BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Secondary Downpipes Installed - Review

03-11-2020, 12:14 AM   #1
harmonster
Rep
Drives: M5C

Secondary Downpipes Installed - Review

Hey all, had a lot of trouble finding information on secondary downpipes so figured I'd share my experience. I made a late-night impulse buy a few months ago and finally got around to installing over the weekend.

Goal: A little more sound (success!)
Other mods: Nothing other than disabling the ASD
Downpipes: Evolution Racewerks Secondaries (~$500 shipped when purchased from x-ph )

TLDR; 20-30% louder at WOT, shifts/pops/bangs are ~50% louder. Almost no difference at idle and cruise.

What's it like?
Cold start: Boomier, louder (but they are boomy/loud stock so...)
Warm idle: Can only tell if standing behind the car - slightly more burble
Revving: Pops are much louder
Cruising: Can't really tell if any different
Mid-throttle: Slightly louder
Full-throttle: 20-30% louder, deeper tone - just what I was looking for
Shifting/Decel: Pops are much louder, probably the biggest difference

How's the install?
I did the install with a buddy on jackstands. Took ~4 hours. Notes as follows:

- There is a tiny round gasket you need to swap over from the original downpipes. I didn't notice until installing the drivers side, so we had to redo the passenger. Whoops...
- Biggest PITA is getting the v-band clamps back on. There is very little space and lining everything up is tricky. I had to climb on top of the engine to get it done.
- 2nd biggest PITA is you have to remove the entire cat-back (it's one piece). That means pulling off the rear under-tray and rear cross-brace. Because of the exhaust it's definitely a two-man job.
- Fit for aftermarket pipes is excellent. The v-band clamps don't close up quite as much as stock, but otherwise fitments was spot on!

Final verdict
For <$500 and some cursing it's hard to complain. I'm very happy with the WOT sound change, but didn't get the idle and cruise sound I was looking for (think E63 loudness). If I had known you had to remove the entire exhaust to install them, I would have gone for a cat-back instead and kept all the cats.

Hope this helps. Any questions, ask away.
Appreciate 1
GTATX1105.00
      03-11-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats and thank you for the review

Do you have any downpipe pictures you can share with us?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:14 AM   #3
kani179
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonster View Post
Hey all, had a lot of trouble finding information on secondary downpipes so figured I'd share my experience. I made a late-night impulse buy a few months ago and finally got around to installing over the weekend.

Downpipes: Evolution Racewerks Secondaries (~$500 shipped when purchased from x-ph )

TLDR; 20-30% louder at WOT, shifts/pops/bangs are ~50% louder. Almost no difference at idle and cruise.

What's it like?

How's the install?

- There is a tiny round gasket you need to swap over from the original downpipes. I didn't notice until installing the drivers side, so we had to redo the passenger. Whoops...
- Biggest PITA is getting the v-band clamps back on. There is very little space and lining everything up is tricky. I had to climb on top of the engine to get it done.
- 2nd biggest PITA is you have to remove the entire cat-back (it's one piece). That means pulling off the rear under-tray and rear cross-brace. Because of the exhaust it's definitely a two-man job.
- Fit for aftermarket pipes is excellent. The v-band clamps don't close up quite as much as stock, but otherwise fitments was spot on!

Final verdict
For <$500 and some cursing it's hard to complain. I'm very happy with the WOT sound change, but didn't get the idle and cruise sound I was looking for (think E63 loudness). If I had known you had to remove the entire exhaust to install them, I would have gone for a cat-back instead and kept all the cats.

Congrats buddy!!

I just deleted the resonator. I would say 10%-15% louder. I want a little more volume. Was considering going catless secondary. Do you recommend it? Also can you post a sound clip please. Thank you !
      03-11-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
momo1M
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kani179 View Post
Quote:

What's it like?

How's the install?

Final verdict

Congrats buddy!!

I just deleted the resonator. I would say 10%-15% louder. I want a little more volume. Was considering going catless secondary. Do you recommend it? Also can you post a sound clip please. Thank you !
Hi
I have a comp amd just received my GT haus cat back only
Was debeating between either resonator delete or secondarys

Any thought?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:09 PM   #5
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
I have the same secondaries and they barely change the sound, now I’m thinking I’ll just do primaries too.... this car is so quiet inside, love it.

I have a Comp btw.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 12:32 PM   #6
harmonster
Rep
Drives: M5C

My car is a comp too. Can't recommend mixing resonators/catbacks/etc as I haven't tried yet.

My gut is that a full cat-back is probably the best solution for sound and likely wouldn't require the removal of any cats. If I were to get a catback, I would probably put the stock down pipes back on.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 12:43 PM   #7
kani179
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Quote:
My car is a comp too. Can't recommend mixing resonators/catbacks/etc as I haven't tried yet.

My gut is that a full cat-back is probably the best solution for sound and likely wouldn't require the removal of any cats. If I were to get a catback, I would probably put the stock down pipes back on.
Ok cool. Thanks for the info.
      03-12-2020, 09:48 PM   #8
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

I'm running the GThaus SGT rear section with ER secondaries and I still want more sound in idle, cruise. Idle revs and Wot sounds good, and the pops bangs are loud but you can always hit the exhaust button and it cuts off the pops and bangs leaving you with just the exhaust note. I think a full cat back eliminating the resonator and a set of secondary pipes is ideal. It's the most sound you can get without going fully catless.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 12:56 AM   #9
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Quote:

What's it like?

How's the install?

Final verdict

I can't find secondary cheaper than $700. Saw some armytrix for $698 and ER are almost $800. Wish I could get a sweat deal u got for $500. Also if u don't mind posting any video. Thanks
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #10
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

I got the secondary ER's, Dinan resonator delete, GThaus SGT rear section, and Project Gamma front mount intakes. Car sounds like Thor now. Videos coming soon
Appreciate 1
GTATX1105.00
      06-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #11
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDriverX View Post
I got the secondary ER's, Dinan resonator delete, GThaus SGT rear section, and Project Gamma front mount intakes. Car sounds like Thor now. Videos coming soon
Waiting on ur video eagerly
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 1