offer one without the other?

Also I’m a bit annoyed with the Connected app. Unable to check out with CarPlay. An error occurs. Can’t load 3D Remote View as the cameras can’t be activated. In summary “Un-Connected “ is more apt. BMW could learn a lot from rival apps I think.

Final moan. I’m hoping that I get some snap, crackle and pop after my 1200 run in service? I haven’t really pushed the revs and even now only have 250 miles on it but why do I feel that I may be disappointed?

All that said it’s a fantastically responsive machine with a great cabin and exterior presence. A bit of a change from the 911 Targa 4GTS daily drive that I’ve just said goodbye to.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 07:15 AM   #5
Ian335xd
Private
United Kingdom
6
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: BMW F90 M5 2019
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Devon

iTrader: (0)

Glad you are enjoying the car. If you have the latest model with the digital dash the pops and crackles from the exhaust have been removed due to the latest EU regs. My remote 3D didn't work but that was resolved when it had a software update and hopefully your other problems will be as well. All M5's come with high beam assist so if it's not working you need to check with your local dealer.
Appreciate 1
Jon70.00

      03-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #6
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
255
Rep
623
Posts

Drives: San Marino Blue F90
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Midlands, England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon7 View Post
I asked the salesman was ďDoes it have adaptive headlights?Ē He replied it did. Day three I went out for a night drive only to find that it does but not high beam assist. Why would a manufacturer offer one without the other?
All F90's have adaptive LED's with high beam assist - you press the button on the end of the left hand stalk to turn it on.
__________________
F90 San Marino Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 08:28 AM   #7
Maxlude
Private First Class
United Kingdom
15
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I park in an outside car park during the week. I've found that sometimes the remote 3d view does not work if I park in certain spots...no connection, cannot activate camera system etc...but works fine in other spots. This is not a big car park...can fit about 8 cars but has stone walled Edwardian houses on some sides. I think the car cannot get decent mobile data signal when too close to these old houses with their thick walls! When parked away from the houses, seems to work very well. I like to know which herder has parked next to me lol
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 08:33 AM   #8
Maxlude
Private First Class
United Kingdom
15
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Re. Engine breaking...I am trying to confirm whether F90s have ConnectedShift, which is when the gbox uses nav data to help select gears. The tech manual says the gbox can do it, haven't found if car is set up to use it. In 7 series, aparantly it does not work in ecopro, do will try in sport, sport+ in the F90. Else use manual and paddles.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #9
stewie177
New Member
2
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: Lotus Exige 410
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlude View Post
Re. Engine breaking...I am trying to confirm whether F90s have ConnectedShift, which is when the gbox uses nav data to help select gears. The tech manual says the gbox can do it, haven't found if car is set up to use it. In 7 series, aparantly it does not work in ecopro, do will try in sport, sport+ in the F90. Else use manual and paddles.
One of my colleagues has the M850 and his uses nav in an aggressive setting.

I would like a bit more than it currently has. When you lean on the anchors, it drops a few cogs, but just when progressing, it would be nice when I ask for a drop with the break and gearbox, just to feel a little more connected.

After Monday (run in time), I will open it up a little and see if higher in the rev range I can get it working
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 03:09 AM   #10
Jon7
Registered
Jon7's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 Competition
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Derby UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT_M5 View Post
All F90's have adaptive LED's with high beam assist - you press the button on the end of the left hand stalk to turn it on.
High beam assist now working. Driver malfunction 🙄. Unfortunately the whole computer system (head) is having to be re-programmed Next week as three BMW technicians (progressing in seniority) have all had a go at installing updates and CarPlay and the car is having none of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 07:54 AM   #11
mcdokika
Captain
mcdokika's Avatar
United Kingdom
81
Rep
627
Posts

Drives: M5 CP
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon7 View Post
Picked up my new M5C in Singapore Grey, 20 plate, on day one from Chester and drove home to East Midlands. Discount was £20k off retail. I have Matt brace bars as that question seems to thread a lot? When I found the car one of the questions I asked the salesman was ďDoes it have adaptive headlights?Ē He replied it did. Day three I went out for a night drive only to find that it does but not high beam assist. Why would a manufacturer offer one without the other?

Also Iím a bit annoyed with the Connected app. Unable to check out with CarPlay. An error occurs. Canít load 3D Remote View as the cameras canít be activated. In summary ďUn-Connected ď is more apt. BMW could learn a lot from rival apps I think.

Final moan. Iím hoping that I get some snap, crackle and pop after my 1200 run in service? I havenít really pushed the revs and even now only have 250 miles on it but why do I feel that I may be disappointed?

All that said itís a fantastically responsive machine with a great cabin and exterior presence. A bit of a change from the 911 Targa 4GTS daily drive that Iíve just said goodbye to.
Unfortunately you don't get the pops and cracks from 2020 due to new EU regulations. Have seen a few videos, and the difference is massive between 2019 and 2020 modells, in terms of cracks and exhaust noise. But you can always retrofit something on it, if you want to .
__________________
M5 CP Alpine white
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST